The True Cost Of Caching, High fuel costs

O.K, it's a question I am sure that has been in the back of everyones minds, but should we now be thinking seriously about curtailing our caching activities given the huge increases in the cost of fuel ?

I for one have just purchased a diesel car with good fuel consumption and a low emmision co2 engine but have egg on my face given the disproportionate price of derv against that of petrol !

Am certainly thinking that I should only cache in an area if I have another reason for being there.

:rolleyes:;):ph34r::mad::P:P:D;):mad:;):P:P:D<_<<_<<_<<_<<_<

where i live its costly to have to drive anywhere. everyplace is so spread out with lots of hills making the petrol consumption even more costly. the local caches are also very spread out. the nearest place to me that i can say has a good cluster of caches is inverness. and to be honest if i tried saying to my husband i want to go to inverness just to go caching i think the proverbial would hit the fan. hes ok with my new hobby but not to the fact that we would have to travel just for the caches, i have to work around trips we have to do or plan.

Speaking as someone who found the majority of 750 caches without the use of a car....

Now that I've finally passed my test, and have a reasonably economic Diesel car, I am considering going back to relying on public transport for any local caches, as fuel has gone up 25p since I bought the car.

I can travel all day on the West Yorkshire buses and trains for the same price as driving just 45 miles.

I also have a diesel car, do you remember in the 90s when everyone said how great and cheap they were to run so lots of people bought one, guess our lords and masters cottoned on to it aswell, not such a cheap option now.

I'm just about to get a bike through the tax break scheme where you pay for it from your gross wages, thought I'd get something back out of em at least. And I will be using it more and the car less in the future especially to find the local caches.

Edited by reelcutter

I'm just about to get a bike through the tax break scheme where you pay for it from your gross wages, thought I'd get something back out of em at least.

I knew this was possible for childcare, but not for buying bicycles. Do you have more information?

Where I work we use this scheme . I'm hoping to sign up next time they run it.

We have cut back on some caching due to the high cost of fuel. Using public transport is not an option here as it is none too good. We are sure if the price keeps rising many will cut back - only those with a large budget will be able to cache as they have...At the end of the day we do not have unlimited funds for a hobby and like most others have to budget to within our means. Of course I could also request a large payrise - telling the boss I need the cash for geocaching. laughs...

I'm just about to get a bike through the tax break scheme where you pay for it from your gross wages, thought I'd get something back out of em at least.

I knew this was possible for childcare, but not for buying bicycles. Do you have more information?

We are using cyclescheme.co.uk

Hope this is of some use to you I would do you a linky thing but I'm not sure how.

i will slowly stop using motor vehicles to cache with as fuel goes up of that there is no doubt.

but beware of the tax break scheme for bikes, its basically a hire scheme at the end of which you either pay a final payment to keep the bike or return it.

i found it easier to down to the local bike shop and buy a <£100 cycle, i am never going to use the performance of anything fancier and no one in their right mind would want to steal my sssss cycle at that price :rolleyes:;)

but beware of the tax break scheme for bikes, its basically a hire scheme at the end of which you either pay a final payment to keep the bike or return it.

It appears you are correct, these following quotes are taken from cyclescheme's FAQ's

Who actually owns the bike?

The bike and goods remain the property of your employer until the hire period finishes.

If your employer buys the bikes using external finance then the finance company will own the bikes during the hire period and not your employer.

Either way, at the end of the hire period you may be given the opportunity to buy the bikes for a fair market value (plus VAT).

What happens at the end of the loan period?

It's your employer's choice whether they opt to sell you the bike at the end of the hire period. If you choose to become the owner of the goods, you may be offered the opportunity to pay the Fair Market Value for them from your net salary. Your employer needs to assess each bike separately as to its worth but in our experience the market shows values to be around 5% of the original value. If you choose not to buy the bike you will be charged the equivalent of the Fair Market Value to dispose of the goods, probably to a charity.

The fair market value cannot be stated before or during the scheme as this could be considered a benefit in kind as hire-purchase does not warrant any tax-relief.

So basically whatever you decide you still have to pay the fair market value, unless your employer allows you to keep it free of charge, but you won't know this until the end!! ;):rolleyes:

I also have a diesel car, do you remember in the 90s when everyone said how great and cheap they were to run so lots of people bought one, guess our lords and masters cottoned on to it aswell, not such a cheap option now.

And no doubt those who are thinking of doing the same these days with LPG cars have the same to look forward to. ;)

Anyway, back on topic. I'll cache locally, and I'm dusting off the bike to help, but long distance caching will be a by product of other travel.

I'm going to stop now otherwise I might go into a political rant and upset them upstairs. :rolleyes:

And no doubt those who are thinking of doing the same these days with LPG cars have the same to look forward to. :mad:

I've been driving my work's gas wagon for 10 years on very cheap LPG; at 45p per litre at last fill up, :rolleyes: but, are my days numbered now?

