The Goldmine

Ding bat

Hi Gauteng Caching Community,

unfortunately I am not a statistican and just observing the current trend of placing new caches. To me it seems that ....

1. Most new caches are currently placed in KZN

2. Second most active provice is WC

3. Thereafter EC

Maybe Damhuis Clan can do one of his always accurate statistics on how many caches per active cacher was placed in each province in the last three months?

How about catching up in Gauteng and every active cacher places at least one new cache in October???

I at least have one cache planned beginning October.

Greetings from Cache Fan

Sounds like a great plan. When do the caches need to be published by. It went off pretty well in KZN and produced no less than 69 new caches. This caused quite a stir in KZN with lots of FTF's been found. Competition was fierce and there was no doubt lots of fun had by all. There are of course problems in that it is difficult to find suitable places and you also need to be sure that the cache is not in range of another as it happened with one of mine. So getting a final waypoint passed by Fish Eagle will be advisable. This is crucial in a multi/puzzle that may take some time in setting up.

Best is draw up a page to work on and when you are ready the cache can be published. But mark your final waypoint before anything and confirm if the spot is available. It will save you the trouble of having to go back and move the cache later.

I look forward to seeing many new caches in GP area and cannot wait to get up and find some of them. But perhaps we could see a few more regular containers with place for coins and bugs? Micro's and nano's are not all that much fun, and the GP area seems to be full of them.

And who knows I might just bring along my own to hide with a nice little puzzle to frustrate you all..... Bwhaaa haa haa

........................ Micro's and nano's are not all that much fun, and the GP area seems to be full of them. .........................

Wazat, I have to agree with you. I have just got back from Hong Kong and Australia [brisbane & Sydney.] 99% of Hong Kong caches are micros and nanos and the 1% that are not are in dodgy places that I would not leave TB's in. The city caches in Australia are all micros and nanos. Very frustrating when you want to leave TB's. I took about 10 with me and had to place them all in rural caches due to space. If one really goes to a bit of trouble then small and regular caches can be placed in cities - you just need to use your imagination and stealth skills to do so.

BTW, Pretoria is similar but at least there are smalls and regulars available if you look hard enough for them. Idonot have too much experience with teh Jo'burg caches though but would assume that to be similar.

Sounds like a great plan. When do the caches need to be published by. It went off pretty well in KZN and produced no less than 69 new caches. This caused quite a stir in KZN with lots of FTF's been found. Competition was fierce and there was no doubt lots of fun had by all. There are of course problems in that it is difficult to find suitable places and you also need to be sure that the cache is not in range of another as it happened with one of mine. So getting a final waypoint passed by Fish Eagle will be advisable. This is crucial in a multi/puzzle that may take some time in setting up.

And who knows I might just bring along my own to hide with a nice little puzzle to frustrate you all..... Bwhaaa haa haa

:P I agree with Wazat in the complications in especially placing and publishing a number of caches on a specific date, this is logitically a nightmare I guess.

I would propose that every GP cacher who wants to contribute just places and publishes her / his cache within the month on October, even for the larger GP area this should minimize clashes.

Micros are very common now-a-days, unfortunately I plan to place one, but then also to compensate a second regular cache. The micro will go up hopefully tomorrow for hunting from Saturday morning. :P

The Idea is try and publish them early to avoid frustration. You need not even have the listing ready for publication, all that you need is to "book your spot" so to say. Work on the listing later. I had a cache hidden for over a year that I finally published for the Spring Challenge. Although I never published it the spot was ready and marked as a possible site, but if it had gone up for review when I placed it, I could have held it back for the whole year it was hidden... theoretically. But if it had gone for review I am sure Fish Eagle would have pushed me to get it published soon enough... LOL.

I would propose that every GP cacher who wants to contribute just places and publishes her / his cache within the month on October, even for the larger GP area this should minimize clashes.

We are still in the process of collecting info on one new cache, but hopefully we can sort this out the weekend…on our second new cache we are still awaiting permission of the land managers….hope we can still add caches before the end of October.

We are still in the process of collecting info on one new cache, but hopefully we can sort this out the weekend…on our second new cache we are still awaiting permission of the land managers….hope we can still add caches before the end of October.

