New to Geocaching - thanks to xkcd

CrazyRussian540

Hi,

I just discovered geocaching thanks to yesterday's XKCD comic, and I wanted to give it a try. Will it work with an iPhone, or do I have to get a GPS capable of connecting to a satellite. I have Google Maps on my iPhone (and I can approximate my location by cell-tower triangulation and local streets), and was wondering if that would be good enough (at least for a newbie). I also realized (as of today) that I can type in coordinated into my iPhone to get the locations.

Well considering I started of with no gpsr I'm sure it can't help.

First question would be does it have an arrow pointing to the coordinates you have loaded, if so then go for it.

Find a few then upgrade if you want or stick with what you've got.

Welcome on board I really love taking the family geocaching, you'll find places you never knew about.

Happy hunting.

I just discovered geocaching thanks to yesterday's XKCD comic, and I wanted to give it a try. Will it work with an iPhone, or do I have to get a GPS capable of connecting to a satellite. I have Google Maps on my iPhone (and I can approximate my location by cell-tower triangulation and local streets), and was wondering if that would be good enough (at least for a newbie). I also realized (as of today) that I can type in coordinated into my iPhone to get the locations.

Hey there, and welcome to the madness! ;-)

Ironically, I had just seen the same comic, and was looking to see what sort of attention it was getting back here. Glad to hear it may be "converting" folks, too!

In any case, I've actually started friends in to the hobby using nothing more than Google Maps in a well-defined area... it's a good way to see if you enjoy caching before you go out and spend money on a dedicated GPS unit. You should just make sure, though, that your first few caches are rated with a low difficulty (1.0 to 1.5) -- if you're going after a 3.0 or higher for your first cache, you might get a bit frustrated, for example. And, the larger the container, the easier they tend to be to locate, as it tends to help limit the searching areas (since there tend to be fewer places to hide something the size of a book, for example, than places you might hide something more like the size of someone's ring).

You might also check any friends that have a handheld GPS you might be able to borrow for a day or three... or, heck, bring them along and let them navigate!

Hi,

If you want to become a serious 'cacher, you'll need a GPS. But if you're just starting out, I've used my iPhone's Google Maps for a few local caches. It works best if you know where you are specifically. =D

There are cachers who go out with nothing more than a map and a compass...and sometimes even less than that when they feel confident. These guys have hundreds and thousands of finds over the years, so I'm sure if you're using GMaps with your triangulation from the cell towers, then you'll find one eventually if you try at it.

Someone else mentioned to try larger containers and 1-2 difficulty caches first to get the feel for it. That's the right idea. Good luck!

Thanks guys!

I'm probably going to go out and try to find my first cache tomorrow. I found a nice easy one in my town about 5 minutes from where I live so I'll see if I have luck with that.

Well, appears as though your profile now has one cache find listed. Congrats!

(and from the sounds of it, you intend to stay with it and find more! help that travel bug along on its mission!)

Once again, welcome to the madness!

Thanks guys!

I'm probably going to go out and try to find my first cache tomorrow. I found a nice easy one in my town about 5 minutes from where I live so I'll see if I have luck with that.

(and from the sounds of it, you intend to stay with it and find more! help that travel bug along on its mission!)

Once again, welcome to the madness!

So I underestimated this, and I can't find a single other geocache. It was one thing when I was told to ind a stone wall at the coordinates and follow it 18 paces, but its another when the coordinates lead me directly to the cache in the middle of the woods. I'm gonna return the TB back to where I found her, and gonna wait until I find a nice affordable GPS unit on eBay.

So I underestimated this, and I can't find a single other geocache. It was one thing when I was told to ind a stone wall at the coordinates and follow it 18 paces, but its another when the coordinates lead me directly to the cache in the middle of the woods. I'm gonna return the TB back to where I found her, and gonna wait until I find a nice affordable GPS unit on eBay.

Yeah, it can be pretty tough without a GPS... hence why you were pointed at a pretty specific "type" of cache... large container, 1.0 or 1.5 difficulty max, in an area you think you might know somewhat well.

Of course, if you want opinions on GPS purchase, there are those forums here, too... mine still sells for about $US300, but you can surely get one cheaper than that, I'm sure (some for less than $US100, for sure).

Anyway, hopefully soon you'll be up and running!