Would you seek a cache like this

Synopsis. A novice cryptozooligist embarks on a mission to capure video proof of the existance of bigfoot. Communications from him cease and when he does not return at the close of his scheduled date of return a search party is formed. The search party begins the search at the spot where he last communicated his whereabouts via satelite phone. The searchers find a ransacked campsite but no sign of him. Examining the items at the camp a video disk is found that contains footage of his previous few days. His video describes what he has encountered the last few days and his fear for his life.

Seekers would need a portable DVD player to play the footage which would reveal clues to the next location. Once completed seekers would learn what happened to this man and if he did capture footage of an allusive Noth American Primate.

The cache is proposed as several stage night cache.

* I can't give away all of the details of this cache but I will say this, Seekers of this cache will feel real fear and be immerced in a professional quality movie about the search for bigfoot. FTF will obtain a full DVD of the movie with scenes not in the clue videos.

Edited by scorpionkill

Nobody? Chickens! :)

Seriously. I want to know what you think prior to starting this one.

Synopsis. A novice cryptozooligist embarks on a mission to capure video proof of the existance of bigfoot. Communications from him cease and when he does not return at the close of his scheduled date of return a search party is formed. The search party begins the search at the spot where he last communicated his whereabouts via satelite phone. The searchers find a ransacked campsite but no sign of him. Examining the items at the camp a video disk is found that contains footage of his previous few days. His video describes what he has encountered the last few days and his fear for his life.

Seakers would need a portable DVD player to play the footage which would reveal clues to the next location. Once completed seekers would learn what happened to this man and if he did capture footage of an allusive Noth American Primate.

* I can't give away all of the details of this cache but I will say this, Seekers of this cache will feel real fear and be immerced in a professional quality movie about the search for bigfoot. FTF will obtain a full DVD of the movie with scenes not in the clue videos.

Sounds like it would be a lot of fun for adults, but you must remember that there will be children involved. You can put a notice on the page, that it's for adults only, but some people never read the page before going after a cache. Another problem that I see is the DVD player. Not everyone will have one. Could you possibly use a "journal" instead? Maybe with a few snapshots for "evidence".

One other thing. I do hope you're not planning on creating a "ransacked campsite" in the woods. You should read through the Guidelines for hiding a cache before going much further.

Are you going to provide the DVD player?

Sounds like an interesting concept though.

good luck with it.

No. The DVD player would be the responsibility of the seeker. I understand that this would cut down on visits. In this case I think this would be a good thing as I plan to have the final contain some better swag and not the MacDonald toy specials. I estimate that only serious seekers would try this one as going into a forest at night is too scary to most people.

Portable DVD players are more common today as the price has dropped quite a bit so this doesn't concern me as much as getting people to enter the woods at night.

Are you going to provide the DVD player?

Sounds like an interesting concept though.

good luck with it.

No. The DVD player would be the responsibility of the seeker. I understand that this would cut down on visits. In this case I think this would be a good thing as I plan to have the final contain some better swag and not the MacDonald toy specials. I estimate that only serious seekers would try this one as going into a forest at night is too scary to most people.

Portable DVD players are more common today as the price has dropped quite a bit so this doesn't concern me as much as getting people to enter the woods at night.

Then...

NOPE

Again. If you don't have a portable DVD player then you simply don't go for this cache. I have seen so many caches that seem to be simply designed to bump up finder numbers. These caces are plain and downright boring.

I will provide a cache that will be rememberable, one that finders will talk about when they reflect on their best caching moments. If only 10 people find it in it's life then so be it. This cache is not about numbers and more about an exhilirating experience.

I wouldnt like to be trekking through the woods with a dvd player in my bag...what if you fell and broke it?

And in response to totem clan...why should he spend money just for YOUR enjoyment?!

Edited by Lotho

Would I hunt the cache? No. I think a cachers first hide should be something easy and straighforward. A multi-stage night cache from someone that has very little experience in hiding caches would not interest me due to the high probability for errors in coordinates, leaky containers, poor maintanence, etc.

As the saying goes, you have to crawl before you can walk and walk before you can run. IE start with something less complicated and work your way up to this idea as you learn the ropes.

Again. If you don't have a portable DVD player then you simply don't go for this cache. I have seen so many caches that seem to be simply designed to bump up finder numbers. These caces are plain and downright boring.

