temporary caches

Nurse_Pat

I have a question regarding temporary caches that are placed during an event. A friend of mine in NC got me into geocaching, & she tells me that you don't really get credit for finds for a temp cache, you can only log the event once. But I went to an event last summer here in WI with temp caches, & most of the people logged the event X number of times, one for each of the temps they found, which made it look like they attended more events than they really did. I think credit should be given for temps found, as they can be more difficult sometimes due to less description, etc, but should those finds be under the event category? To bad events can't have a separate section with a temporary cache log to record them in there, & have a new section in addition the the traditional, virtual, event, earthcache, etc categories. What is the correct way to log them or don't you?

Different areas handle the temp caches in different manners...as you've seen.

There's a ton of debate over whether they should count or not.

Personally, I don't log anything like that because they aren't geocaching.com caches. It's all part of the fun of an event to me. It has nothing to do with whether or not they're as fun, difficult, or whatever as a normal cache. They aren't listed here, so I see no need to log them.

If an event host/owner allows for the extra finds, fine with me. I won't log them, but really don't care if others do.

Edited by KoosKoos

What kind of "credit" do you want??

For finding a geocache that meets the guidelines and listed on geocaching.com, you get to find it, log it, and receive a yellow smiley in your stats.

If you find anything else, why would you expect to get "credit"?

If your child get an "A on their report card, do you let them log for an extra smiley? If you get a promotion at work? If you do a good deed?? Temp caches are placed outside of the guidelines and are not listed on geocaching.com...you don't get to log them to boost your smiley count.

One official geocache, one log, one smiley.

I have a question regarding temporary caches that are placed during an event. A friend of mine in NC got me into geocaching, & she tells me that you don't really get credit for finds for a temp cache, you can only log the event once. But I went to an event last summer here in WI with temp caches, & most of the people logged the event X number of times, one for each of the temps they found, which made it look like they attended more events than they really did. I think credit should be given for temps found, as they can be more difficult sometimes due to less description, etc, but should those finds be under the event category? To bad events can't have a separate section with a temporary cache log to record them in there, & have a new section in addition the the traditional, virtual, event, earthcache, etc categories. What is the correct way to log them or don't you?

This morning I was exploring a section of a nearby park I don't get into very often. My trail suddenly dead ended at private property. I backtracked till I found an inviting bushwhack opportunity in the direction I wanted to go. I certainly was not in "search mode". But suddenly, right in front of me, I noticed a collection of cover at the base of a tree. I knew there had not been any permission granted for a Geocache there. I was pleasantly surprised to find a lock-n-lock in a cammo bag. It was a letterbox. The total surprise made it great fun. I signed the log. Should I log this at GC.com? This is NOT a hypothetical situation. It really did happen. I am thinking of trying to find the listing online and seeing if the "clues" make sense to me.

In my area the events are often in state parks. The land managers allow event caches knowing they'll be removed shortly after that weekend. Often these spots offer wonderful views or good hikes but are just not suitable for permanent traffic for one reason or another. It lets us get into locations that are typically off bounds and it lets the rangers show off some of the special spots in their park to the people that may appreciate it the most.

Sometimes at events I see caches that work well for the temporary run, but just wouldn't hold up if left there permanently. Some have battery-activated works or need to be restocked or tweaked somehow throughout the day/weekend.

I usually do log the caches I find at events as attendeds; like you, I wish there were a way to log them officially as event caches. Some of them are much more challenging than the permanent caches around.

I suppose that gc won't ever do that, because it's not worth using reviewer time for ephemeral caches, but "publishing" a cache on the website implies the cache has been reviewed for adherance to the guidelines.

The idea of creating a separate list of guidelines and a different method of review (for instance, making the event sponsor "responsible" for any problems and requiring that person have to meet certain standards and qualifications etc) has been batted around in various threads before, but nothing has ever come of it. Jeremy has said he was leaving the ability to allow multilogging on the site and leaving the event sponsor the option of allowing it, but it he asked that it remain "reasonable" -- Most events I've been to tend to offer 10-15 event caches for an event that lasts a weekend and draws 100 -200 people--or perhaps 5 caches for a single day event like a breakfast. That seems reasonable to me.

This is of course everyone's opinion... so here's mine!

Geocaching.com is a cache listing service. If the cache is not listed on Geocaching.com, then it shouldn't be logged on Geocaching.com.

The reason "temp" caches are not approved by the Groundspeak reviewers is that they don't meet the listing requirements for saturation or permanence.

