$1 microcache container

The Target by us has a $1 bin and just got in a bunch of cheap-o camping accessories. Among these is a "waterproof match" set, with 100 matches and a plastic "waterproof" cylinder to store them in. I don't know how waterproof this really is, but for a buck, it's worth looking into. The tube is about 3 inches High and 1 inch wide, plenty big to get a list or even mini swag into. It has a screw on cap with a rubber ring to seal it. The other $1 stuff they have might make good caching gifts as well (cheap pocket knife, first aid kits, emregency blankets, etc).

The Target by us has a $1 bin and just got in a bunch of cheap-o camping accessories. Among these is a "waterproof match" set, with 100 matches and a plastic "waterproof" cylinder to store them in. I don't know how waterproof this really is, but for a buck, it's worth looking into. The tube is about 3 inches High and 1 inch wide, plenty big to get a list or even mini swag into. It has a screw on cap with a rubber ring to seal it. The other $1 stuff they have might make good caching gifts as well (cheap pocket knife, first aid kits, emregency blankets, etc).

Thanks for your post. However, match containers are a well known container for micros. Come to Beaver Countty Pa and you'll see what I mean. B)

I've picked up a couple of dozen of those, over the past couple of years (and now have all the emergency matches I'll ever need).

Funny thing about the packaging - the matches don't actually go with the container, even though they're packaged together. The match tube has a striker bar on the bottom, for lighting a "strike-anywhere" match. However, the matches that come with it are actually safety matches, and can only be lit by striking them against the special phosphorus strip on the side of the box. Anybody who fills up the container with matches and throws away the empty box, will be in for a disappointment (and maybe a weekend of cold food while camping).

Yeah, its tough to stuff an ammo can down inside a highway sign. :lol: But we found just the thing: waterproof match containers. :blink: We get em at wallyworld for 88 cents without the pesky mismatched matches. Don't even have to paint em, just wrap a piece of wire around em and hang em inside the sign.

I've picked up ammo cans for $3.50. They work pretty well for caches.

Ironically, I picked up an ammo can for a buck at a yard sale yesterday. It will be tough finding a spot to place it as a micro, though, which is what this thread is actually about...

Sorry, I thought it was about cheap containers.

Posting about cheap containers is fine. I didn't know you could get them for .88 cents elsewhere so, when I saw them I thought i was an awesome deal. I've been seeing a lot of those "Emerald Nut" screw top containers lately in caching, so thats a free container and sturdy if you use their product. They're green too, which helps.

Try these:

14f1b1d1-a039-4a75-8e4b-614e7f54bed0.jpg

@ 83 cents each from here. Way better than pill bottles, film canisters or matchstick containers. :blink:

I've read a lot about those preforms, but I've never seen them in use. I imagine they would be very weatherproof and sturdy?

Hey, and on top of weatherproof, and sturdy, you have an easy way to tell if you're the FTF with these! If the seal is broken, you didn't make it in time to be FTF....lol!

Sorry...just had to make that comment...hehehe

-april