I will provide a cache that will be rememberable, one that finders will talk about when they reflect on their best caching moments. If only 10 people find it in it's life then so be it. This cache is not about numbers and more about an exhilirating experience.

Was going to reply to this, but Lotho did it for me. :)

I wouldnt like to be trekking through the woods with a dvd player in my bag...what if you fell and broke it?

And in response to totem clan...why should he spend money just for YOUR enjoyment?!

And to expound upon that...

Why should I spend my money, any amount of my money, to buy a piece of equipment I would only use to find to go find one cache, when the owner could have done the cache differently or paid for the equipment out or their pocket without changing my experience at the cache?

And I'm not taking my laptop, which is my portable DVD player, into the woods in the dark. Not unless you insure it for me.

Edited by Totem Clan

Personally I think it sounds pretty cool!!! Its sort of like the Blair Witch project where they were out investigating that witch and disappeared. Then they found nothing of the searchers but their horrifying video footage.

I also find the bigfoot myth pretty interesting. I love to watch that History Channel show MonsterQuest. They have a new season starting next Wed.

I don't have a portable DVD player either but I've been wanting to buy one and I know several people I could borrow one from. You might even be able to rent them at a video store.

Edited by redtech

OK. First off I don't recall ever stating that this was for my enjoyment. The enjoyment would be in seeking the cache. Also I never said you had to go out and buy a portable DVD player, if you happened to have one you could find this cache if not then you don't go looking for it. Simple as that. Is there a rule that states that caches have to be accesible by all geocachers? I don't think so.

I am not offended if you don't own a portable DVD player and thus don't find this cache. For those that DO have a portable DVD player then this will be an exciting cache for YOU if you are willing to take it in the woods with you.

To whom ever said that this cache can't be done succesfully without first placing a more simple cahe. Do you think that one only becomes aware of waterproof containers by placing geocaches? I can assure you that I can place this cache (yes my first cache) sucessfully the first time. Geocaching does not require a dedicated degree.

Was going to reply to this, but Lotho did it for me. :)

And to expound upon that...

Why should I spend my money, any amount of my money, to buy a piece of equipment I would only use to find to go find one cache, when the owner could have done the cache differently or paid for the equipment out or their pocket without changing my experience at the cache?

And I'm not taking my laptop, which is my portable DVD player, into the woods in the dark. Not unless you insure it for me.

I think this is a great idea for a cache. As far as needing a portable DVD player, since this is a complicated night cache, most likely it will be done by a group of people. One of the people in the group will most likely have a portable DVD player. Also, if it turns out to be a great cache, as evidenced by positive logs, people will want to do it and they'll find a way to borrow the equipment if they need to.

I just released a complicated puzzle cache that needs special equipment to complete (video camera, polarized sunglasses,etc.) It's meant to be a challenge. Part of the challenge may be to protect your valuable equipment while you're in the woods.

Also I never said you had to go out and buy a portable DVD player, if you happened to have one you could find this cache if not then you don't go looking for it.

That's correct. You asked if I would go find the cache and I said no. Then I gave you the reason why I said no.

Simple as that. Is there a rule that states that caches have to be accesible by all geocachers? I don't think so.

Not one person has said there was such a guideline. You asked a question and you got an answer. Why are you so upset about the answer?

I am not offended if you don't own a portable DVD player and thus don't find this cache. For those that DO have a portable DVD player then this will be an exciting cache for YOU if you are willing to take it in the woods with you.

You do know that you WILL have to rate you cache a 5 because 'special' equipment is required to find the cache

To whom ever said that this cache can't be done succesfully without first placing a more simple cahe. Do you think that one only becomes aware of waterproof containers by placing geocaches? I can assure you that I can place this cache (yes my first cache) sucessfully the first time. Geocaching does not require a dedicated degree.

Then place the cache and prove them wrong.

But whatever you do, don't ask a question if you don't want the answer.

Or you could just do like me and place a cache less than a mile from a documented bigfoot sighting!

Seriously, though, I'd probably consider doing the cache if the first few logs gave it good reviews. I'm sure I could borrow a portable DVD player or find one in a pawn shop somewhere.

It would probably be a cache I'd enjoy doing with a group.

FWIW.

Great idea!

I'd hunt for your cache, and I would bring my portable DVD player to boot. Don't let anyone "rain on your parade" by discouraging your creativity, for your first hide. Some of my favorite caches were from cachers with only a few hides.

