Hardest Cache in the United States

What is the name of the hardest cache in the United States to find?

You may wish to be more explicit in your question, in terms of exactly what you mean by "hardest to find", as "hardest to find" could simply be a nano cache hidden in a boulder field, or an "evil" urban nanocache hide, or it could mean really extreme terrain, which involves its own difficulties. And when it comes to extreme terrain, even here, would you consider a cache that requires a 14 mile hike each way to be "hardest", or would you consider a cache placed atop a sheer vertical 80-foot tall stone pier in the middle of a river, which requires all sorts of special equipment and skills to access (or a good helicopter and a pilot with nerves of steel), such as my Psycho Urban Cache #13 - Impossible! Give Up Now!, to be harder?

I agree that there are many different kinds of "hard". I have had some that were personally hard for me to find that others find right off. Then there is one that I did that was as simple to find as anything but is nearly impossible to get to. It is technically in the US but it is 9500 miles from here. My picture next to the post explains it. It is called " No Further South From Here".

What is the name of the hardest cache in the United States to find?

you know there are so many caches out there that that is sorta a completly personal preferance that can only be aswered by you. Where every one has their own mind set and where certain caches might seem like a 1 to me might be a 5+ to you and vise versa.

At the risk of getting shot down in flames - and with no detriment meant to anybody at all..... the location of Psycho Urban #13 seems pretty specific ie spot on co-ords, and the cache isn't hidden at all (In plain sight or can be found in a few minutes of searching.). Wouldn't that make the cache a 1/5 rather than a 5/5?

At the risk of getting shot down in flames - and with no detriment meant to anybody at all..... the location of Psycho Urban #13 seems pretty specific ie spot on co-ords, and the cache isn't hidden at all (In plain sight or can be found in a few minutes of searching.). Wouldn't that make the cache a 1/5 rather than a 5/5?

Too funny! It will warp Vinny to admit it, but I suppose that yes, once you get to the top of the pylon it's a simple find! :blink:

Too funny! It will warp Vinny to admit it, but I suppose that yes, once you get to the top of the pylon it's a simple find! :lol:

Not really. I heard the "yellow box" is actually the most obvious of over 19 decoy caches he has up there. A few of the fake rocks already fell off in a recent storm, so the exact number is unknown. :blink:

Too funny! It will warp Vinny to admit it, but I suppose that yes, once you get to the top of the pylon it's a simple find! :)

Not really. I heard the "yellow box" is actually the most obvious of over 19 decoy caches he has up there. A few of the fake rocks already fell off in a recent storm, so the exact number is unknown. :ph34r:

Cache description says nothing of the decoy containers. Unless I was to tired when I read it. (putting on asbestos suit) I thought this cache was over rated, as I read it, a terrain 5 YES!!! difficulty 1. CO even tells you the container in the description in case you do use remote vehicle. A simple find, IMO equals a difficulty rating of 1.

enter the flames.

It really depends on whether you are speaking of difficulty or terrain. Terrain doesn't bother me, I like to hike 5 miles for a cache. To me the ones that are the hardest are where you can be looking right at it with a hint from the owner and a friend who has already found it pointing right at it, and you still can't find it. Now that's hard. I found one of these recently that was rated a 3.5 in difficulty, but probably should have been 4.5... or at least I like to think so.

Happy Caching!

Generally, I agree with that take on interpretting the Difficulty rating.

However, there has to be something to distinguish between Vinnie's caches and, for example, an easy find on an island, 200 feet from shore in an 8-feet deep pond. That would also be a 1/5.

I've never liked the use of 5-star Terrain to indicate special equipment. I'd rather see Special Equipment flagged separately.