dumbest question of the day

lantus

okay...i never knew until i tried geo-cashing that i'm dumb as a stump! i have a garmin nuvi 360...figured out how to send coordinates to it for my first adventure to find a 1-1. i went to the park where the cache is located...and all my garmin would show me was a teeny picture of the geocache...it wouldn't help me to get to it...it just stayed on the same map with a picture of where i parked my car and where the geocache was in relation to my car. isn't it supposed to direct me to within about 40 feet of it? arrrggghhh. what am i doing wrong?

You are close to getting it figured out. There should be a menu screen with an icon similar to "FIND" or "GEOCACHE". Highlight and click the icon and choose your target. Your Garmin should now direct you to the cache.

Good Luck!

i've looked for an icon with "find" or "geocache". no luck. i wonder if the nuvi has some other symbol, and, yet, i've scrolled through all the menus and don't see anything. thanks for trying to help. i really appreciate it

I've never used a Nuvi to cache with, however I know it can be done. Were you in the pedestrian mode?

El Diablo

i've looked for a "pedestrian mode" and can't it. maybe nuvis don't have that feature? thanks for the help.

It's there. My wife's nuvi 200 has it. I believe it's under the "Navigation" menu.

El Diablo

I've never used a Nuvi to cache with, however I know it can be done. Were you in the pedestrian mode?

El Diablo

i've looked for a "pedestrian mode" and can't it. maybe nuvis don't have that feature? thanks for the help.

It's there. My wife's nuvi 200 has it. I believe it's under the "Navigation" menu.

El Diablo

i got so excited when i saw your reply...have tried and tried to find "navigation", i have address...food...lodging..my locations...spell name...fuel...intersections...attractions...shopping...parking...entertainment...recreation...community...cities...browse map...hospitals...transit...auto services...and coordinates. i can't find "pedestrian" under any of those? am i looking in the wrong place? thanks so much!

El Diablo

El Diablo

i got so excited when i saw your reply...have tried and tried to find "navigation", i have address...food...lodging..my locations...spell name...fuel...intersections...attractions...shopping...parking...entertainment...recreation...community...cities...browse map...hospitals...transit...auto services...and coordinates. i can't find "pedestrian" under any of those? am i looking in the wrong place? thanks so much!

Ok...I just got my wife's out. Here's how you do it. on the main screen press the little wrench icon on the bottom to get into your setup.. Then press "Settings" Then find your "System" button and press that. Then you should see a "Usage" button. that is set to Auto. Change that to "Pedestrian". Also in the settings is where you can find your Navigation button. You can change that to off road under route preference.

El Diablo

El Diablo

El Diablo

Ok...I just got my wife's out. Here's how you do it. on the main screen press the little wrench icon on the bottom to get into your setup.. Then press "Settings" Then find your "System" button and press that. Then you should see a "Usage" button. that is set to Auto. Change that to "Pedestrian". Also in the settings is where you can find your Navigation button. You can change that to off road under route preference.

El Diablo

El Diablo

El Diablo

El Diablo

thank you sooooo much!!! i found it...went back out to the park and found my very first geocache. i can't believe how excited i am!! so very nice of you to go to the trouble to help me.

El Diablo

El Diablo

El Diablo

thank you sooooo much!!! i found it...went back out to the park and found my very first geocache. i can't believe how excited i am!! so very nice of you to go to the trouble to help me.

I'm glad to help. This is why these threads are here. Happy caching!

El Diablo

Other tips for using the nuvi for geocaching....

In the settings (near where you found how to switch to pedestrian mode)

Make sure you are in:

Pedestrian Mode.

"Off-road" Mode. (The default with be Faster Route or something like that)

Map or Display, North UP (bring a compass with to know which way north is)

Zoom all the way in when you are near the cache.

There are third party vehicles you can download from various websites. The car and pointer that come with the nuvi as large and hard to see exactly where you are. There are better arrow and crosshairs available that you can download and install on the nuvi, and select as your vehicle.

Welcome to your new addiction. You will never be able to quit now. You will be sitting at home and a new one will pop up and you'll have to go find it. You will have bags under your eyes at work in the morning and people will think your on crack. Have fun!!!

hello, I am new in geocaching, and I have a dumb question , somebody found my cache, and he wrote something like "CITO is a good idea for the next visitors." What is CITO? :blink:

It just means that there is a bit of rubbish around where they found the cache and future hunters could come prepared with plastic bags to take some away with them, that way leaving the area better for others to enjoy.