I created a Bigfoot cache of my own.

The-Legend-of-Big-Ben.gif

Edited by Kit Fox

Great idea!

I'd hunt for your cache, and I would bring my portable DVD player to boot. Don't let anyone "rain on your parade" by discouraging your creativity, for your first hide. Some of my favorite caches were from cachers with only a few hides.

I created a Bigfoot cache of my own.

The-Legend-of-Big-Ben.gif

I misread a reply and got a little perturbed. That's my fault.

Seekers would need a portable DVD player to play the footage which would reveal clues to the next location. Once completed seekers would learn what happened to this man and if he did capture footage of an allusive Noth American Primate.

That sounds like an interesting idea, I would go for it. If it is done well, the word will go out and many will flock to the cache. I wouldn't worry about those that don't have the equipment, if they want to find it believe me, they will find a dvd player.

I would vote against the youtube/online video, it can become one of those armchair caches where you get all the clues online and go straight to the end.

I wish you lived near Land Between the Lakes, KY, it would make a great cache for KTAG's annual Ghost Chase Event.

Heck yeah, I'd do it! I have a reasonably cheap portable DVD player that's perfect for the task. Love the concept, too. Advice: keep the terrain moderate at worst. You can do an awesome cache that really develops a horror-flick sense of dread if you put the work in, but people worrying about falling and harming themselves or their precious DVD-player cargo would be a major detractor. I'd keep it to marked trails.

Have you heard of Wherigo? The GPS/PDA technology to play custom sounds and video clips when the user arrives at a specific location isn't there yet -- right now it's limited to just popping up informative and interactive text, menus, and pictures -- but I can see it happening in the next few years. Something to keep an eye on.

Heck yeah, I'd do it! I have a reasonably cheap portable DVD player that's perfect for the task. Love the concept, too. Advice: keep the terrain moderate at worst. You can do an awesome cache that really develops a horror-flick sense of dread if you put the work in, but people worrying about falling and harming themselves or their precious DVD-player cargo would be a major detractor. I'd keep it to marked trails.

Have you heard of Wherigo? The GPS/PDA technology to play custom sounds and video clips when the user arrives at a specific location isn't there yet -- right now it's limited to just popping up informative and interactive text, menus, and pictures -- but I can see it happening in the next few years. Something to keep an eye on.

I did a little reading on Wherigo this morning. I will keep an eye on it for possible use in this cache. The blair Witch project is an inspiration for this cache. I will be similar type movie but based on bigfoot.

Edited by scorpionkill

Well for this cache the idea of the movie is to find several DVD's not just one. I wouldn't want you to see the whole movie up front.

Ouch. This does not sound like a good idea - this will be a very high maintenance cache as specialized items in the cache have a fairly good chance of taking a walk (accidentally left in player) requiring regular replacement. Not to mention the near certainty of damage to the DVD from dirt/dust/handling etc...

On the whole, I don't think I'd do this cache. Portable DVD players are getting cheap - but not cheap enough to risk losing/damaging in the woods and decidedly not cheap enough to risk damaging because one of the 'several' DVD's are damp and/or dirty.

Equally, I don't find reassurances that this will be a cache for the ages from someone with so few finds, no hides at all, and such a large chip to be very reassuring.

I think it sounds like an interesting idea. I personally wouldn't be able to go after it, since I don't have a portable DVD player, and I wouldn't want to take my laptop out in the woods. If I ended up grabbing such a DVD player for other purposes, I'd certainly look for it if I were in the area. I say place it and see what happens. Like you mentioned there are a lot of folks who already have the required equipment. The worst that might happen is you only get a few finds on it. From what you said in one of your earlier posts, you're not looking to place a cache that is a quick park-n-grab, 300 finds per year kind of cache anyhow. :)

Edited by Mr. 0

Sounds like an awesome idea! Too bad I'm all the way out on the West Coast...maybe one day if I ever visit your neck of the woods. We have a few multi's around here that require hiking through the woods at night and it's not too bad, especially if you go with a group (the more people, the more fun!). I like the twist to this idea though, a cache like that here in Washington State would be a thrill especially since there are so many bigfoot reports and stories here. :)

Even though a portable DVD player is needed, I see it no different from other caches that require "special equipment" (e.g. a boat, rock climbing gear, submarine, etc.) Just make sure you give it a higher difficulty rating. Like others have said, it'll have to stay well maintained, but if you think you'll be able to handle that I'd say go for it! Good luck!

