High Quality 5/5 Caches

I've been on one heck of a search lately for any quality 5/5 caches for the state of Georgia and have come up almost empty handed. All but a few (I can count them on one hand) still exist. Its sad that I have to travel to North Carolina for a good 5/5 cache. Anybody know why they seem to be going the way of the dino's? Is it because people are lazy? Or is it because its just that hard to place them? Can anyone tell me of any 5/5's worth trying to find?

5/5's are fewer and further between than any of the others - why? It takes a special someone to hide a cache like that, and even more special people to go find it.

Look around you. Who are your fellow cachers? What qualities do they have that would, or would not allow them to place a cache that requires something as physically demanding as a 5* terrain. Rock climbing? Boating? Boating is an easier 5/5 to create and find... but you still have to have a boat (or be able to swim - not something everyone can do).

That said, hide some of your own. Hiding them is, I think, just as rewarding as finding them. Creative genius is just that and you have to go through just as many, or more, trials/tribs to attain greatness :grin:

If you don't want to hide them, drop it back a notch and look for some 4.5's.

Those can be fun too.

michelle

I've been on one heck of a search lately for any quality 5/5 caches for the state of Georgia and have come up almost empty handed. All but a few (I can count them on one hand) still exist. Its sad that I have to travel to North Carolina for a good 5/5 cache. Anybody know why they seem to be going the way of the dino's? Is it because people are lazy? Or is it because its just that hard to place them?. . .

Yes, I have noticed regional variance in prevalence of 5/5 caches, too. It seems that some areas, due to terrain (i.e., are there mountains, caves, rivers or swamps, or is it flat Great Plains terrain?) and geo-political factors (i.e., rural versus suburban versus urban) and also dependent upon the age of the urban/suburban infrastructure, seem to have far more 5/5 caches than others. I am sure that local cultural preferences, habits and customs come into play too; there seem to be some areas where cachers are far more inclined to place 5/5 caches than others.

Since you asked, I doubt that the issue has much to do with laziness, and more to do with the variables that I have outlined above.

. . .Can anyone tell me of any 5/5's worth trying to find?

Well, since you have chosen to start your thread and ask this question in the international section of the Groundspeak forums rather than in the local regional section, I will assume that you are not asking about recommendations for 5/5 caches in GA and NC, but rather, over a much wider region. And yes, I may be able to help you in that regard. I maintain a public bookmark list called Extreme and Adventure Caches which lists extreme caches from all over the world, but particularly North America, that have struck me as truly extreme. And, you may also want to check out our Psycho Urban Cache series, particularly the higher-numbered caches beyond #1 and #2; all of these caches (including even #2, which, while more extreme than #1, was intentionally designed to be "not yet too extreme, but as preparation for the later caches in the series) tend to receive rave find log entries, many of them very lengthy. In fact, Psycho Urban Caches #13 and #14 are very much "out there" in terms of extreme, and, if you find enough of our Psycho Urban Caches to meet the prerequisite qualifying requirements, you may even wish to qualify for going after our totally sick Psycho Urban Cache #9 - Hot Glowing Tribulations.

And, of our still-existing Psycho Backcountry Caches, our Psycho Backcountry Cache #3 - Bitch Creek Crossing, is quite extreme -- it has had only two finders in its history since it was hidden in September 2005.

Speaking of public bookmark lists of extreme caches, if you were to visit the cache listing pages for many of our Psycho Urban Caches, particularly #3, #7, #9, #10, #13 and #14, and if you were to look at the Bookmark Lists section on those pages, you will find a number of other public bookmark lists that tend to specialize in listing extreme caches, although some of those lists are rather Euro-centric and even very Germany-centric.

Have fun!

All very good points guys. I think I might have to either go out and place some, or go out and hunt them out of state or even both. Certainly both are valid options. I do really appreciate all the work that everyone puts into the 4/4 and harder caches though. I know its not easy to place those.

I've been on one heck of a search lately for any quality 5/5 caches for the state of Georgia and have come up almost empty handed. All but a few (I can count them on one hand) still exist. Its sad that I have to travel to North Carolina for a good 5/5 cache. Anybody know why they seem to be going the way of the dino's? Is it because people are lazy? Or is it because its just that hard to place them? Can anyone tell me of any 5/5's worth trying to find?

Consider yourself lucky to have "but a few". In Manitoba, I don't think a single 5/5 exists :grin:

All very good points guys. I think I might have to either go out and place some, or go out and hunt them out of state or even both. Certainly both are valid options. I do really appreciate all the work that everyone puts into the 4/4 and harder caches though. I know its not easy to place those.

