DNF's

If you arrive at the cache spot and you cannot search due to nearby muggler activity in the vicinity then surely you also cannot log a DNF. :) Do you agree or not? :)

I would for two reasons:

1. Stating the situation might assist other cachers in knowing what to expect.

2. I have a good story to tell.

If it was a playground cache on a Saturday morning and I happened to click Goto on my gps, pulled up and then drove away? Nah, nothing worth posting about.

Edited by BlueDeuce

im new with gc'ing so my mind isnt properly geared up to searching for hidden items yet. this means that of the very few caches ive set out to search for most of them i have failed to find.

i admit i havent logged anything on these caches as i was a little embarressed to say that i couldnt find them. i just dont feel right only posting that i couldnt find the cache.

i dont know if you guys are expecting every search to be logged even if its a did not find?

im new with gc'ing so my mind isnt properly geared up to searching for hidden items yet. this means that of the very few caches ive set out to search for most of them i have failed to find.

i admit i havent logged anything on these caches as i was a little embarressed to say that i couldnt find them. i just dont feel right only posting that i couldnt find the cache.

Please don't feel embarrassed at a failed find, we all do it - it's just not everyone admits to it! ;)

i dont know if you guys are expecting every search to be logged even if its a did not find?

Again, there are no expectations - we all play this game the way we want. I suppose that is why the original posted question is asking the opinion of others as to how they do it in this case.

Personally I'd either write a note or log a DNF depending on which button I pressed when I logged it - to me it matters not which as it's only a game. I would however leave some kind of log as to me it is my own personal record, or diary if you like, of my geocaching activity.

Happy caching! :unsure::)

If you arrive at the cache spot and you cannot search due to nearby muggler activity in the vicinity then surely you also cannot log a DNF. :unsure: Do you agree or not? :)
I agree. Perhaps taking this a little further would clarify the point. What if you went downtown to find 10 caches. When you arrive downtown you see that there is a huge parade going on and it will be impossible to find any of the 10 caches. Would you DNF all 10 of those caches? ;) Edited by TrailGators

I have used my DNF list to settle scores with caches which I couldn't find, but generally I use DNF logs to let the owner know there's a possible (or actual!) problem. Where a note makes more sense, I use a note even though this makes finding the unfound listing harder- Geocaching.com Google maps links on pages will highlight DNFs in an area I'm revisiting. That cache logo amongst lots of happy faces stands out :grin:

Edited by Simply Paul

Don't think it matters much either way, especially if in your log/note you mention why you didn't succeed. However, I'd probably log a DNF if I'd tried to search for it but failed, which would include muggles. Useful to others to know that muggles are an issue. If an unusual parade came along that stopped me looking, I'd use a note. If three muggles were sitting on the bench where the cache is I'd log a DNF.

Personally I never log a DNF unless I have really had a good look and satisfied myself that it's not to be found. That doesn't always mean it's not there.. :blink:

If I see DNFs on my caches I go out to make sure they are still in place. That sometimes is a long trip by bike so I would rather not have DNFs on caches where no one has bothered to even look.

However, I have now started emailing the person who logged the DNF to find out if they were actually in the right place before I set off to replace it.

Last week I went out for a FTF on a new cache and spent an hour (with a friend I was hoping to convert!!)searching everywhere. That was a big DNF; the cache owner checked with me where I was looking, and confirmed I was in the right place. He is now waiting for the next couple of logs before he goes off to check that its still actually there.

As a non premium member I do my own searches and dont have to rely on information that shows up on PQs so I guess that makes life easier.