Multiple logging is just a smarmy way to bump one's numbers. :anibad:

Find your temps, enjoy your event, log it once. :D

DCC

Multiple logging is just a smarmy way to bump one's numbers. :laughing:

It's been a long while since anyone accused me of being smarmy... :D

Let's see...hm with event caches I'm averaging 215 caches a year and without them I'm averaging 194 caches a year. Ooooh, serious number bumping going on there! :D

Edited by Neos2

If only the owners of temp caches would get them listed on this site and end all controversy.

That said, plan be would be like you point out. Have a Temp Cache as an even sub log.

Otherwise it's just FUBAR to attend the event once for each temp cache.

Oh and temp caches are not allowed to be listed on this site so logging them is rather an end run.

Being a member of WGA, you are probably aware that this issue has been heavily debated on the Wisconsin Geocaching Association website for months. Even though the debate is still going on (link and link) , the association has voted to not allow the logging of temporary caches at WGA events.

I really do not care how others choose to log finds. I would choose not to log temps for the reasons given in previous posts. The biggest reason being that temporary caches are not listed on GC. Keep track of them in GSAK if you want. Besides temp caches, you can also keep track of finds from other listing sites, which is not possible on GC.

Another option is creating a single Attended log and adding your finds to that log. Most logs for temp caches end up being "Found GCXXXX while attending the event" pasted over and over anyway.

Let's see...hm with event caches I'm averaging 215 caches a year and without them I'm averaging 194 caches a year. Ooooh, serious number bumping going on there! :D

Didn't mention any names or single anyone out... just a general observation and my opinion on the subject. :)

Keeping the newbie forum "flame free" is always a good goal. (Don't wanna scare 'em off)! :D

DCC

Well that's 21 caches a year. Assuming that you are the age of the average geocacher (36.2) and live to 98 years old that's an additional 1,032 finds in your lifetime. That's pretty serious number bumping if you ask me.

Multiple logging is just a smarmy way to bump one's numbers. :D

Let's see...hm with event caches I'm averaging 215 caches a year and without them I'm averaging 194 caches a year. Ooooh, serious number bumping going on there! :)

Well that's 21 caches a year. Assuming that you are the age of the average geocacher (36.2) and live to 98 years old that's an additional 1,032 finds in your lifetime. That's pretty serious number bumping if you ask me.

Alas, I am beyond the average age for a geocacher and will fall short of that lofty goal by about 237 caches :D

--but I'd be happy to still be able to cache at age 98 ! :anibad:

Logging caches on geocaching.com is for logging geocaches listed on geocaching.com. Should I log the five letterboxes that I've found? Not on geocaching.com. They're not listed there! Should I log the geocachers that I've met? The cars in the parking lot at an event? (Well, outside of the travel bug jeep. But I logged that as a travel bug.) If it's not listed on geocaching.com, why would ANYONE log it on geocaching.com?!?!?

The great, modern American concept of Entitlement. I'm entitled to log them, because I found them! So what if they're not listed here? I'm entitled to it!

The great, modern American concept of Entitlement. I'm entitled to log them, because I found them! So what if they're not listed here? I'm entitled to it!

So true. Have you been talking with Vinny?

...you are probably aware that this issue has been heavily debated on the Wisconsin Geocaching Association website for months. Even though the debate is still going on (link and link) , the association has voted to not allow the logging of temporary caches at WGA events.

Wow, I just read those threads and was surprised at the vehemence. People who are boycotting events because they can't pad their find counts? And here I thought all along that the point of events was to socialize with other geocachers.

Actually I have a solution that should keep those Wisconsonites (and other event multi loggers) happy. If you're a cache owner with an old, archived cache, just log your temp finds there. That keeps the event pages clean and you'll actually have "founds its" instead of "attendeds". But best yet, you can also log letterboxes, waymarks as well as caches that are listed on Terracaching and Navicache, and if you use your GPS to find a 7-Eleven or post office, you can log those too. It's your cache page so you don't have to bow to the arbitrary whims of the event owner.

If you don't own an archived cache, just find one by an owner who is inactive and has left the game

Well, as you see, everyone has an opinion (just like every other geocaching issue!). But that's what they are: opinions.

What you need to do is decide how *you* want to "play the game" of geocaching. It sounds silly, but everyone has a basic philosophy, whether they've articulated it to themselves or not. Some people go for the numbers. Some go for writing long log entries to share their experiences. Some "just wanna have fun." If you think about why you geocache, it might give you some clarity as to how you want to handle situations like this one.

That said, as one poster remarked, every area has its own way of dealing with this sort of thing, so it's probably a good idea to get a sense of how people around you do it, and do it that way, too. Being part of a community is a big part of geocaching, and angering those in your geographical community may not be the best way to start.

Jeannette (angevine)