315 caches in 24 hours

I'm not dissing the record, and I don't think anybody else is either - I'm sure if you're into numbers it's a remarkable achievment - but it was a team achievment, not an individual achievment, which seems to be what they are trying to turn it into by logging each cache online individually as well......

As a comparison, David Beckham has never won the FA Cup - but Manchester United have when he's been playing with them........ and I'm sure you could come up with some US based equivalents too.

I do not put a lot into record runs for geocaches, with the increased number of geocachers and the increased number of cachers, it does not really mean anything when a new record is set. With the increase in cache density every year it become easier to run numbers up in any given amount of time

It would be like taking a football field becoming shorter each year, as the field becomes shorter would become easier score a touchdown each year.

A few years ago, it might have taken almost a year and a lot of hiking to find 100 caches, now it can be done in two days if a cacher takes the time to find cache clusters. And all the caches could be drive ups.

I do not put a lot into record runs for geocaches, with the increased number of geocachers and the increased number of cachers, it does not really mean anything when a new record is set. With the increase in cache density every year it become easier to run numbers up in any given amount of time

It would be like taking a football field becoming shorter each year, as the field becomes shorter would become easier score a touchdown each year.

A few years ago, it might have taken almost a year and a lot of hiking to find 100 caches, now it can be done in two days if a cacher takes the time to find cache clusters. And all the caches could be drive ups.

Since you are one of the more active cachers in the area in which they pulled this off, your input is pretty credible. I mean no offense when I say this, I am not sure I would cache if my area was like that. No way you could get 100 caches in Hawaii in 24 hours and I'm fairly proud of the local cachers for this fact.

'TheAlabamaRambler' date='May 25 2008, 08:14 AM' post='3487435']

However, we signed many of the caches by initialing the container with a Sherpie rather than opening the cache to get the logbook, and for 18 of the caches we split into two groups. Those two decisions were soundly criticized throughout the community and many in the community decided that the 294 caches that we did find, still a record, would not be recognized as such.

I sure wouldn't appreciate you doing that to my cache if you found it.

Nor would most of us. But, as TAR mentioned when he said "Those two decisions were soundly criticized throughout the community" , that topic has been widely covered in the past. This thread is about the OP's run which did not do that.

I felt that it was relevant in this discussion because it was the previous unofficial record, not some random act. It demonstrates that guidelines are needed because there are adverse effects of these efforts. Besides, I didn't get to say it the first time it got discussed and I feel better now. So.. there was some benefit derived in the universe by me saying it. :D

I'm not dissing the record, and I don't think anybody else is either - I'm sure if you're into numbers it's a remarkable achievment - but it was a team achievment, not an individual achievment, which seems to be what they are trying to turn it into by logging each cache online individually as well......

As a comparison, David Beckham has never won the FA Cup - but Manchester United have when he's been playing with them........ and I'm sure you could come up with some US based equivalents too.

The Roadrunner would not even be the least bit interesting without The Coyote for one.

Congrats on your achievement!

I wonder how many people made "personal record" cache runs during GW6? I know I did! We started out with a great "sit down" breakfast, didn't make any plans as to what caches we'd be attempting, stopped for snacks twice, and all threee of us got out and searched at 99% of the stops (hey, nobody's perfect)! We found around 70 and had an absolute blast!

It does kinda lead to "roadside cache" burnout though.

Good times... I'm sure all involved in your run have many fun memories.

DCC

Congratulations! :)

And by the way, i like the set of guidelines ya'll set up for yourselves. As others have said, there are no official rules or guidelines for record runs, but if there were, the ones you made for your run seem to be the most logical that i've seen so far... :D

Since you are one of the more active cachers in the area in which they pulled this off, your input is pretty credible. I mean no offense when I say this, I am not sure I would cache if my area was like that. No way you could get 100 caches in Hawaii in 24 hours and I'm fairly proud of the local cachers for this fact.

In my post I did mention now it can be done in two days if a cacher takes the time to find cache clusters. There are areas in which there are not many cache or the caches in the area are harder to get to .

I was in Ha. when I first started geocaching, I think the week we were there we only got one or two caches, but it was my girl freinds first trip to Hawaii (I think is was my 10th trip there) So we did not have a lot of time for caching. We had to good to all hot cool spots like Mutsumoto shave ice :D

I need to get back to Ha. it has been about 4 or 5 years.

In my post I did mention now it can be done in two days if a cacher takes the time to find cache clusters. There are areas in which there are not many cache or the caches in the area are harder to get to .

