The Goldmine

Ding bat

Have you guys heard of Wherigo.

Thanks to Gerald, KZN has beaten you guys to it... The first Wherigo cache in SA GC1BB15- Wherigo takes off in SA And you won't need a Garmin Colorado either....

Yea, Ding bat, and I have both completed out first Wherigo mission (the introductory one with the little alien.

Will complete a few other "locationless" missions next weekend. Looks like an interesting concept.

Sorry we can not beat the Sandpit Cachers on humor but I can share some info we have seen when our coin ended up on a MEGA event in California GC134MJ, just see the number of logs of people that said they will attend the event and the logs of cachers after the event of people that attended the event. Even if all the SA active and non-active cachers come together we will not even come half way with the numbers.

:ph34r: CF you have some competition on event arranging. :)

The amazing "Nocturnal Geocoin - bronze" geocoin is available at www.CoinsAndPins.com.

http://www.coinsandpins.com/product_info.p...products_id=385

I will be placing an order on Wednesday evening ( 2008-06-04).

If there are any Gauteng cachers that would like to purchase any coins from there, please let me know, and I can add your requests onto my order. Shipping costs will be divided by the cost of your portion of the purchase. Please email (AntonDamhuis@cybersmart.co.za) me the item, and quantity you would like. I will confirm with you if I have placed the order on Wednesday night.

I am willing to purchase up to R2,000.00 on my credit card, so it is first come first serve. You can either get the coins from me here in Edenvale (after hours), or Sandton during working hours. Delivery is about 15 days.

Regards

Anton

I just wanted to know with the Wherigo do you get it as a find.

Haven't done a Wherigo cache yet, but I understand it is a physical cache you need to find using the cartridge. For that you'll get a find.

Not all Wherigo cartridges are caches though.

I will be placing an order on Wednesday evening ( 2008-06-04).

Just to let everyone know that the order placed was received this past week. And it seems since the order was under R1000.00 that there were no import duties charged (or I was just lucky this time round).

The Nocturnal coin is amazing! But has a hefty price at just under R200.00. Hope to show it off to fellow geocachers :ph34r: , but alas at this price it is unlikely to be released into the wild.

Hope to place another order in August for the hemisphere coins. If you interested in possibly ordering as well drop me an email, or look out to the announcement here.

Edited by DamhuisClan

We're are coming up to Gauteng next week. Going to be staying in Boksburg (yuck!!) :P for a few days and then Northgate. The 4-legged member of the team is competing in the World of Dogs and Cats. Can anyone suggest any "must-do" caches?

And to answer Ding-Bat: the Wild and Batty Red Clan.

We're are coming up to Gauteng next week. Can anyone suggest any "must-do" caches?

Depending on time here are some:

KP Sports Series - Most are quick / In Kempton Park.

Johannes Who? GC14CKZ (Must do!)

Controling Flight GCRY3E

Vic's Spot GCYQQ7

Lightning Strike GCYZHQ

Willow Park GC153AB

Gillooly's GCNDC8 (My favourite, but need some time to complete)

If you up to it Swamp City GC154MA (few people attempt this one)

Our cache Hunters treasure GC14HNC, is also cool, with a real pirate's map, but cachers seem to avoid it, as it is a multi stage.

If you want some company, I will happily join you.

Or if you are interested in a cup of coffee, we live in Edenvale, about 5 minutes from the airport.

Thanks Anton. We will give those a try. PM me your phone number and I'll let you know when we are in Kempton area so we can meet up.

Which part of Gauteng?

If you get a gap - do Eagle's Nest - the added bonus is we are giving away a "bagful" of stuff to anyone who pops into the house too.

Are you looking for good views / history / drive by / hiking / ???

Try do at least one of my Earthcaches too.

I'll PM you my cell number - please phone

Anlufu, I live about 10kms from Northgate. You're welcome to contact me as well if you are interested in meeting up or have questions on caches.