Still, most of my cache finds are reached by public transport, but it does help living in the Capital, though ;)

There is know doubt in the future caching ability might be more of where you live. Here in South Wales caches can be far apart. Little areas of caches and quite a large area inbetween. Making it a difficult choice for many in Rural areas. Whilst in cache rich areas like the south east public transport is a good option. Especially if you are over 60 and get a free bus pass.

We tend to choose an area where there is a trial of six or so and then do whatever else is in the area.

Caching is our main leisure activity and the car (diesel Mondeo estate) does 45-50 mpg so we're not overly concerned at the moment. Public transport would be out of the question from where we live - the cost for four of us and two dogs just doesn't bear thinking about!

It's nice to get a good twenty or so on a day out the area though...

How come when fuel got to around the 90p mark there was a huge uproar and protests and everyone was do everything in their power to show the government what for?

Now we are paying around £1.15 mark you hear nothing about it...

Madness. it takes me about £58 to fill up and thats for a weeks normal use so when you throw in a weekend caching trip it starts to get expensive, I really just leave the singles caches until I can justify a trip doing around the 10 mark. Thankful I have 3 events and each are in different areas so it gives me a great opportunity to combine caching and the events.

I have started using my 125 scooter to get to work costs about £6 per week 15 quid a year tax and about £150 insurance. and I have no reason to being doing more than 60mph on the roads to work. Best thing is you can drive it without doing motorbike licence.

Just yesterday I cycled a 30 mile round trip just to find two caches. It was well worth it too.

Saved petrol, got fitter, burnt calories, enjoyed the outdoors B)

We don't have a good public transport system in our village so I often cycle 6 miles to the train station and hop on the train with my bike to go caching.

I saw this coming 12 months ago and changed my job to cut down my work mileage by about 30 miles a day so that’s helped :) . Our two main hols this year will be more expensive though, the jaunt to the Scilly’s and then Harrogate later in the year will hit us in the wallet B) .

We have always tried to cache economically by planning ahead to do groups of caches, usually at week-ends but the recent forays to do LQ:’s has proved to be quite expensive (300 odd miles for three caches – no moan, it’s our choice) even when using our little Rover that does about 40mpg (petrol).

Can’t see things changing until the world cost of oil drop’s, guess there’s no chance of that with the increasing demand from emerging countries, and the resource dwindling.

It does amaze me when so many people are moaning about the cost of fuel that lots of drivers still travel at high speeds and accelerate and brake hard which hammers fuel consumption. Can’t help but wonder if there is some correlation........

Keep smiling and caching,

H

Geocaching should probably be coming out of your family's leisure/entertainment budget. It's not a basic necessity of life (although I will freely admit to getting itchy because I only found 4 yesterday and if I don't get out soon this afternoon I will have had a less-than-8 found weekend for the first time in about a year!).

So have a meal in next time it's a toss-up between the Chinese take-away and Pizza Hut, and you will save enough fuel for a few caches, and probably a few calories too. Or share a car (I propose the term "cachepooling"), as has been suggested - several of my best caching days out have been with people I had never met but hooked up with across e-mail to go on a hunt.

And of course, many of us like to feel a bit green... so if higher fuel prices mean you produce less CO2, is that really a bad thing? In fact, isn't it the point of the fuel duty escalation brought in by (gasp) the last Conservative government? (I'm "carbon neutral", by which I mean, I'm neutral on the whole CO2 debate.)

When I go out it tends to be for a full day not just for an hour or two. My average cache finds per day of caching is over 9 and I expect it to remain at this level. When I go a longer distance I will generally make it a very long day- leaving before the morning rush hour if a weekday. However if I am not caching alone then I am not so bothered as if say there are two of you, then petrol is effectively half price. Whilst annoying, the high price of petrol is not necessarily prohibitive for most people when you consider that the rest of the day's entertainment is free- £10-20 doesn't get you much these days in "rip-off" Britain. Also over 50% of the cost of petrol still goes to the Government in taxes- who wouldn't begrudge helping out Gordie after his serious mis-management of Government finances.

The way I see it, I dont spend loads of money sitting at pubs drinking and I dont really go on shoping sprees - so the little extra I spend on petrol to cache is ok but thats just me. And it makes me happy plus I get some exercise and I'm not sitting at home doing nothing B)

Maybe the answer is to place caches that are more local to you. That way you increase the number of caches and save on fuel costs and if you place say 4 or 5 on a circular walk of maybe 3 or 4 miles you are helping folk get fit and saving the planet so you can feel real good about yourself.

Mind you I havent taken my own advice (yet) but I am thinking about it (honestly)

Now if we all did that how many caches would that add up to?

