The cost of gas

I am doing more. The cost of gas hurt, but its the only cost of caching(After buying the gpsr). So if it cost $20 or $40 for hte day, its still cheaper than other things. Movies, theme parks, ect..

On top of that, consider the gas mixed with going to a theme park or movie or something. If you go to a park and it's an hour away, you have that gas money and the fee to get in the park...

And heck, a sporting event? There's some major coin, too, mixed with gas.

Unfortunately, gas is going to be there no matter what. If you can get to everything by walking, biking or public transportation, that's outstanding. For me, no go, so gas will have to be used. I just plan everything better.

I can't help thinking about it this way: Suppose one of our elected leaders had stood up six months ago and said--

I have a plan that will, in a few month's time, reduce the miles driven by Americans by 5 percent; cause a massive shift in new-vehicle purchases from gas guzzlers to more efficient models; increase ridership of mass transit; spur sales and use of bicycles; increase telecommuting; cause manufacturers to consider discontinuing low-MPG models; stimulate interest in electric vehicles; make commute-length a significant factor in home-buying decisions; effectively increase worldwide oil reserves; and compel a national dialog about expanding domestic oil exploration and development.

Four-buck gas did the trick...

Having lived through the 70s energy crisis, I'm semi-optimistic that we'll weather this storm, too. I'm just dismayed to hear some of the dumb ideas from that era being considered again.

I tend to use my bicycle more. If I have to drive someplace to get caches, I take my bike with me to get the ones within 5 miles of that location.

Mostly though, I get caches along the route to/from work, altering paths SLIGHTLY to get what I can...a few a day. The price of gas has limited trips just to go caching. Anytime we go someplace I ask my wife if we can leave early so we can get caches along the way.

I also cache at lunch but the area but I have mostly pick the 3-5 mile area around my building is clean. I have started placing a few hides near there and they get swarmed upon!

I try to only make special trips once a weekend to cache and never very far...within 20 miles.

Although some folks have mentioned alternatives to using fossil fuel-powered vehicles, including biking and walking, some recent news articles have highlighted another alternative which is a bit speedier, and which is becoming popular in the Central New York state region: using large trebuchets (aka catapults) based upon Medieval-era designs but with the addition of flight/wind/drift calculations run on modern PCs; here is a link to one article on the trend.

Although some folks have mentioned alternatives to using fossil fuel-powered vehicles, including biking and walking, some recent news articles have highlighted another alternative which is a bit speedier, and which is becoming popular in the Central New York state region: using large trebuchets (aka catapults) based upon Medieval-era designs but with the addition of flight/wind/drift calculations run on modern PCs; here is a link to one article on the trend.

"Aer Flingus!" :) Sign me up!

Anyone who hasn't seen this movie yet, "Who killed the electric car?," should see it.

If only GM had stayed with their wonderful and well-loved EV-1 electric car, they wouldn't be closing down plants and putting people out of work today. They would be ten years ahead of Toyota and Honda by now in economical, zero-emission vehicles sold.

Errr... ahem... I am not getting political on you, as my points below are not at all political, but rather, I just wish to ground this discussion in real science and other realities for a moment. Here goes:

Electric vehicles and hydrogen-powered vehicles are not an answer to dependence upon petroleum fuels. The reality is that electric vehicles and hydrogen-powered vehicles are still entirely dependent upon petroleum products (i.e., oil and its derivative products, such as diesel fuel and gasoline, etc.) in order to produce the electricity and/or the hydrogen, and thus such technologies are still TOTALLY linked to and dependent upon the price of oil. And, the government subsidies that currently underwrite a portion of the production of commercial electricity in the USA would likely be quickly reversed if everyone switched to all-electric cars, and further, the current rather sizeable surcharges imposed by the federal government and states in the USA on gasoline and diesel fuel for vehicles would be extended in such a case to include electricity and hydrogen as well, if and when it were to be used for powering vehicles.

Has the soaring gas prices caused any of you to go caching less or about the same?

Our family has TOTALLY quit geocaching, mostly because of gas prices. It feels great too. What a burden off of my shoulders. My kids used to bug me to death to go out geocaching. But after a while, it got old. Too many carpy caches out there with a bunch of junk in them. We always used to trade up, and for what? More junk from disrespectful cachers (if you want to call them that). Glad to be out of the game. We have found much better things to do. Cache ya later!!!!!!!

