Puzzle Geocoin - Sales now open

Theotokos

I had an idea for what I thought would be a pretty cool coin. However, after getting cost information back from the mint I'm not so sure anymore as they are going to be costly. So I wanted to post here to see if there would even be interest in such a coin at the cost.

The coins would have to sell in the $13-14 range I'm thinking. Each tile is a separate die and the coin will have to be made out of zinc. We are getting an updated price to have the base be made out of brass but that will increase the price even more. The die fees are going to be expensive as there needs to be one for the tiles and also for the other pieces of the coin. I thought these would be neat but if they are too expensive to make and sell, it wouldn't be worth it anyway. So please let me know your thoughts on the cost of this coin and if people would be willing to fork it out for such a coin.

puzzleb.gif

Very cool idea! Are you set on having those colors in it? Maybe if the blocks were all one color or just the metal with raised numbers, it wouldn't cost as much? Not really sure how that works though? I love the design, it reminds me of a little plastic game I used to play with. Hope it gets made. I think I would pay the price though if you left the colors in. A lot of coin designs are getting more and more creative and more costly.

Will the text 'Do you have what it takes' and 'to put the pieces together' be in the same character type? (I don't know exactly how you call it in English) Or will it be different?

A great idea anyway (thumbs up!)

Thanks for mentioning that..they should be the same - I just changed it.

I know I already commented on this, but I am so excited about this coin. I want it now! LOL

Really, really great idea!

Thanks Joni, I thought it would be pretty cool too. So far it sounds like it isn't unreasonable to go ahead with this coin but I'll wait to hear more comments on the subject.

I would go for 5 so I could use some for special missions. Boy I haen't played with one of those in years but it has appeal to young and old alike... Great colors, please don't change the red and white, mine was one color and harder to work...LOL

You know the funny thing about these, I went and bought some little plastic ones just to see how they work. I mixed up all the numbers and couldn't get it back in order again..lol.

Cool coin idea. I can certainly understand why they would cost that much if not more. See if a coin company would be interested in selling them - unless you are locked into the idea of "controlling" the sale of them. A presell, like with the recent Nocturnal and Planisphere coins might be the way to go. Those coins sold well and were rather expensive because of moving parts too. Oh, and don't forget the Pocket Decoder - expensive and yet highly sought after. I say go for it! B)

CF30

I had an idea for what I thought would be a pretty cool coin. However, after getting cost information back from the mint I'm not so sure anymore as they are going to be costly. So I wanted to post here to see if there would even be interest in such a coin at the cost.

The coins would have to sell in the $13-14 range I'm thinking. Each tile is a separate die and the coin will have to be made out of zinc. We are getting an updated price to have the base be made out of brass but that will increase the price even more. The die fees are going to be expensive as there needs to be one for the tiles and also for the other pieces of the coin. I thought these would be neat but if they are too expensive to make and sell, it wouldn't be worth it anyway. So please let me know your thoughts on the cost of this coin and if people would be willing to fork it out for such a coin.

puzzleb.gif

Nice idea, needs a finishing touch though. The lines Do you have what it takes and to put the pieces together does not line up with the white outher ring. For example: the distance between the word takes and the white line is not equal on all places.

Thanks everyone for your posts and emails. We are going to go ahead with this coin and we will be doing it with a brass base to give it the weight and feel that we like to see in a geocoin. I'm not sure what it will end up costing when all is said and done but we will work to make this a quality coin with the best possible price. Stay tuned..I think this one might take a bit of time.

Thanks everyone for your posts and emails. We are going to go ahead with this coin and we will be doing it with a brass base to give it the weight and feel that we like to see in a geocoin. I'm not sure what it will end up costing when all is said and done but we will work to make this a quality coin with the best possible price. Stay tuned..I think this one might take a bit of time.

Well the very best of luck......keep us posted please :blink:

After seeing this coin Tokio's we are so glad to see you have decided you are going to go ahead and make this coin. We both love the idea and would like to be updated as this coin moves along. We would def. would purchase one. Great idea, this coin is going to be very popular and congrads to making this coin become a reality to you.

Barry and Valarie aka sweetlife

puzzleb.gif

I like the idea, and I'd be in for a few. An idea though, have you thought about replacing the #'s with a pic of some sort? Or would that drive the price up to where it wouldn't be feasable? Something simple like the Groundspeak logo would work(just an example as I'm sure you would have to ok that with them) or maybe 2 versions like the found it smiley and the DNF frown. just a thought.... :D

Are you dead set on it being done in metal? I use to have these when I was a kid in plastic they are called slide puzzles. (Sturdy plastic). And you can get just about any screener to print on the back. just an idea to drop the price most likely in half if not even to 1/3.

Edited by ComputerCacheBug

Any news? I can't wait for this coin ;)

Yes, as a matter of fact. We are just waiting for the samples right now and once we're happy with those, the production run will start.

There were a lot of good ideas for the front tile design but we decided to go with the original numbers. We felt it was just simpler this time around until we got everything else taken care of. However, depending on how these are received, there could be other designs and variations in the future.

Any news? I can't wait for this coin :D

Yes, as a matter of fact. We are just waiting for the samples right now and once we're happy with those, the production run will start.

There were a lot of good ideas for the front tile design but we decided to go with the original numbers. We felt it was just simpler this time around until we got everything else taken care of. However, depending on how these are received, there could be other designs and variations in the future.

Yay! I love this puzzle, never bought it, just borrowed ;), but now I am glad I never did because it will be a geocoin :D !!

Edited by Ble68