I was about to make that very point. There are lots of conservatively rated 4-ish caches that involve considerably more effort than nominal 5/5s. I just placed "Namesake", rated 2/4, that I guarantee will challenge finders more than most 5/5s. I placed it via the easy route, a 17.1-mile dayhike from a 9000' summit, along a fire-ravaged ridge, through a trailless chaos of boulders, to finally descend an old fire road to a nearby town, at 4000'.

The one true 5/5 I've done has been tagged by many cachers who would not be able to complete Namesake (so-called because it's located on a peak called Mule Ears :grin: ).

There are tons of 5/5's in my area; at least a dozen within 25 miles (beeline) of downtown Chattanooga.

Terrain:

- Eight require a non-motorized boat (rental canoes are available) and you must paddle down a flat-water river. All are traditionals hidden by the same person on the same river.

- Three require an ATV or a substantial 4x4 truck, or a decent hike (about 8 miles total round trip while climbing a small mountain for all three). All are traditionals hidden by the same person on the same trail system.

- One (Blackbeard's Loot) requires any type of boat (powered preferred, because it's on an island in the middle of a large lake). Hidden by a retired cacher known for his difficult caches (this is his only 5/5).

Difficulty:

I haven't hunted any, but the logs for the Eight and the Three caches don't seem to indicate anywhere near 5-star difficulty. I plan on hunting for six of the Eight this weekend on a canoe trip with my 3-year-old.

The One is a multi/mystery/unknown requireing solving a puzzle and following a map hidden in another cache. I haven't searched for this one either (yet), but I hope to some day. I've done some of his caches rated 4.5, so if he thinks this one is a 5, then it's a 5.

Stupid question but does a boat automatically make a cache a 5*?

If a cache needs special equipment or special expertise to get to it, it is rated a 5 for terrain. Likewise, if finding the cache (or cache coordinates) requires a serious mental challenge, the difficulty rating is a 5.

Difficulty rating: 5

* Easy. In plain sight or can be found in a few minutes of searching.

** Average. The average cache hunter would be able to find this in less than 30 minutes of hunting.

*** Challenging. An experienced cache hunter will find this challenging, and it could take up a good portion of an afternoon.

**** Difficult. A real challenge for the experienced cache hunter - may require special skills or knowledge, or in-depth preparation to find. May require multiple days / trips to complete.

***** Extreme. A serious mental or physical challenge. Requires specialized knowledge, skills, or equipment to find cache.

Terrain rating: 5

* Handicapped accessible. (Terrain is likely to be paved, is relatively flat, and less than a 1/2 mile hike is required.)

** Suitable for small children. (Terrain is generally along marked trails, there are no steep elevation changes or heavy overgrowth. Less than a 2 mile hike required.)

*** Not suitable for small children. (The average adult or older child should be OK depending on physical condition. Terrain is likely off-trail. May have one or more of the following: some overgrowth, some steep elevation changes, or more than a 2 mile hike.)

**** Experienced outdoor enthusiasts only. (Terrain is probably off-trail. Will have one or more of the following: very heavy overgrowth, very steep elevation (requiring use of hands), or more than a 10 mile hike. May require an overnight stay.)

***** Requires specialized equipment and knowledge or experience, (boat, 4WD, rock climbing, SCUBA, etc) or is otherwise extremely difficult

If you are looking for a challenge look to the 4 terrain ratings - usually indicating extreme terrain.

The 5 terrain rating can be extreme, but most 5 terrains that I have done simply required some item of 'special equipment' not normally found in a cache bag, be it rappelling gear or a blow-up air mattress to paddle out to an island.

If you look at my profile you'll see I have several 5 terrain finds, but almost no 4s. That's because 4 terrain are too hard for me to get to but I can do most 5s!

Does anyone know of any 5/5 rated caches in Western Washinton? I would love to try one. I would also be interested in one that has a difficulty rating of 5 even if the terrain rating is less.

Happy Caching

Put your bicycle on the back of your car and come down I-5 and take a shot at finding "Rock House Cave".

Chubby Forest Monkey (cache owner) lent me her husband's bike to go the first 7 miles before the start of the bushwack up the ridge to the cave.

I did five 5/5 caches in Oregon before I hid my own last year. Less than two weeks ago (May 14) I snowshoed up to the top of Hogg Rock to find "Baked Ham" (4.5/4.5) for a sunset picture for the contest I was participating in.