I hope those caches are in my area! :) I have five caches in the pipeline (in your area...aren't I nice?), all just waiting for permission of land managers. :o

How about Holding back on the new ones and have a Halloween drive So the caches get published at midnight on the 31st October. Although I would not recommend it to be searched for at that time unless perfectly safe to do so. Maybe push for publication cut-off by midnight but get them published on the 1st of November? Call it the Halloween Cache Drive or something? I know it is a bit narrow as far as time goes but it sounds like a fun theme can produce some cool caches... What you guys think?

Thanks, only one cacher placed a cache on our doorstep (4.6Km) :anicute:;) ….it is time RedGlobe can also enjoy the privilege to have caches close to home. :(:)

That's assuming I'm correctly guessing where you live... q: Either way, they won't be easy. You'll need to dust your thinking cap off.

How about Holding back on the new ones and have a Halloween drive So the caches get published at midnight on the 31st October. Although I would not recommend it to be searched for at that time unless perfectly safe to do so. Maybe push for publication cut-off by midnight but get them published on the 1st of November? Call it the Halloween Cache Drive or something? I know it is a bit narrow as far as time goes but it sounds like a fun theme can produce some cool caches... What you guys think?

What about a mass publish on 15 November? That'll give people more time, and by then I'll have my racer in my hands to go chase those FTFs with! :anicute:

Sort of puts off the idea of a Halloween dash. Up to you guys Just thought that keeping with the theme it makes it more interesting. I would love to see if anyone comes up with a Night time cache or two that may be published on request.

Eish - if I read what is happening to Gauteng cachers in the daytime there is no way that I would attempt any nighttime cache in Gauteng!

Sort of puts off the idea of a Halloween dash. Up to you guys Just thought that keeping with the theme it makes it more interesting. I would love to see if anyone comes up with a Night time cache or two that may be published on request.

Eish - if I read what is happening to Gauteng cachers in the daytime there is no way that I would attempt any nighttime cache in Gauteng!

Haa haa... true.

Although I have done 5 at midnight already in GP.....

Someone in the Cape (CapeDoc or Pooks - I dont remember) set up a night cache around CPT in which clues are collected from a car with a flash-light before taking one to a safe spot once multi clues are retrieved.

But yes - I have the firetacks ready for a night cache here too - but am worried about questions raised for an expat wandering around at night with a flashlight too.

Someone in the Cape (CapeDoc or Pooks - I dont remember) set up a night cache around CPT in which clues are collected from a car with a flash-light before taking one to a safe spot once multi clues are retrieved.

Yep, that's my cache.

If you use the same idea of staying in the car while looking for firetacks on trees, all you need is a safe spot for the cache. I was thinking of a dummy letterbox outside my house with a padlock ( you could make the number of firetacks at each location the numbers needed to unlock the padlock). (The dummy letterbox idea is borrowed from Tomtwogates). Even in Gauteng there must be suburbs where that would be reasonably safe.

Yep, that's my cache.

If you use the same idea of staying in the car while looking for firetacks on trees, all you need is a safe spot for the cache. I was thinking of a dummy letterbox outside my house with a padlock ( you could make the number of firetacks at each location the numbers needed to unlock the padlock). (The dummy letterbox idea is borrowed from Tomtwogates). Even in Gauteng there must be suburbs where that would be reasonably safe.

The one night cache I have done is the Moonlight and Blacklight by CSIM. If ever there was a tough cache, this was it. GerhardoosMPsa and I battled for a few hours to find it. We started in the daylight and really struggled to make out the UV paint on the first few area's but once we had figured out the actual starting point then the fun began. I think we searched for about a hour just to find the third point from there. Then probably another two to finally get the final cache... Which was probably very close to where we started from ... But I swear we must have walked a mile to look for it. I never took the final co-ords and it would be interesting to have known the position of the final in relation to the start....But in darkness with a keyring sized UV light from Spur.... Searching on rocks for something that could or could not be what you are looking for.... Now that is a challenge. Night caches Rock.... But must be in a safe environment.