I was in Ha. when I first started geocaching, I think the week we were there we only got one or two caches, but it was my girl freinds first trip to Hawaii (I think is was my 10th trip there) So we did not have a lot of time for caching. We had to good to all hot cool spots like Mutsumoto shave ice :D

Give us a holler if you are on Oahu... we've got plenty of aloha and great caches for ya.

No way you could get 100 caches in Hawaii in 24 hours and I'm fairly proud of the local cachers for this fact.

Amen brother - I think it would really kill the Hawaii caching experience if you had what we have over here.

This is why I LOVE caching in Hawaii.

Give us a holler if you are on Oahu... we've got plenty of aloha and great caches for ya.

Count on it (self invite) :D We alomst came to Oahu this year but airfare didn'tallow it. Off to The Bahamas!

My buddy was at GW6, I had to miss it due to work, but he was talking to the new record holders as they were telling their story and he said that they said that they went to the caches before hand and looked for them, but didn't sign the logs, then on the special day went to all of them and signed the logs, now if that's the rules to play by, I personally believe I could do it myself here in Utah, if the record is to sign 315 logs in 24 hours, even though you "found" the cache previously, that sounds easy!

I wonder how many cachers would want to go to a geowoodstock in Hawaii

My buddy was at GW6, I had to miss it due to work, but he was talking to the new record holders as they were telling their story and he said that they said that they went to the caches before hand and looked for them, but didn't sign the logs, then on the special day went to all of them and signed the logs, now if that's the rules to play by, I personally believe I could do it myself here in Utah, if the record is to sign 315 logs in 24 hours, even though you "found" the cache previously, that sounds easy!

That's not true. There must be some misunderstanding, and since English is not our native language it is quite possible. :D

We went near the cache-location to find the best route, parking place near the cache, access roads etc. but did NOT search for the caches. According to guideline #4.

4.The planned trip will be tested before the record run to locate parking areas, entrances to parks, places to shop for food and toilets. No caches will be located in advance.

Regards

Picht

(DK08)

I wonder how many cachers would want to go to a geowoodstock in Hawaii

That would be great...except for that 2500 miles of water in-between us and the next cacher! For the same reasons that we don't have very many major events of any kind, I am sure it would get shot down.

Boy, that person that scolded me earlier for being off topic is going to be really mad now. :)

I just wanted to say that I visited a cache that this team signed over the weekend. It was signed DT08 and they took up multiple lines to do this which both my friend and I felt it was rather rude that they could not take the time to sign at least on one line rather than wasting several lines in the logbook.

I just wanted to say that I visited a cache that this team signed over the weekend. It was signed DT08 and they took up multiple lines to do this which both my friend and I felt it was rather rude that they could not take the time to sign at least on one line rather than wasting several lines in the logbook.

You noticing this and subsequently posting it in this forum is a great example of the level of scrutiny an effort like this comes under. Can you imagine, heaven forbid, if you didn't find the name on the log? The fact is that you don't have time to be polite in a record run and it is going to stress the search area in several ways.

Either you embrace the spirit of the effort and forgive it's side effects or you don't. There will always be people on both sides of this fence.

Edited by Team GeoBlast

Not to be a pessimist but I calculated it and in order to find 315 caches in 24 hours that would mean you would have to find a cache every 4.5714286 minutes. If you truly did do so though the I owe you a Congratulations.

Why didn't you bump the recent thread discussing the most recent record run, rather than bumping an old thread discussing a previous run? After all, my granny could find 315 caches in a day. Edited by sbell111

It truly amazes me how many people here are trying to pick this apart

And complaining about taking up four lines in a logbook? Let me know where your caches are and I'll take up five by myself.

Is this the petty thread?

Is this all out of jealousy?

I'm just amazed at this response.

Wecome to the US. THis is how we are here.

wow.

Well I say Congratulations Guys!!!!

You've done one heck of a job.

Ignore all the sourpusses. They are just jealous (or something).

It truly amazes me how many people here are trying to pick this apart

And complaining about taking up four lines in a logbook? Let me know where your caches are and I'll take up five by myself.

Is this the petty thread?

Is this all out of jealousy?

I'm just amazed at this response.

Wecome to the US. THis is how we are here.

wow.

Well I say Congratulations Guys!!!!

You've done one heck of a job.

Ignore all the sourpusses. They are just jealous (or something).

And how was the scenery? (after all... we cache for the views and the hike.)