GSAK?

What is GSAK? It's been written about all over this forum but, I have no idea what it is. Can someone please just give me a basic description?

Geocaching Swiss Army Knife

A program with which you can organize, filter, and manage your geocache lists. Based primarily on receiving GPX files from various sources, you can create and manage a much larger database of geocaches than what your GPS can handle at once. Using powerful filtering and a macro language the sky is limit for advanced user while for basic users the program is straight forward with only a small learning curve.

You can combine GPS from various sources like Groundspeak sites, other geocaching sites, convert and store benchmark locations, or even create your own geocaches within the program to share with others directly.

Combined with a cable to your GPS unit the powerful filtering feature allow you to target specific caches and upload them to your GPS directly.

GSAK facilitates going paperless as it works with PDAs by exporting cache pages in HTML or to PDA specific programs like CacheMate.

With the powerful macro language you can reassign waypoint names, count the average number of words in logs, study various stats, and well, just about anything you can thing of.

For me, GSAK is a more central part of geocaching than any one geocaching site.

Edited by CoyoteRed

If you want to load a lot of waypoints on your gps, it is a must have.

I just started using GSAK a few days ago. Yesterday I used it load every cache from Kuwait and Iraq (just over 300 IIRC)into my GPS. Took all of about 4 seconds to load. Now if I could just figure out the sorting strings to make it load just like I used to do by hand.

If you want to load a lot of waypoints on your gps, it is a must have.

I just started using GSAK a few days ago. Yesterday I used it load every cache from Kuwait and Iraq (just over 300 IIRC)into my GPS. Took all of about 4 seconds to load. Now if I could just figure out the sorting strings to make it load just like I used to do by hand.

Ask on the GSAK forums, someone will have ideas for you there.