Will be picking up our rental at about 12.30pm (from OR Tambo) and will be dropping it off (at Park Station)the next day at the same time.

Going a bit North West shouldn't be a problem.

CapeDoc recommended Cryptology before Andre went up on business last time, but other than that we would love to hear of some other good ones.

We won't be taking hiking boots up with us so terrain will have to be fairly easy. (Don't want to be getting our tackies muddy either! :)

Hi C&C....glad to hear you'll be visiting GP for a day! At least with geocaching it will make the trip worthwhile, and hopefully the weather will be good too to add the cherry on top! :)

There are quite a number of caches in the area - sort of Sandton way and then if you head out to Randburg way, there are some more. Are you looking for small to large sized caches, or just fun or good caches to do which could be micros or nanos as well?

Let us know what you're after and we'll give some more ideas! ;)

If you start from the Wanderers then there is:

Which Rock? by Far-Jar-Hug (GC1KGEZ)

Mink and Manure by Far-Jar-Hug (GC1MEY8)

Then come down Bompas Road to my two:

Le Con Field by BruceTP (GC1QBY4)

Beaufort Lions by BruceTP (GC1MEQF)

Then the field is wide open:

If you carry of towards Randburd then there is:

The Billy Goats Gruff by GreenJaM (GC17ZPM)

Hot Chicks and Pizza at the River by Jokers Guild (GC1P2N0)

and a whole lot more in Delta Park, other local parks and the Brightwater Common (3 caches)

Thanks Jors!

A big thank you to Carbon Hunter and Bruce TP for suggestions on caches we could do.

We really enjoyed the little time we spent in your part of the world and hopefully it won't be too long before we return.

Thanks Damhuisclan and his family for the tea invite. It was fantastic to finally meet you and your family and the Gold Diggers as well.

How about a technology get-together somtime in March?

The idea is to swap knowledge and ideas on using the various technologies we use for caching.

For example how do we all use GSAK, its stats, maybe the various spreadsheets we use.

I am also quite happy to share the SQLite queries Danie and I run and how to do this all, if there is an interest in this.

If there is an interest, then we can look for suitable venue.

Hi All...

Please share some recent cache stories of caches you have done in Gauteng area... we can then use this thread to reference for our future caching expeditions...

We did Lynwoodrif (in Pretoria East) on Monday after work. We arrived at the park at 5:15pm. It is the perfect quick dash cache, with all the right elements of interesting scenery (in a little suburban forest) and not too easy!

I hope I can learn from your experiences too!!

The idea is to swap knowledge and ideas on using the various technologies we use for caching.

For example how do we all use GSAK, its stats, maybe the various spreadsheets we use.

I am also quite happy to share the SQLite queries Danie and I run and how to do this all, if there is an interest in this.

This sounds like a good idea....make an Event of it! But just say it is a general get-together so that there is no "Agenda"...I've learnt that Events cannot have "Agendas".

I'm interested in the GSAK stuff....Rolf hates it - he says it doesn't work for him. I don't understand why, as Rolf is the one with the brains in our team. He is also a whizz of a programmer, but yet cannot get GSAK to work. I've been wanting to get it to work, but have not been able to spend much time on it. Unfortunately, I'm the one lacking with the grey matter, so not sure if I will ever "get it".

Let us know what you decide!

When we started caching we did not know about Gsak or how to download the caches to our Gps devices. So we did our first 300 caches by manually entering the coords. sigh And then to get our public profile to

work.

Anyways it took me a week to master gsak and since then we have had no problems at all. But in that week i thought I was going to pull all my remaining hair out!!

A techno get together would have been nice before I lost my hair!!

:ph34r:

This sounds like a good idea....make an Event of it! But just say it is a general get-together so that there is no "Agenda"...I've learnt that Events cannot have "Agendas".

I'm interested in the GSAK stuff....Rolf hates it - he says it doesn't work for him. I don't understand why, as Rolf is the one with the brains in our team. He is also a whizz of a programmer, but yet cannot get GSAK to work. I've been wanting to get it to work, but have not been able to spend much time on it. Unfortunately, I'm the one lacking with the grey matter, so not sure if I will ever "get it".

Let us know what you decide!