400T thermometer

My 400T thermometer always reads about 77 degrees. The one thing I have not yet tried is to set it outside for a while and see if it really changes. I am assuming that the temp is caused by my holding it so its staying pretty stable due to body heat.

Anyone left theirs out and gotten anything close to a real temperature reading?

Has mine on the car holder for about 6 hours on a trip yesterday, thermostat was set to 74 and it read 78. Now I know if it were 78 in the vehicle I would have been warm and turned the AC up. I don't think it's ever been correct and I wonder if it's more to display it's internal temp or something.

Mine got up to 105° last weekend on a hike. I'm honestly not sure it was actually that hot out, but it was pretty warm. This was in direct sunlight around 1:00, so it was possible. At any rate, it was fun being able to brag about being out in that kind of heat, caching. Here is a picture taken before it reached that.

bf070112-fef5-47c8-9d17-85d936ecd220.jpg

Mine got up to 105° last weekend on a hike. I'm honestly not sure it was actually that hot out, but it was pretty warm. This was in direct sunlight around 1:00, so it was possible. At any rate, it was fun being able to brag about being out in that kind of heat, caching. Here is a picture taken before it reached that.

It's my understanding that the temperature displayed is the internal temperature of the unit. Like most computers it refers to the processor temperature, not ambient outside temperature.

If that is the case then they really shouldn't call the data field "Air Temp" and, for that matter, they shouldn't even make it visible as a data field. Most older Garmins do have some sort of internal temperature sensor which is visible through a diagnostic screen and I'm guessing they decided not to make this data visible through the user interface precisely because they don't provide any value to most users.

GO$Rs

The Magellan Meridian has a temperature sensor and it had to be configured to match an outdoor thermometer. Once that was done, you would see the correct outdoor temperature being displayed.

Has anybody checked to see if this could be done on the 400t?

My 400t behaves almost exactly the same as my eXplorist 600 does with the temperature sensor - usually reports in the 25C - 32C range, regardless of the actual air temperature. My eXplorist had a recommendation to leave it to sit in the air temp for 30 minutes before expecting a proper reading. I suspect most of the temperature troubles come from the fact that we hold them in our hands, and they work best when exposed to sunlight.

Solved the problem with a $5 keychain thermometer on the backpack.... I bought the GPS to show my location more than the temperature anyway :)

Press and hold the right soft key to take a screen shot......

The picture was taken on a hike. I could take a screen shot now, but it is currently 66° in my house :huh:

Well put the Colorado in the oven and when the temp gets to 102 take it out and do a screen shot. :grin: Of course you will need a remote antenna in order to get a lock in the oven but such are the sacrifices we make in the name of science. :(

Well put the Colorado in the oven and when the temp gets to 102 take it out and do a screen shot. :grin: Of course you will need a remote antenna in order to get a lock in the oven but such are the sacrifices we make in the name of science. :(

If he puts the Colorado in Demo Mode he can simulate the lock for the purposes of the photo.... :huh: