Help me use the Garmin POI Loader, Please...

jepp2

I would like to be able to create my custom POI's and load them to my Garmin GPSr's. But it just hasn't clicked with me yet. I normally am not this computer illiterate. It there a thread somewhere, or can you point out what I seem to be missing? My interest is in commercial locations that don't exist in my software.

The biggest key to using Garmin's POI loader is having the name of the .gpx file being the same as the .bmp file you want to be associated with those POIs on your GPS. So . . . if you have an icon for a coffee cup and also have all the Starbuck's locations, you could send the POIs as Starbucks.gpx and Starbucks.bmp.

I send several different POIs to my GPS at one time. Each of these has an icon associated with them:

Unfound.gpx

Unfound.bmp

Found.gpx

Found.bmp

FoundArchived.gpx

FoundArchived.bmp

Benchmarks.gpx

Benchmarks.bmp

These are in an "Update" folder and are all sent at one time. On the GPS, they are in separate "Databases."

This thread might be somewhat helpful.

I would like to be able to create my custom POI's and load them to my Garmin GPSr's. But it just hasn't clicked with me yet. I normally am not this computer illiterate. It there a thread somewhere, or can you point out what I seem to be missing? My interest is in commercial locations that don't exist in my software.

Another tip. Run the POI loader in the manual mode so that you can pick the alert distance for each category of POI. I just put all of my csv, MP3, and bmp files in one folder making sure each file has the same name for each set, then point the POI loader to that folder.

If you are going to create your own POI's the csv file has to be set up with a certain format with no more then four fields: longitude,latitude,info,info