Car ID Placard

Why would someone use something like this? I don't have a placard that says "In vet with cat" when we're at the vet.

Nice way to advertise your away from your motor for sometime B)

I don't use one, but it I can see it serving many purposes. I promotes the sport and it lets people know that your car is not abandoned on some old country back road waiting to be toed away.

Its a great thing to carry in your car, I printed up 2 of them and gave one to a friend.

We both use it.

If we are going out solo into the woods and no one knows where we are, If there is trouble at least it will narrow down the time it takes to find you.

Nice way to advertise your away from your motor for sometime B)

That was my first thought, too... "Go ahead and break in; I'm a mile away in the woods!"

I do like it when cars have a caching-related window decal, bumper sticker, or vanity plates. Something that indicates that the driver is a cacher, but that mostly wouldn't be noticed or understood by non-cachers. Something just a little more subtle than a neon green, prominently placed, "I'm away from my car for a while!" sign. :)

I don't use one, but it I can see it serving many purposes. I promotes the sport and it lets people know that your car is not abandoned on some old country back road waiting to be toed away.

Police generally sticker a car they think might be abandoned, and only have it towed away if it remains there for an extended period of time (I'm talking days, not hours).

And as TotemLake mentioned, this has nothing to do with the geocaching.com website, and it needs to be moved towed to the correct forum.

Edited by Prime Suspect

magTB_sm.jpg

I have this on my car, making it a travel bug. Not only does it notify other cachers in the area that I am there they can write down the code and see who owns it later so they know who was also out there in case they did miss me.

I was grabbing a cache that someone hid the other day under there back porch and they were leaving as I was logging everything in there TB hotel. They had to pull back in the driveway to meet me cause they thought it was rather unique.

Hey...that looks familiar. Thanks for posting it. :D

I met a cacher a few weeks ago who has a heart condition and realizes there's potential danger for him each time he goes after a cache. He laminated the placard and writes the cache coordinates on it with a dry erase marker.

There are some things that are a little more important than your car.

I had a couple cachers volunteer to translate the placard into French and German and those should be available soon.....after I've recovered from Woodstock. :anibad:

magTB_sm.jpg

I have this on my car, making it a travel bug. Not only does it notify other cachers in the area that I am there they can write down the code and see who owns it later so they know who was also out there in case they did miss me.

I was grabbing a cache that someone hid the other day under there back porch and they were leaving as I was logging everything in there TB hotel. They had to pull back in the driveway to meet me cause they thought it was rather unique.

I see there is a lot of virtual logging of your TB. That is against the rules. You might want to consider removing the tracking number (from the picture) so it doesn't get locked and rendered useless.

Why would someone use something like this? I don't have a placard that says "In vet with cat" when we're at the vet.

Nice way to advertise your away from your motor for sometime :anibad:

Doesn't the fact that a person isn't sitting in the car tell the same story?

Not necessarily. I could be behind the first tree over there going #1.

Edited by bflentje

Nice way to advertise your away from your motor for sometime :anibad:

Doesn't the fact that a person isn't sitting in the car tell the same story?

Not necessarily. I could be behind the first tree over there going #1.

Then wouldn't you be away from your car for some time?

I think this placard is a great idea for when you are in an area in which you are likely to get lost or injured. I realize most of us have a GPS with us, but not all of us mark our cars when we go on long hiking trips. :anibad: There are many troubles you may come across such as lack of signal, an avalanche, dead batteries, lost/broken/fried GPS, or broken leg.

If you didn't tell anyone where you would be, and you went missing for a while, and they found your car with the placard in it that gives coordinates for the geocache(s) you are looking for, it would give rescuers a place to start looking. Even if you DID tell someone you were going caching, for example, "in the Poconos," the only thing they know is you went caching in the "Poconos." However, the information your friend gave and the location of your car with the placard with exact coordinates may get you saved. :D

As a matter of fact, I read an article about a rescue that did occur successfully because the caching group left something behind that would tell which caches they were going for in a particular area.

. . . Just a few thoughts on the matter . . . :D

I think it's a pretty kewl tool. As a LEO, I've noticed that my own caching activities often have me parking in places not particularly common for Joe Public. I have a plain ol' sheet of paper, scribed in black Sharpie, which I plop on my dash that reads, "I'm out geocaching. Be back soon. Please don't tow me. Sean Brewer 407-***-****" This placard seems a better solution to what I've been using.