Cache rating system.

I like the idea. The main problem I see is that one has to log on to another website to rate a cache and I think a lot of people (maybe most??) wouldn't bother. Another thing that caught my eye was a statement about stuffing the ballot box and using "data mining software" to prevent that. This caused a red flag to pop up in my mind, but maybe I'm over reacting.

At first I wondered how I could find a listed cache because it seemed to be random order. Then I found I could sort by clicking on the column heading to sort by that column. Even with the relatively few caches listed, the sort seemed to take awhile. With a lot more caches, might it bog down?

It may turn out that my concerns may easily be resolved, and I do like the idea.

I like the idea. The main problem I see is that one has to log on to another website to rate a cache and I think a lot of people (maybe most??) wouldn't bother. Another thing that caught my eye was a statement about stuffing the ballot box and using "data mining software" to prevent that. This caused a red flag to pop up in my mind, but maybe I'm over reacting.

At first I wondered how I could find a listed cache because it seemed to be random order. Then I found I could sort by clicking on the column heading to sort by that column. Even with the relatively few caches listed, the sort seemed to take awhile. With a lot more caches, might it bog down?

It may turn out that my concerns may easily be resolved, and I do like the idea.

I think you might be over-reacting just a tad.. The data mining concept should have been defined as nothing more than looking for unlikely ratings coming from a single IP. Do you really think Joe Blow was in 8 different states and thought every cache was rated a "1"?

With all online voting, it will never be perfect and totally anonymous at the same time. Precisely why online voting for our politicians will probably never happen. Bottom line is, ratethiscache.com is just another fun tool that geocachers can use.

I'm not sure how to understand the rating system without having to sign up.

Side note.

Nothing is ever going to be perfect,

Not a basis of how we should decide things. Otherwise I'd never leave my house.

I was speaking only of the topic at hand. I guess that wasn't too clear, so let me quantify that.

No rating system that depends on subjectivity is ever going to be perfect.

:unsure:

Copied from the Geocache Rating System home page

Listing a geocache

If you own a geocache and you would like to use this website to allow your fellow geocachers to rate your geocache, you must accept these terms: YOU MUST CREATE AN ACCOUNT USING A VALID EMAIL ADDRESS. YOU USE THIS WEBSITE AT YOUR OWN RISK. THERE ARE NO GUARANTEES. WE ARE NOT LIABLE FOR ANY OUTCOME. IF YOU DO NOT ACCEPT THESE TERMS OR CANNOT ACCEPT THE POSSIBILITY THAT YOUR GEOCACHE MIGHT GET A POOR RATING, PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS WEBSITE.

Create a new account - It's free!

Voting on a geocache

If you want to use this website to rate a geocache, you must accept these terms: USE THIS WEBSITE AT YOUR OWN RISK. YOU AGREE TO BE FAIR AND ONLY RATE A GEOCACHE YOU'VE FOUND. YOU AGREE TO RATE A GEOCACHE ONLY ONCE. If you accept these terms, feel free to rate geocaches on this website.

It is important to note that you do NOT need an account to vote on geocaches listed on this website. If you do have an account on this website and you decide to vote on a geocache listed here, your account information IS NOT captured. ALL voting is completely anonymous.

I'm not a fan of this type of rating system. I'd rather see something like "Those who rated this cache like you also rated these caches similarly." The problem with a rating system is that we don't all like the same things in a cache. I may rate your cache a one and Billy cache hunter may rate the same cache a five. Both valid ratings as we don't like the same things.

That said I will admit I have no idea how they do those kind of things. Would it be hard to program?

We just have no interest in having our caches rated or in rating others. We feel that the cache logs speak for themselves as to how people feel about the cache.

Besides we do this because it's fun

OK. That's a good reason.

It was just that you chimed in right after I post the quote from the home page and I thought it something to do with that. ;):unsure:

Edited by Totem Clan

I tried this rating system and it didn't work.

Basically to sum it up feedback needs to be linked to a user to be effective. I have a cache that only one person has ever found because it is in the middle of no where. 30 minutes after I added the link for the ratings system, it was graded a 5 5 5 5. You would think I would be stoked, but I know it was bum feedback for two reasons. #1, the cache is not a 5 5 5 5. #2, I don't know the cacher who found it and he is not in my circles so I know he didn't rate it.

Since then all of my feedback has been random 1 1 1 1 ratings. I know my caches don't suck that bad. Basically since it is anonymous, any tool can come along and give me worthless feedback.

I like the idea of a numbers system, but it would have to be linked back to someone. If someone is abusing it, then they can be held accountable. If you give someone a 1 1 1 1 then the owner can contact they could ask specifically what made the cache suck so bad. If you can't give them justification why, then we know you are a sour grapes rater.

Or we could just leave the system as it is. If you don't like a cache, post the reasons why in your comments. They are public, they can be debated, and there is no hiding.