Can't Login anymore..

Juicepig

Site fall down go boom. I was trying to log my cache maintenance and it worked fine until it didn't. Most anything I try hasn't worked for maybe 10-15 minutes now.

(insert random joke about GW6 logs overwhelming servers here)

Sorry everyone, I'm defragmenting the internet. :blink:

So is this where we realize that we spend too much time at the the GC site and start to wonder what we've become?

I'll start us off in a new direction with some rusty social skills;

"So, do you...................do stuff?"

come on! I was having fun activating my new travel bugs!

No offense to the volunteer's but they are just that. Volunteer's.

I wouldn't be heart broken if they upped the price from $3 if we could maybe get some people that have an income on the line when they don't want to work.

Sorry everyone, I'm defragmenting the internet. :blink:

So is this where we realize that we spend too much time at the the GC site and start to wonder what we've become?

I'll start us off in a new direction with some rusty social skills;

"So, do you...................do stuff?"

come on! I was having fun activating my new travel bugs!

I sit around waiting for websites to come online

Time to upgrade those servers. Long past due.

They did upgrade eveything a while back and as far as I can remember, I've never had problems getting into the site. In the past, the site went down nearly every Sunday night. I'm thinking this is just everyone logging all of their GW6 caches.

What do volunteers have to do with the site being down? The programmers and system admins aren't volunteers. I think the hamsters are paid as well. Maybe they forgot to feed them today.

--Marky

I wouldn't be heart broken if they upped the price from $3 if we could maybe get some people that have an income on the line when they don't want to work.

Actually, the Groundspeak crew are not volunteers but paid employees. I'm sure they're working on the situation as we speak. The website has been running fine since they did upgrades, including a new database. In the past, the site went down nearly every Sunday night as everyone was logging all of their caches.

Um.... about 3000 cchers each getting at least 10 caches. probably more this weekend (I found 30). All the TBs logged at GWVI. It started now because people are just getting home from GWVI.

Also some of the lackeys were at GWVI too.

Edited by Wacka

Few things:

1. Keep in mind people that there are over a thousand people registering an account on geocaching.com every single day (I made a topic about it). At last check, it was 1790 on May 10th. With numbers like that, I can forgive some downtime as the server screams in pain when registering a new account :blink:.

2. I've always been rather curious as to why the message board stays up when the gc page goes down. I assume they're kept on entirely different servers, but for the sake of curiosity, if anyone could confirm that or not, I'd sleep just slightly better at night :lol:

Edited by Kabuthunk

Ok what is GW6 ?

It would be nice that when the site goes missing that one of the crew would post a note here so that we knew that they are aware of the problem.

Only takes a mintue to post a note.

So, I just got a notification for a new cache within 6 miles, but I don't have the coords, cos the site is down.

Interesting how that works. =)

I was able to log 3/4 for the day using the regular gc site. I wanted to log the last one, so I used The WAP site to log my final find of the day. It seems to be up (for now)

GW6= Geowoodstock 6, The biggest event in the history of geocaching. It was Saturday in Wheatland, CA. poor town, their population is 2200. We made it about 5200 Saturday! :blink:

Edited by Wacka

Few things:

1. Keep in mind people that there are over a thousand people registering an account on geocaching.com every single day (I made a topic about it). At last check, it was 1790 on May 10th. With numbers like that, I can forgive some downtime as the server screams in pain when registering a new account :blink:.

2. I've always been rather curious as to why the message board stays up when the gc page goes down. I assume they're kept on entirely different servers, but for the sake of curiosity, if anyone could confirm that or not, I'd sleep just slightly better at night :lol:

Confirmed. It's not only on different servers, it's on a different domain entirely. Outside of that, I don't know much else about how the GC/Waymarking/Wherigo/CacheInTrashOut servers interconnect.

Edited by Team Black-Cat

I usually am chatting in the geocoin discussion section of the forums, but I was having trouble logging on to GC.com and thought I'd just check here and see if I wasn't the only one having trouble. :lol:

Yup... must be an overload on the server. This usually happens during the x-mas season (when a lot of GPSrs are gifted out, new accounts are made and everyone has a lot of extra time on their hands for geocaching). ;)

This 3 day weekend isn't even close to over and already, the GC.com server is overloaded and running slow (new caches, lots of logging, new accounts and don't forget all the photo downloads). :(

Just wait until Monday night when loads of cachers are returning home from vacation and turning on their computers... they're all gonna want to log at once. :blink:

Might be worth to just give it a little extra time and wait until Tuesday or Wednesday to log all those logs. :)

In the meantime... :) Happy caching! :D

Ok what is GW6 ?

It would be nice that when the site goes missing that one of the crew would post a note here so that we knew that they are aware of the problem.

Only takes a minute to post a note.

You are right, which is why as soon as I noticed the site was down I posted that we were aware and working on it. :blink:

Then as soon as we knew it was completely back up I posted again.

I know its annoying when things go down but it happens at times.

Edited by Michael

Time to upgrade those servers. Long past due.

They did upgrade eveything a while back and as far as I can remember, I've never had problems getting into the site. In the past, the site went down nearly every Sunday night. I'm thinking this is just everyone logging all of their GW6 caches.

Glad I logged mine on the Treo as I went along. :blink: I did want to log some trackables tonight; I got one in and then I was getting the error page, argh!

Does anyone with a link (a href tag) in their profile notice that the link is broken? Or is it just me?

I have lots of links in my profile, and they seem fine. Have you checked your html and made sure that the html tidy didn't mess with it?

I have lots of links in my profile, and they seem fine. Have you checked your html and made sure that the html tidy didn't mess with it?

It must have been fixed by the time you checked. I found another profile at random and noticed their links were broken as well. The code was fine in my profile.

I checked today and my profile is normal, without my changing anything. Thanks for the help, though.