I like the following caches in this area (I can only make suggestions - not sure whether you prefer clever hides, nice views etc.):

"Rocky Hill" - GCWAV6

"Graffiti Wall" - GC19B9P (one of mine)

"Valley View" - GC17KTH

"Magnanimous Revisited" - GC10WAP (Also try "The Duka" (GC1465Z) close to this one - I've not been able to find it yet)

"Tonteldoos XII - Transvaal se Onafhanklikheid" - GC1BQF8 (another of mine)

"Monkey Business" - GCYH6P (only a micro - nice place)

Then there are others I can really recommend - but further out to Hartbeespoortdam, Midrand, Centurion & Irene. Don't think you'll be interested in those.

Enjoy!

There is also an event hosted in the Cradle of Mankind tomorrow morning - pity I did not know you were coming to make plans. But you're welcome - it is going to be a casual day.

The Cradle Caper Event (GC1DQNE):

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...f1-24d2bbb39c89

Edited by Team Ginger

Just to let you know that I'm having a farewell event on Sat 6 Sept at Moyo's on Zoo Lake - just a quick cofee and chat.

Cheers - link below to Carbon Hunter's Last Cuppa

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...c2-754581124010

hehe :):anibad: You better catch up on a few numbers while you can as your rate of finds is going to drop drastically once you arrive in the UAE!! :blink: Bummer, but that's a fact of life in this neck of teh woods. You will find all the caches in a matter of months then you will sit and wait for a cache to be placed and then pounce on it within a few days of it being published! :P

Have a great Event!

Just to let you know that I'm having a farewell event on Sat 6 Sept at Moyo's on Zoo Lake - just a quick cofee and chat.

Cheers - link below to Carbon Hunter's Last Cuppa

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...c2-754581124010

hehe :anibad::P You better catch up on a few numbers while you can as your rate of finds is going to drop drastically once you arrive in the UAE!! :D Bummer, but that's a fact of life in this neck of teh woods. You will find all the caches in a matter of months then you will sit and wait for a cache to be placed and then pounce on it within a few days of it being published! :)

Have a great Event!

Thanks - yes I see - 162 caches in the entire UAE - and only a further 48 in the huge country of Oman next door!

No Earthcaches (well we can change that at least :blink: )

Can't see evidence of any events having being held in the UAE? Will certainly be placing a number of cahes around too. So looking forward to it. At least I will be travelling back to SA a few times a year with the new job.

Ding Bat, I would do this one again, spend a little time with coffee and beskuit and contemplate the "Somewhere in the middle of nowhere." -GC137DD -

Enjoy, but be careful of the dirt roads, when I hunted it the one road in this area -S24 43.325 E28 16.720 - was totally washed away and nearly caused an accident. I am dead serious! Garmap Topo & Rec does not for nothing show "Nothing" of the D1394 in this area. The donga is probably 10 meters deep. :D

Hi there

I am heading up to JHB in about a week. Staying at airport hotel. Also travelling through to Saxonworld to visit my sister. Time will be TIGHT!

Any caches that are recommended near the airport or around Saxonworld?

I would rather do "Quality than Quantity" so puzzles, multi's OK so long as they don't take more than about an hour.

Suggestions appreciated!

:D

Hi there

I am heading up to JHB in about a week. Staying at airport hotel. Also travelling through to Saxonworld to visit my sister. Time will be TIGHT!

Any caches that are recommended near the airport or around Saxonworld?

I would rather do "Quality than Quantity" so puzzles, multi's OK so long as they don't take more than about an hour.

Suggestions appreciated!

:D

Hia Doc.

Pitty we wont be here next weekend, otherwise would have gladly taken you around to a view caches. If you here during the week let me know, and we can meet up for a cup of coffee/tee. I am 4 less then minutes from the Airport.