If a cache needs special equipment or special expertise to get to it, it is rated a 5 for terrain. Likewise, if finding the cache (or cache coordinates) requires a serious mental challenge, the difficulty rating is a 5.

* Easy. In plain sight or can be found in a few minutes of searching.

** Average. The average cache hunter would be able to find this in less than 30 minutes of hunting.

*** Challenging. An experienced cache hunter will find this challenging, and it could take up a good portion of an afternoon.

**** Difficult. A real challenge for the experienced cache hunter - may require special skills or knowledge, or in-depth preparation to find. May require multiple days / trips to complete.

***** Extreme. A serious mental or physical challenge. Requires specialized knowledge, skills, or equipment to find cache.

* Handicapped accessible. (Terrain is likely to be paved, is relatively flat, and less than a 1/2 mile hike is required.)

** Suitable for small children. (Terrain is generally along marked trails, there are no steep elevation changes or heavy overgrowth. Less than a 2 mile hike required.)

*** Not suitable for small children. (The average adult or older child should be OK depending on physical condition. Terrain is likely off-trail. May have one or more of the following: some overgrowth, some steep elevation changes, or more than a 2 mile hike.)

**** Experienced outdoor enthusiasts only. (Terrain is probably off-trail. Will have one or more of the following: very heavy overgrowth, very steep elevation (requiring use of hands), or more than a 10 mile hike. May require an overnight stay.)

***** Requires specialized equipment and knowledge or experience, (boat, 4WD, rock climbing, SCUBA, etc) or is otherwise extremely difficult

Thank you for the help and the info :ph34r: So my next question is about one or possibly two that I plan to place this summer. If I place a cache at nearly 10,000 ft. elevation on the edge of the Idaho wilderness area where there are not any nearby roads, they look to be level 5 also according to the rules. No climbing gear will be required but some specialized knowledge is going to help. Does this sound right?

Edited by Krieg's Bones

Thank you for the help and the info :ph34r: So my next question is about one or possibly two that I plan to place this summer. If I place a cache at nearly 10,000 ft. elevation on the edge of the Idaho wilderness area where there are not any nearby roads, they look to be level 5 also according to the rules. No climbing gear will be required but some specialized knowledge is going to help. Does this sound right?

For either difficulty or terrain I interpret the clauses "A serious mental or physical challenge" and "is otherwise extremely difficult" to mean that no, you don't have to have specialized equipment for the cache to qualify as a 5/5

If you ask me, yes, sounds like a 5/5 to me--but I'm pushing 50 and out of shape (unless you count "round" as a shape). :)

Seriously, I used to be young. I climbed Mt Rose in my twenties and spent a lot of time out in the Nevada desert and the Florida swamps too. The kind of place you are talking about probably rates a 5 for terrain unless you are talking so far on the edge of the wilderness area that you can park you car on a road and walk 15 minutes to the cache.

I know some of the tough guys will say those are mere 4.5/4.5s, but I wouldn't have done a cache at 10,000 ft on the edge of any wilderness area unless I had some specialized knowledge.

As for the difficulty of the hide, well, that's up to you. There are people who think that just being hard to get to makes the difficulty for the cache worth a higher rating--others say it also has to be tough to figure out where the cache is (or at least waht the cords are for the cache before you go). A lot of people say they prefer a cache be relatively easy to find once they get to the actual location, and would go after a 2.5/5 faster than they would look for a 5/5. Just something to think about.

Thank you for the help and the info :) So my next question is about one or possibly two that I plan to place this summer. If I place a cache at nearly 10,000 ft. elevation on the edge of the Idaho wilderness area where there are not any nearby roads, they look to be level 5 also according to the rules. No climbing gear will be required but some specialized knowledge is going to help. Does this sound right?

For either difficulty or terrain I interpret the clauses "A serious mental or physical challenge" and "is otherwise extremely difficult" to mean that no, you don't have to have specialized equipment for the cache to qualify as a 5/5

Very cool. Thank you for the info :ph34r:

If you ask me, yes, sounds like a 5/5 to me--but I'm pushing 50 and out of shape (unless you count "round" as a shape). :D

Seriously, I used to be young. I climbed Mt Rose in my twenties and spent a lot of time out in the Nevada desert and the Florida swamps too. The kind of place you are talking about probably rates a 5 for terrain unless you are talking so far on the edge of the wilderness area that you can park you car on a road and walk 15 minutes to the cache.