Has the soaring gas prices caused any of you to go caching less or about the same?

Our family has TOTALLY quit geocaching, mostly because of gas prices. It feels great too. What a burden off of my shoulders. My kids used to bug me to death to go out geocaching. But after a while, it got old. Too many carpy caches out there with a bunch of junk in them. We always used to trade up, and for what? More junk from disrespectful cachers (if you want to call them that). Glad to be out of the game. We have found much better things to do. Cache ya later!!!!!!!

Bummer that your family and you soured on the game. Enjoy your much better things to do.

I still enjoy caching very much and the cost of gas hasn't affected my enjoyment of the game at all. It is still very inexpensive. Try taking a family of four bowling. Yikes! :D

Gas prices have not impacted my caching, even though I have actually been caching less this year as compared to last. Such is to say that my caching has slowed, but not because of gas prices. I fully agree with previous posters that the price of gas for caching is still cheaper, and is far better spent caching rather than watching some lame-o Hollywood flick.

I'm tempted to join in on the off-topic political discussions in this thread, but I have no more "warnings" left and I don't want to get banned. :D

I looked around a finally bought a Segway to use for caching and for errands. Looking at the map I realized that most caches are grouped in specific geographic areas very accessible to the Seg. The only problem is the being stealthy. People tend to notice someone on two rolling wheels standing. Other than that this thing is made for geocaching.

I was wondering whether the gas crunch has affected your roaring around in the powerboat.

Just curious.......

I was wondering whether the gas crunch has affected your roaring around in the powerboat.

Just curious.......

As a matter of fact, it has. We have not had it out since August of 2007. And it is for sale. Looking?

Bummer that your family and you soured on the game. Enjoy your much better things to do.

I still enjoy caching very much and the cost of gas hasn't affected my enjoyment of the game at all. It is still very inexpensive. Try taking a family of four bowling. Yikes! :D

I wouldn't say we soured on the game. It's more like rude people and the economy has. The rude people are the ones who don't trade up. Drives me nuts. As far as gas prices, they will CRUSH this country. Brace yourself. Sooner or later, you will feel it too. One thing you are right on....try bowling with a family of 7!

I wouldn't say we soured on the game. It's more like rude people and the economy has. The rude people are the ones who don't trade up. Drives me nuts. As far as gas prices, they will CRUSH this country. Brace yourself. Sooner or later, you will feel it too. One thing you are right on....try bowling with a family of 7!

I can relate to what you are saying. I have thought a couple of times about archiving my caches because sometimes my ammo boxes come up empty after a few visits. I'm not sure there is any solution other than to either restock them or archive them. I guess that's part of the game. Sure can be a bummer, though. So far I have chosen to restock.... :anicute:

Anyone who hasn't seen this movie yet, "Who killed the electric car?," should see it.

If only GM had stayed with their wonderful and well-loved EV-1 electric car, they wouldn't be closing down plants and putting people out of work today. They would be ten years ahead of Toyota and Honda by now in economical, zero-emission vehicles sold.

Only IF the federal government would have stepped in then and slapped them... or better yet, LET THEM DIE ALREADY... They dug their grave 12 YEARS AGO. Let them bury themselves and we'll turn the page for them.

The Steaks

P.S. My Prius DOES Plug In! *for now just the 12v battery, and the EBH* But eventually...

Even if they had stayed with the electric car they would be in the same position they're in now. They are not dying because they don't make electric cars, they are dying because they make unreliable cars.

Your forget to mention the overpaid union workers who bankrupted the company.

Back on topic, i'm certainly enjoying the $2.20 a gallon price i'm paying now. :o

Even if they had stayed with the electric car they would be in the same position they're in now. They are not dying because they don't make electric cars, they are dying because they make unreliable cars.

Your forget to mention the overpaid union workers who bankrupted the company.

Back on topic, i'm certainly enjoying the $2.20 a gallon price i'm paying now. :unsure:

$2.20/Gallon in California? That's what I pay! I thought you guys were always like $1 more than the rest of the Country. :(