Edited by tsunami_KNUW

I think the problem most people would have with this cache is that portable video-media players and transfer capabilities are neither easy nor cheap nor especially weather-resistant. For example: my cell phone has a micro-SD slot, from which I can upload and play all kinds of files, including MP3 and WMV. The problem is that it's not a widespread technology (yet) and micro-SD chips aren't that cheap (yet). I really like your idea, and in fact I'm going to keep it on my long-term 'to-do' list for a year or two until personal media technology moves ahead a bit more. Who knows: maybe by next summer I can do a cache like this on SD chips instead of DVDs.

I think the problem most people would have with this cache is that portable video-media players and transfer capabilities are neither easy nor cheap nor especially weather-resistant. For example: my cell phone has a micro-SD slot, from which I can upload and play all kinds of files, including MP3 and WMV. The problem is that it's not a widespread technology (yet) and micro-SD chips aren't that cheap (yet). I really like your idea, and in fact I'm going to keep it on my long-term 'to-do' list for a year or two until personal media technology moves ahead a bit more. Who knows: maybe by next summer I can do a cache like this on SD chips instead of DVDs.

Are you serious? My 2g micro Sd card was just about $14 US! And my 60csx cost way more than a portable DVD player. Though I agree that I would not spend $100 plus JUST to go for one cache, I would take one out in the woods in a heart beat. I guess I feel if I am willing to take my $400 GPS (when new) and my $300 phone out in the woods then the laptop or viewer would just be another piece of equipment I would have to watch out for.

BTW, my portable dvd player survived two tours of Iraq and a few camping trips but finally got killed by a disney movie on a road trip with my granddaughter :unsure:

Well for this cache the idea of the movie is to find several DVD's not just one. I wouldn't want you to see the whole movie up front.

Ouch. This does not sound like a good idea - this will be a very high maintenance cache as specialized items in the cache have a fairly good chance of taking a walk (accidentally left in player) requiring regular replacement. Not to mention the near certainty of damage to the DVD from dirt/dust/handling etc...

On the whole, I don't think I'd do this cache. Portable DVD players are getting cheap - but not cheap enough to risk losing/damaging in the woods and decidedly not cheap enough to risk damaging because one of the 'several' DVD's are damp and/or dirty.

Equally, I don't find reassurances that this will be a cache for the ages from someone with so few finds, no hides at all, and such a large chip to be very reassuring.

You are more than certainly entitled to your opinion. I don't see how finding a great number of caches has anything to do with being able to place a very effective and fun one on the first try. While I may have few finds compared to many of you I am more than capable of understanding what makes up a good cache. I have found basic grab and go caches as well as puzzle caches that made you think. To be honest with you there are so many caches out there that seem to have been placed for the sole purpose of placing a cache. These caches are far from elaborate and some of them are down right boring.

I have other hobbies as well so all of my free time is not dedicated to geocaching like some people on this site. I have experience in other areas that make me more than confident that I can pull this cache off and those who find it will regard it as one of the best they have ever done. I have put alot of preliminary work into this cache and I can assure you this will work. I beleive in Quality over Quantity and to me there are so many bland caches out there that cause new cachers to quickly loose interest in geocaching.

I'd definitely be down for trying to find a cache like this!

just a word of warning though. dont dress up in a big foot costume or monkey costume and try to frighten people. I know a group of guys that are all former SEALs and big into geocaching and they always carry weapons, and I'm not talking knives here, you get dressed up in a monkey suit and try to frighten the wrong people and your liable to have a big gun pointed at you. just a thought/warning :unsure:

I will maintain this cache bi-weekly during the warm weather months and monthly during the winter. I will provide new DVD copies if any go missing or get damaged. The containers will not be cheap tupperware but rather more expensive weather resistant containers. DVD's will be kept within a jewel case enclosed within a freezerbag.

The cache will be local to my home and accessible by me 24/7

I'd definitely be down for trying to find a cache like this!

just a word of warning though. dont dress up in a big foot costume or monkey costume and try to frighten people. I know a group of guys that are all former SEALs and big into geocaching and they always carry weapons, and I'm not talking knives here, you get dressed up in a monkey suit and try to frighten the wrong people and your liable to have a big gun pointed at you. just a thought/warning :unsure:

LOL.

I hear you on this. The movie will set the mood and the location will do the rest. No need for a live actor.