My guess is lots, reckon someone will work it out.

Maybe the answer is to place caches that are more local to you. That way you increase the number of caches and save on fuel costs and if you place say 4 or 5 on a circular walk of maybe 3 or 4 miles you are helping folk get fit and saving the planet so you can feel real good about yourself.

Mind you I havent taken my own advice (yet) but I am thinking about it (honestly)

Now if we all did that how many caches would that add up to?

My guess is lots, reckon someone will work it out.

The only problem with hiding caches that are local to myself is that it does not help myself in any way shape or form I still have to travel X amount of miles to claim a find. If everyone went placing caches and no one was finding becasue they where staying local there would be an awful lot of Geotrash about the place.

Surely there has to be an end to placing caches at some point in time as you can only cover so much of planet earth. Next you will be finding caches at lamp posts or bus stops or taxi ranks. hardly worth dragging someone half way round britain for is it?

(whole statement is not directed at wolfshead)

any cache from my house more then 3 miles then forget walking! to catch a bus 3 miles would cost me £3 oneway and £3 return and no way would it cost me £6 in diesel in my car to travel 6 miles. as for save the enviroment have you seen the crap that comes out of a bus!!!!

Over the last two days I've had 2 caching trips to areas about 20 miles from home.

The venue for the Saturday was close to a station so I took my bike on the train and cycled a mile or so to the start, then got back on at another station further up the line. Cost me £6 return and took 45 mins each way with one change.

On Sunday the trains were less frequent and the weather didn't look too good so I drove, did just under 50 miles in the day, and took over an hour each way. I reckon 50 miles probably cost more than £6.

The advantage of the train was that the journey was relaxing and offered the opportunity to do stuff while travelling, it also meant I could have a couple of pints at lunchtime without worrying. And I didn't have to go back to the start point to pick up the car.

The advantage of the car is that I didn't have to aim for a train time to come home, and could potentially stay out longer.

All things considered if it's feasible then I'd take the bike on the train every time!

M:

its what poor people use to travel around in :lol:

you must live in a rich part of town

Town? What's one of those? :blink:

I live in something called "the country" - no streets, no house number, no pavements, no streetlights, lots of mud, lots of sheep, lots of cows - few caches and even fewer buses. Hard to believe isn't it?! :):)

I have a fairly economical diesel car but have been cutting back on caching trips over the last few months due to the price of fuel.

I have a cache trip planned this week but unfortunately it will be to remove and archive several of my caches which I now consider too far to go for maintenance.

I hope I am wrong, but I think there will be a big increase in the number of unmaintained/long time disabled caches due to the price of fuel so I am removing ones I know I wont be able to get to as quickly as I have in the past.

I have set one new cache this week within walking distance of home and plan to replace any that I archive with similar walking distance caches if I can find good places for them.

I reckon 50 miles probably cost more than £6.

Is there anyone who can work out what the cost of travelling 1 mile in an average car doing 30 - 50 mph is?

If we,ve done the sums correctly it's 17.71 pence per mile for us .

Petrol car doing not many motorway miles .

Since 7th Jan done 2806 miles

Bought 467.42 litres of petrol

Cost £497.09

This topic has been on my mind lately too, i've been trying to do caches en route to somewhere i'm going or as suggested by another cacher, places that are 'cache rich'. The local metro and side tracked caches are one way of geting out of paying petrol costs but unless you're a very keen walker its probably very difficult to get out of paying high petrol prices at all!

The other thing i thought of is searching for other local cachers to share trips out - does anyone know of a way to do this? I'm in Newcastle Upon Tyne.....

:rolleyes:

The other thing i thought of is searching for other local cachers to share trips out - does anyone know of a way to do this? I'm in Newcastle Upon Tyne.....

Try organising shared caching trips on your regional geocaching forums - cachers in the South East have had several successful caching outings organised this way. :D Having a quick look at the list of regional forums, I'm not sure you have one in your area though :)

I did my first cache by cycle today a round trip of 13 or so miles, I didn't use the car as the fuel warning light was flashing at me yet again, It seems to be almost always on at the moment. :)

But got one cache and managed to check one of mine out at the same time so it was worth the effort I think. :anicute:

I'm a non-driver, so it's not an issue for me, although I'm lucky to live in an area with very good public transport. I have a Zone 1 to 4 annual travelcard for work, which is subsidised by my employer, so most of my leisure travel in London is effectively free, and I get a third off rail travel in the South East as well, so I can go a long way for reasonable cost.

For those in London, it's worth looking out for TfL bus routes that go a long way into the sticks. There's a few of these around - the 465 goes from Kingston to Dorking, and the fare for this is only 90p. Travelcards and Oyster cards are valid throughout, and it goes through the very cache-rich area of Boxhill.

Lee