CITO = Cache In Trash Out

hello, I am new in geocaching, and I have a dumb question , somebody found my cache, and he wrote something like "CITO is a good idea for the next visitors." What is CITO? :lol:

It just means that there is a bit of rubbish around where they found the cache and future hunters could come prepared with plastic bags to take some away with them, that way leaving the area better for others to enjoy.

CITO = Cache In Trash Out

Other tips for using the nuvi for geocaching....

In the settings (near where you found how to switch to pedestrian mode)

Make sure you are in:

Pedestrian Mode.

"Off-road" Mode. (The default with be Faster Route or something like that)

Map or Display, North UP (bring a compass with to know which way north is)

Zoom all the way in when you are near the cache.

There are third party vehicles you can download from various websites. The car and pointer that come with the nuvi as large and hard to see exactly where you are. There are better arrow and crosshairs available that you can download and install on the nuvi, and select as your vehicle.

thanks for the advice! i'll try to find a different pointer. that car IS big!!

Welcome to your new addiction. You will never be able to quit now. You will be sitting at home and a new one will pop up and you'll have to go find it. You will have bags under your eyes at work in the morning and people will think your on crack. Have fun!!!

oh geeez...i think i know what you mean...i promised myself i wouldn't do ANY geocaching today so that i can get stuff done around the house. but, somehow...and i'm not exactly sure how it happened....my nuvi has two new caches located in its memory. now, i can't just IGNORE them sitting there like that, can i?

okay...i never knew until i tried geo-cashing that i'm dumb as a stump! i have a garmin nuvi 360...figured out how to send coordinates to it for my first adventure to find a 1-1. i went to the park where the cache is located...and all my garmin would show me was a teeny picture of the geocache...it wouldn't help me to get to it...it just stayed on the same map with a picture of where i parked my car and where the geocache was in relation to my car. isn't it supposed to direct me to within about 40 feet of it? arrrggghhh. what am i doing wrong?

This poster e-mailed me and I replied by e-mail BUT I thought I'd copy and paste my reply here just in case someone else searches for answers to this question or a similar question...

Hi there,

I'll tell you what I know about MY Garmin (I had the 640 or something and now I have the 680) and I hope it works for yours.

I use the Garmin to get me to the location - like the park you went to.

Then I go to settings and I change from "fastest route" to "off road" and then I go to settings and change from "car" to "pedestrian".

Then I go back to the map.

It will recalculate your path to the cache - if it doesn't do it automatically then go chose to get directions to it again.

Then - ZOOM IN. Even though I've used the GPS a lot to look for cache's I still forget to zoom in sometimes. It will give you a straight line to the cache - within 20 feet normally. You may have to walk on a path that doesn't follow the GPS's line - but you can turn towards it when you get closer.

I'm able to do it this way until my little blue arrow is on top of the yellow box.

Couple other things - using the arrow instead of the car or truck icon makes it easier to see where the cache really is in relation to where you are. The other things are too bulky.

My GPS has the miles/feet in the bottom right corner AND the minutes/seconds in the bottom left corner. I'm not sure if yours does. What I've found is that the GPS will say I've arrived when I'm within 5-50 feet and the miles/feet turns to a black and white flag. The TIME will still be there though - and it will say something like 15 seconds. I then walk a few feet forward and see if the # goes up or down - I keep doing this until it gets to me to about 5 seconds and then I'm normally REALLY close to where the cache is. This doesn't always work if reception is bad but it has worked more times than not :laughing:

(second e-mail)

I'm glad to hear you found some caches - be careful it's addicting.... I found ONE with a friend of mine just to see what it was about and that was about 2 months ago - yesterday we found 12 or 13!

After awhile you'll start to figure out where they're hidden and what to look for - Nanos can sometimes be these tiny cylinder black things - about the size of an eraser on one of those big pencils you used in kindergarten. Micros are often altoids candy tins painted black or magnetic hide a key boxes... other sizes are usually tupperware containers or ammo boxes - BUT people often paint or otherwise camoflage them.

I'm not sure if you're doing park/hiking ones or urban/city ones - but just keep reminding yourself that sometimes things MOVE that you wouldn't expect to - there were a couple in the beginning that we couldn't find and then we'd accidentally touch or kick something and realize it could move, lift up, or shift and there would be the cache in or around it... :D

Have fun!!!