Thank you for your input on this cache. I will update this thread with progress on the creation of the cache. Footage will be shot over the first two weekends in June and it should take roughly a week to edit and burn the disks.

Stay Tuned. I will provide stills of the video in this thread.

I don't see how finding a great number of caches has anything to do with being able to place a very effective and fun one on the first try.

You don't see how having experience with something is helpful in doing that something?

I am more than capable of understanding what makes up a good cache.

Nobody is debating your capability to understand what makes up a good cache - what is questioned is whether you have the experience to understand what makes up a good cache and the problems inherent in maintaining a cache. These are two totally different issues.

Are you serious? My 2g micro Sd card was just about $14 US! And my 60csx cost way more than a portable DVD player. Though I agree that I would not spend $100 plus JUST to go for one cache, I would take one out in the woods in a heart beat. I guess I feel if I am willing to take my $400 GPS (when new) and my $300 phone out in the woods then the laptop or viewer would just be another piece of equipment I would have to watch out for.

BTW, my portable dvd player survived two tours of Iraq and a few camping trips but finally got killed by a disney movie on a road trip with my granddaughter :unsure:

I bought my 1GB PNY micro-SD card for around $20 (half price with rebate; orig. $40) around a year ago. It doesn't surprise me at all that prices have gone down, but for a cache like scorpionkill is talking about, you'd probably need half a dozen or more. Even at $10 for cheaper lower-capacity cards, fifty or sixty bucks is pricey for one cache. I'm betting prices will go down even more as SD chip usage becomes more widespread.

I bought my 1GB PNY micro-SD card for around $20 (half price with rebate; orig. $40) around a year ago. It doesn't surprise me at all that prices have gone down, but for a cache like scorpionkill is talking about, you'd probably need half a dozen or more. Even at $10 for cheaper lower-capacity cards, fifty or sixty bucks is pricey for one cache. I'm betting prices will go down even more as SD chip usage becomes more widespread.

Oh, I see what you were driving at with your first post; I guess you meant for him to leave these at the cache(s). Yea, I wouldn't do it even if they only cost $5.00. They would grow legs I would think, coins go missing all the time and you can track those.

I think you're cache idea sounds great. I love to night cache in the woods. And you're idea to me sounds like a lot of fun. I have a portable DVD player but only get about 2 and a half hours out of the batterys. So if it took longer than that I would probably do it in a few "hunts". Instead of just one. Wonder though how you would make it up so a person doesn't just watch it at home and then go out. I do like the idea of it beening on site though. Really though I could use my ipod touch and load it in there and use that. Kind of wonder how you would give out the movie file? I'm assuming it would be avalable to download from somewhere and I could burn off a copy.

I like the idea. I'd hunt it.

I have other hobbies as well so all of my free time is not dedicated to geocaching like some people on this site. I have experience in other areas that make me more than confident that I can pull this cache off and those who find it will regard it as one of the best they have ever done. I have put alot of preliminary work into this cache and I can assure you this will work. I beleive in Quality over Quantity and to me there are so many bland caches out there that cause new cachers to quickly loose interest in geocaching.

I think you've got a good handle on this. You seem to be okay with the predictions that your target audience will be smaller and that lugging the extra device out into the woods is going to pose some hardships (and result in whining) to cachers that already carry a GPS, Phone, Camera, and PDA. The extra energy that it would require to put this together doesn't seem like a problem for you and only time will tell what the maintenance will be like. I've got two words for you Patna: Giddy up.

I love some of the replies in this thread, they are just classic.

I'd hate to break my DVD player......if I fell.

Most cachers I've seen are carrying a $250-$400 GPS, a $200-$400 digital camera, a $50-$150 cell phone, a $50-$150 PDA. Some keep a laptop in their car. $800+.

I say go for it. I had envisioned that you place the first DVD near the parking stage so the cachers can watch the DVD in their car, return the DVD, lock up their portable DVD player and then begin the adventure.

However, you're talking about a DVD at each stage. I think the poster who warned about maintenance night mares is spot on. From what I've seen cachers are hard on caches. But, it will be your baby. If you're cool with

"DVD #4 won't play...", "Final DVD is missing last cachers must have forgotten to remove from their machine..." "DVD #2 is cracked and won't play..." etc.

then by all means do it. The Big Foot legends fascinate me and I'm betting most cachers as well.

Edited by Morning Dew