"EasyGPS"

Saw the free, "EasyGPS" software online and was hoping to hear from other members about it... Do you suggest using this one, or is there a better one available?

Thanks! :rolleyes:

EasyGPS is a great to start, but if you're serious about GPS'anything' you are going to want ExperGPS or the version specifically for Geocaching, GeoBuddy (http://www.geobuddy.com/).

I've been using ExperGPS for A LONG time and have been using it for work and GeoCaching. LOV'E"N it!

This version of Expert GPS specifically for GeoCaching is called GeoBuddy, I haven't used GeoBuddy (I'm very happy with the ExpertGPS Geocaching experience)... but you should definitely check it out. AS with most TopoGrafix software, you can try before you buy (same with Swiss Knife).

The ONLY negative I have (and its the same for GSK, ExpertGPS, and most likely GeoBuddy) is map and name support outside of the states (especially with coverage in Asia). For the new Colorado users out there, use with ExpertGPS+ has been fantastic!

I hope some of that helps... take care and safe GCing out there! - Sav

Saw the free, "EasyGPS" software online and was hoping to hear from other members about it... Do you suggest using this one, or is there a better one available?

Thanks! B)

I tried Easy GPS and I never got a map to display and all of my caches were unreadable, they were all bunched together and I had no idea what I was clicking on or where they were since there was no map displayed. I haven't found any easy to use cache software. The other software mentioned in this thread is to hard to figure out so it's useless in my opion. I set up an Excell spredsheet for my database and that's a pain in the --- to keep updated. I use a Windows Mobile Smartphone I wish someone that knew how to write software would make something for that O.S.. I only know of one software app. that will work on that O.S. but the guy who sells it sounds like he's a jerk from what I've read on his web site and I won't buy from him. I don't remember what the site or the software app. was now.

I tried Easy GPS and I never got a map to display and all of my caches were unreadable, they were all bunched together and I had no idea what I was clicking on or where they were since there was no map displayed.

Easy GPS doesn't have a map. But, you can unbunch your caches by changing the scale.

For those who have mapping Garmins, I think MapSource, which comes with the unit, is a decent option for managing waypoints. I understand the benefit of GSAK for those who want to take the time to learn and who need the capability of sorting many waypoints.

It's not quite as easy to use, but USAPhotoMaps is a piece of shareware (jdmcox.com) that is very useful for displaying waypoints on satellite images and topomaps (downloaded from Terraserver). You can't transfer the images to your gps, but you can move waypoints/tracks/routes back and forth.

I tried Easy GPS and I never got a map to display and all of my caches were unreadable, they were all bunched together and I had no idea what I was clicking on or where they were since there was no map displayed.

Easy GPS doesn't have a map. But, you can unbunch your caches by changing the scale.

For those who have mapping Garmins, I think MapSource, which comes with the unit, is a decent option for managing waypoints. I understand the benefit of GSAK for those who want to take the time to learn and who need the capability of sorting many waypoints.

It's not quite as easy to use, but USAPhotoMaps is a piece of shareware (jdmcox.com) that is very useful for displaying waypoints on satellite images and topomaps (downloaded from Terraserver). You can't transfer the images to your gps, but you can move waypoints/tracks/routes back and forth.

Thanks, I thought that EasyGPS was supposed to have a map background because of a link that said something about a map background in the software I saw somewhere when I was clicking on things. I'll have to download it again and try to find a way to change the scale. As far as the GSAK, I used that software for almost a year trying to "Learn" how to use it, it was so confusing I decided it wasn't worth learning how to use it. It made absoultly no sense to me and I'm very computer literate. I definatly need software like GSAK. Maybe I need to download it again. And thanks for the jdmcox link I'll check that out.

Thanks, I thought that EasyGPS was supposed to have a map background because of a link that said something about a map background in the software I saw somewhere when I was clicking on things.

EasyGPS is part of the waypoint management system in ExpertGPS. You have to purchase ExpertGPS to be able to use the maps (although I think you can use it free for a trial period). With EasyGPS, the waypoints are geo-referenced on a blank screen. You can change the scale with either the zoom feature or by clicking on the "map" and using the wheel on your mouse. Before you zoom in, you might want to set one waypoint as active, or you might zoom to a blank map. You can use EasyGPS to import waypoints for caches from the web, to build files with multiple caches and to transfer waypoints, tracks and routes back/forth with your GPS. If you have a mapping Garmin, it came with MapSource. And you can do the same thing in MapSource. If you want to add a comment to the waypoint, MapSource has a larger comment field. That difference is important if you want to transfer a set of waypoints to your gpsr and a POI set.

Thanks, I thought that EasyGPS was supposed to have a map background because of a link that said something about a map background in the software I saw somewhere when I was clicking on things. I'll have to download it again and try to find a way to change the scale. As far as the GSAK, I used that software for almost a year trying to "Learn" how to use it, it was so confusing I decided it wasn't worth learning how to use it. It made absoultly no sense to me and I'm very computer literate. I definatly need software like GSAK. Maybe I need to download it again. And thanks for the jdmcox link I'll check that out.

I downloaded Easy GPS and can't find anywhere to change the scale??? All of the waypoints/caches are bunched up. I also downloded GSAK again. Thanks for your help, I'll keep trying to figure it out.

I downloaded Easy GPS and can't find anywhere to change the scale??? All of the waypoints/caches are bunched up. I also downloded GSAK again. Thanks for your help, I'll keep trying to figure it out.

The zoom button (the magnifying glass with the "+" sign, upper left, under the "save" icon. Click on one of the waypoints to make the button active.

The zoom button (the magnifying glass with the "+" sign, upper left, under the "save" icon. Click on one of the waypoints to make the button active.

Thanks I'll try that, I was playing with the GSAK software a minute ago, This version is NOT what I remember it to be. I figured out how to get all of my .gpx files that I have on my computer into the database and I also didn't know about the GSAK 101 .doc file so I downloaded that and saved it. I think I'm going to change my mind about the GSAK software and will buy the registration number later as I get to know the software. The only problem I had so far is that I can't change the port number and my Garmin Legend C won't connect to the software. I'm going to buy a Garmin GPSMAP 60 CSX in the next couple of weeks so I hope that GPS will connect. Easy GPS will connect with the Legend C at least it did last week when I had the software and then uninstalled it.

Also, if you have a scroll wheel on your mouse you can use it to "zoom" in and out and the cache area.

I have EasyGPS and absolutely love it!!!