3 Peaks Walk.........Yorkshire

No direct experience, yet...

planning on doing it with a friend from Darn Sarf sometime towards the end of next month. Not sure I'm really fit enough any more though! I was half dead the other night after climbing to the top of Anglers crag in Ennerdale! :ph34r:

I found a useful book that's sitting by my computer - "The Novices Guide to completing The Yorkshire 3 peaks Walk" by Brian Smailes. Cheaper direct than through Amazon. I'm sure a search will throw up the right place, if you're interested.

Edited by Guanajuato

"The Novices Guide to completing The Yorkshire 3 peaks Walk" by Brian Smailes.

Thanks Guanajuato, this being one on my hit list I'd be interested in that link! My head-on straight up the side approach to hill walking is slightly different to a route I've found published on the net! I've OS'd a 22 mile, 6 hour route on tracks with just over half a mile taken cross country at Sell Gill Holes. So I'd be interested in what the experts suggest!

Does the Cafe check out/in walk work on trust or are there checks/controls to confirm your visit to each peak?

Paul

Does the Cafe check out/in walk work on trust or are there checks/controls to confirm your visit to each peak?

It normally worked on trust when I did it rather a long time ago. I was however questioned on checking in as to whether or not I had actually completed the walk. Why? The reason was that I was wearing a Ramblers' Association and 'ramblers don't do this sort of thing'.

Good luck and I hope Guanajuato has recovered from his trip to Anglers Crag :anibad: .

MBF

We did this walk last Saturday having done the three (plus..) caches previously (Ingleborough being the day before :-O)

We made it round in 9 hours 44 minutes with only a few short stops and no cache hunts.

Please feel free to contact me if you want routing advice etc. Or even a tracklog!

Oh... MBFace, what ARE you talking about? The six of us that did it on Saturday are all Ramblers :D

Have done the 3 Peaks several times, but the Whernside cache appeared after my last visit so can't comment on that one but the other two are easy to find in the time limit... As to rest breaks ... what are they? LOL. Cheers MaxKim.

To add to this... The Whernside one is the closest to the route and a very easy find. With fast fingers I reckon you could find and log this with only a couple of minutes time lost.

Not cached there but done all three peaks a few times when living in Harrogate. I'd recommend the campsite in Horten in Ribblesdale. It's central to the peaks and the perk of a pub next to site for a hot scoff and a beer at the end of the day. Magic.

I'd also reccommend a stay in Gordale scar nice village nearbye (Malham) and no doubt a few caches there.

Mmmm got me thinking about a return trip now

TheWhoUK

Oh... MBFace, what ARE you talking about? The six of us that did it on Saturday are all Ramblers :D

I did not make the statement (hence the quotation marks :anibad: ). It was the greeting I received on my return to the café to check in and they seemed pretty serious about it.

MBF

Done it twice, once in 7:18 (with several seasoned mountaineers) and once in 11:37, this was with several people who probably never even walked to the local shop!

Tip for the walk is have a ground crew stationed at Ribblehead, this kind sole can carry some supplies and also pickup anyone who can't hack the pace.

We did this walk last Saturday having done the three (plus..) caches previously (Ingleborough being the day before :-O)

We made it round in 9 hours 44 minutes with only a few short stops and no cache hunts.

Please feel free to contact me if you want routing advice etc. Or even a tracklog!

Oh... MBFace, what ARE you talking about? The six of us that did it on Saturday are all Ramblers :)

I'd be interested in the routing advice / tracklog if you get a moment.....Hopefully doing this in 3 weeks time - work permitting.

Sorry, no home t'internet access ATM, will try to remember to bring the tracklog into work.

This has a GPX file for download:

http://www.haroldstreet.org.uk//route-preview.php?route=105

Cool. Thanks for that. Managed to download it.

One more question - or rather two more......(sorry to highjack the thread!) - -

Clockwise or any anti-clockwise?

Are the caches do-able during the walk?

Sorry, no home t'internet access ATM, will try to remember to bring the tracklog into work.

This has a GPX file for download:

http://www.haroldstreet.org.uk//route-preview.php?route=105

Thanks. :)

With the aid of the route description from the link at the top of the thread I managed to plot the route, which matches this exactly. The only tricky bit of planning is from Pen-y-ghent to Dismal Hill.

The path across this next mile or so is often not very well defined, and detours are often best made to avoid the wettest sections. From personal experience it is very easy when trying to take the most direct route to sink waist deep in to the bog, and to then feel very uncomfortable in wet, peaty clothes for the next couple of hours until they dry!

Sounds fun. :)

Thought I'd follow this up

Along with a friend (who's been introduced to Caching now - ChilTheArcher) I did the three peaks last Thursday. Awful weather for it, but we got back to Horton within the 12 hours. Photos Here

I'd printed the details for 9 caches along the route, in the hope that we'd have enough time. They were Pen Y Ghent (GCTJNM), Pen-Y-Ghent (GC5EF2), Hull Pot (GCGZPF), Batty Box (GC14J05), Batty Moss Viaduct (GC148E6), Whernside (GC5EF3), Picnic on the Pavement (GC1C9T7), Ingleborough (GC5EF4) and Sulber Gate (GCJDC0) - all bar the last one are pretty much right on the route.

With the foul weather, the PDA & GPS stayed firmly in the car. So we decided that we'd try to find the caches near the summits without the GPS.

On Pen-Y-Ghent, we found the SOTA cache very easily. Gave up on the other cache up there after a couple of minutes as the rain & wind picked up. We'd done a schedule based on Nasimith's rule, and were about an hour ahead at this point.

Getting from Pen-Y-Ghent to Ribblehead (where we'd parked a car with lunch) was 'fun' - Pretty sure we lost the path going through Black Dub Moss, but eventually found it again on the other side after several soggy adventures in the bog. Hard going through that bit. We were still about an hour up on our schedule at ribblehead.

The path up Whernside after leaving the railway is much improved over my last visit about 15 years ago. A couple of fit people could probably get a child in a buggy up there now!

Whernside was another easy find, made tricky by the low cloud, howling wind and horizontal rain.

Once we dropped off the top, the route down was obvious and fairly easy going. Once we got to the road and over to Souterscales, the path over the bogs was another brilliant paved route. The way up onto Ingleborough is VERY steep, and hard going after the stuff that's gone before. It was made more disheartening because we could hardly see beyond our feet, so weren't sure how far we had to go.

We decided against looking for the Ingleborough cache as we were completely done after the steps up, visibility was about 10 yards at best and the wind was very strong. So bad that we struggled to find the trig & cross shelter.

That's when the 'fun' started though - Our guidebook said to head 100° from the cairn near the top of the path up. We found a cairn, headed 100° and shortly hit a lovely big arrow made of stones laying on the floor. I thought it pointed in the wrong direction, but decided it better to get off the mountain and then work out where we were. The path we followed took us down past Gaping Ghyll. Once there, the rain finally stopped and I got out the (Now rather soggy and ruined) map and we found a route back to Horton over Long Scar Lane. Had we known it, we could have nabbed a few more caches on that route as well! There was a real sense of relief when we hit the 'proper' path off Ingleborough at Sulber Nick!

All in all, a challenging day which left us rather wet and bedraggled. The worst bit for navigation is from Hull Pot to High Birkwith, and if the weather is bad, the top of ingleborough is so featureless that identifying the way off is hard!

But we enjoyed it all the same.

2 Days later we were in Ingleton and could see the top of Ingleborough more clearly than we had when we were on it!