Some good caches on the East Rand:

Hunters Treasure (GC14HNC). Its one of mine and have had lots of good reviews (Remember to bring a ruler)

Water bird heaven (GC1ED95)

Cryptology (GC1GP80),

Northern lights (GC176YA) also quite good (need internet access while you do it)

Johannes Who? (GC14CKZ)

Looking a little further out (bit still doable):

Controling Flight (GCRY3E)

Biggels will like it here (GC1BTA0). I liked the area, not specificaly the cache.

Babs fontein Sinkhole (GC1FDZH)

Another one (of mine) is Edenvale NAC (GC1K054) Can solve the puzzle before you come up. You will definately know when have the right answer.

Eagle's Nest in Linden (some nice goodies inside) - very short multi - 800m walk on a pavement.

Inside the zoo there are 2 or 3 - in Saxonwold - but require an access fee.

Birds of a Feather - a little futher away - a multi - but also a very short walk in a bird sanctury.

Billy Goats Gruff

All worthwhile off the top of my head.

Eagle's Nest in Linden (some nice goodies inside) - very short multi - 800m walk on a pavement.

Inside the zoo there are 2 or 3 - in Saxonwold - but require an access fee.

Birds of a Feather - a little futher away - a multi - but also a very short walk in a bird sanctury.

Billy Goats Gruff

All worthwhile off the top of my head.

Brilliant! Thanks for that! May try the zoo ones...can make it a double outing.

:)

If you come as far as the Billy Goat's Gruff then try one of mine which is just off Jan Smuts Avenue in Dunkeld en route: Beaufort Lions ( GC1MEQF ). Based on the logs, other cachers have enjoyed it.

Looks like a great cache! Will see what time allows. Might have to search for caches with swag though as the main aim is bonding with the niece. Long, long ago I used to live nearby...would love to see the location!

:blink:

If you come as far as the Billy Goat's Gruff then try one of mine which is just off Jan Smuts Avenue in Dunkeld en route: Beaufort Lions ( GC1MEQF ). Based on the logs, other cachers have enjoyed it.

Looks like a great cache! Will see what time allows. Might have to search for caches with swag though as the main aim is bonding with the niece. Long, long ago I used to live nearby...would love to see the location!

:blink:

Hi CapeDoc

If it is swag you are after, plan your route from the airport to Saxonwold correctly and come off the main route through Sylvia Pass and right there is another great cache which I co-planted.

Ripple View (GC1KA5J) generally has good swag and some travellers too.

Enjoy your trip to Gauteng!

BruceTP

Billy Goats Gruff

I can recommend Birds of a feather, and Billy Goats Gruff.

Billy goats grufff was realy cool, since I did not know what the name was about, util Ding bat updated me on the story.

Billy Goats Gruff

I can recommend Birds of a feather, and Billy Goats Gruff.

Billy goats grufff was realy cool, since I did not know what the name was about, util Ding bat updated me on the story.

Had a look at it and seems like a cool one to do with "kids"!

(They will know the story too!)

:antenna:

So, I did my little bit of caching around the conference. Thanks to all who gave advice. In the end only really managed to to caches near the Airport due to time constraints.

The rains in JHB must have been hectic as quite a few of the cache containers were damp.

Really enjoyed Hunter's treasure (despite the blackjacks), Northern lights (despite some frustration) and Cryptology (what a superb cache container!).

Thanks Anton for the cache, advice, and help!

Thanks all who offered advice!

:blink::blink::huh::blink:

So, I did my little bit of caching around the conference. Thanks to all who gave advice. In the end only really managed to to caches near the Airport due to time constraints.

The rains in JHB must have been hectic as quite a few of the cache containers were damp.

Really enjoyed Hunter's treasure (despite the blackjacks), Northern lights (despite some frustration) and Cryptology (what a superb cache container!).

Thanks Anton for the cache, advice, and help!

Thanks all who offered advice!

:blink::blink::huh::blink:

Glad you enjoyed Gauteng. For all it's percieved problems, Joburg has some very nice caches. ....(and cechers!)