I know some of the tough guys will say those are mere 4.5/4.5s, but I wouldn't have done a cache at 10,000 ft on the edge of any wilderness area unless I had some specialized knowledge.

As for the difficulty of the hide, well, that's up to you. There are people who think that just being hard to get to makes the difficulty for the cache worth a higher rating--others say it also has to be tough to figure out where the cache is (or at least waht the cords are for the cache before you go). A lot of people say they prefer a cache be relatively easy to find once they get to the actual location, and would go after a 2.5/5 faster than they would look for a 5/5. Just something to think about.

Thanks again for the excelent info. The location I want to place the caches will be a 5 for sure, after the input I have recieved from everyone and thinking about it. The 4x4 requirement keeps catching me by suprise as I have had a 4x4 for so long that it is just sort of second nature. You actually have to travel 16.5 miles on what can best be described as a goat trail just to get to the last camp site before entering the wilderness area where you can start hiking from. The goat trail never opens before July due to snow and requires a good 4x4 to travel, or a desire to walk a LONG ways :) Then it is around 2000 ft. vertically, on foot over a smaller goat trail, up and over the pass to the general location. I think I will go with the easy to find, once you get to the location idea for sure.

Edited by Krieg's Bones

If you ask me, yes, sounds like a 5/5 to me--but I'm pushing 50 and out of shape (unless you count "round" as a shape). :unsure:

Thanks again for the excelent info. The location I want to place the caches will be a 5 for sure, after the input I have recieved from everyone and thinking about it. The 4x4 requirement keeps catching me by suprise as I have had a 4x4 for so long that it is just sort of second nature. You actually have to travel 16.5 miles on what can best be described as a goat trail just to get to the last camp site before entering the wilderness area where you can start hiking from. The goat trail never opens before July due to snow and requires a good 4x4 to travel, or a desire to walk a LONG ways :) Then it is around 2000 ft. vertically, on foot over a smaller goat trail, up and over the pass to the general location. I think I will go with the easy to find, once you get to the location idea for sure.

Yeah, not the place for an evil micro. :D

If you ask me, yes, sounds like a 5/5 to me--but I'm pushing 50 and out of shape (unless you count "round" as a shape). :blink:

Thanks again for the excelent info. The location I want to place the caches will be a 5 for sure, after the input I have recieved from everyone and thinking about it. The 4x4 requirement keeps catching me by suprise as I have had a 4x4 for so long that it is just sort of second nature. You actually have to travel 16.5 miles on what can best be described as a goat trail just to get to the last camp site before entering the wilderness area where you can start hiking from. The goat trail never opens before July due to snow and requires a good 4x4 to travel, or a desire to walk a LONG ways :unsure: Then it is around 2000 ft. vertically, on foot over a smaller goat trail, up and over the pass to the general location. I think I will go with the easy to find, once you get to the location idea for sure.

Yeah, not the place for an evil micro. :)

I was sort of thinking a thimble sized nano in a drilled out rock in the middle of a rock slide area.......but maybe I am getting carried away :blink::D

Edited by Krieg's Bones

Does anyone know of any 5/5 rated caches in Western Washinton? I would love to try one. I would also be interested in one that has a difficulty rating of 5 even if the terrain rating is less.

Happy Caching

You can own this one if you want it. You just have to get there. Good luck.

I didn't realize that you archived it. I'm sorry to hear about that. :anibad:

I'm still a pretty new cacher but have alredy noticed the lack of higher rated caches in my area. Out of 1830 caches within 100 miles of Kansas City there is exactly one 5/5. I have not personally done this one but after reading the description I feel pretty confidant in saying that it is probably a 3/3 at best. The overwhelming majorety are in the 1's and 2's with an occasional 3 and the rare 4. Recognizing the need for quality over quantity, I have dedicatied myself to placing only quality hides that are either interesting or challenging or both. The last thing I want is for someone to find one of my caches and then ask themselves "what was the point?". In that spirit I have placed my 2nd hide, Cannonball Run 4/5 which was just published. I hope searchers will enjoy finding it.

I would say that the Nemesis (GCRZBD) in California is a true 5/5 cache/hide. I am one of the finders. It took miles of steep mountain hiking, puzzles, tree climbing and cliff hanging over several trips to nab this one. If anybody has the time and enjoys this type of hide I'd say, "Go for it."

I'll second the motion! This cache is a but kicker!!! The owner of this cache is well known in our area for his high difficulty caches.