All you astronuts

EraSeek

Actually, not today, but tomorrow. Confirmation of the landing will be at 4:53 p.m. Pacific 5/25. About fifteen minutes after the actual landing of the Phoenix.

I''m really looking forward to this mission. The lander contains a DVD with 250K names on it and one of them is mine. Even got a nice certificate attesting to the fact. I'll be at the Sacramento airport tomorrow at touch down time; hopefully they will have the announcement of a successful landing before I board my flight.

"Originally, a system with ‘planetographic’ latitude and longitude increasing to the west was developed to be used with the Viking observations. The US Geological Survey and other organisations then adopted a system with ‘planetocentric’ latitude and longitude increasing to the east for making future Mars maps and imagery. Both systems were approved for use on Mars by the International Astronomical Union in 2000.

(The ‘planetocentric’ system uses co-ordinates derived from the angle measured from the equator to a point on the surface at the centre of the planet, whereas the ‘planetographic’ system uses co-ordinates which are mapped on the surface.)

Most maps produced before 2002 use the earlier co-ordinates system, but now the majority of Mars missions and instrument teams have now adopted the latter system defined for Mars, namely the planetocentric latitude and east longitude system. These definitions have been widely adopted by NASA and ESA missions and other users of planetary data and are likely to remain in use for a decade or more.

The articles featuring the latest Mars images published on the ESA Mars Express web site quote positions given in this latest system, with longitude ranging from 0-360 degrees East. This is different to Earth, where we give longitudes as 0-180 degrees, East or West. "

pdslatlon-scale.jpg

Edited by EraSeek

I''m really looking forward to this mission. The lander contains a DVD with 250K names on it and one of them is mine. Even got a nice certificate attesting to the fact. I'll be at the Sacramento airport tomorrow at touch down time; hopefully they will have the announcement of a successful landing before I board my flight.

Hey K7-wave! I see you! Here you are on Mars!! http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/phoenix/...D10_RRGBM1.html

Hey K7-wave! I see you! Here you are on Mars!! http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/phoenix/...D10_RRGBM1.html

Yeah, that's the disc alright. The weather's great here on Mars :laughing: .

Out of curiosity, how did you get your name on there?

Definitely, curious minds wanna know.

Linky!

Yes, that's it! It was open to anyone and free. Be sure to get your name on the next mission which will be the Mars Science Laboratory rover.

Very Cool k7-wave, very cool. I will be sure to get on that. I am glad that so many people are interested in space exploration. I wish that I had been introduced to it earlier on in life. It would also be nice to have Bill Gates money as I would fund a mission like this if I had the oppurtunity. Thanks again.

Edited by MAJOR LEAGUE INFIDEL

Out of curiosity, how did you get your name on there?

Definitely, curious minds wanna know.

Linky!

Yes, that's it! It was open to anyone and free. Be sure to get your name on the next mission which will be the Mars Science Laboratory rover.

Not as exciting as Mars, but you can send your name on the next mission to the Moon.

Edited by jcar

By the way, there is a big full moon rising tomorrow evening and a good explaination of why it looks so big. Basically you expect things overhead to be closer like clouds and thus the moon looks smaller and things on the horizon you expect distance so the same size moon looks bigger

myth_moon_illusion_020903_03.standard.gif