Google Earth - Yellow Pin peril

Yes, but the basic system is still a waste of space. Find a cache and then zoom in. After a short while the ICON will move to another position. Just checked with our local caches and they all end up in the wrong locations. It's always been like that unfortunately

Yes, but the basic system is still a waste of space. Find a cache and then zoom in. After a short while the ICON will move to another position. Just checked with our local caches and they all end up in the wrong locations. It's always been like that unfortunately

It was deliberately designed like that by Groundspeak to offset the caches so folk couldn't find them just using GE. I have no idea why though as to find a cache all you need to do is paste the coordinates from the cache listing into GE search window and hey presto it's spot on. You can even use this method to allow new users to try geocaching before forking out on a gps - you need to be selective thogh going for caches you can make out in GE.

So IMHO not a waste of space at all but a useful way of seeing caces on the ground in areas I'm visiting.

<<So IMHO not a waste of space at all but a useful way of seeing caces on the ground in areas I'm visiting.>>

OK, but it doesn't do that and cache locations can be some way inaccurate - like the wrong side of a river or major road. We use Memory Map to check on caches before we head out and that is pretty accurate. Lord only knows why GC don't approve of Google Earth as it would be a very useful facility.... if it worked.

<<So IMHO not a waste of space at all but a useful way of seeing caces on the ground in areas I'm visiting.>>

OK, but it doesn't do that and cache locations can be some way inaccurate - like the wrong side of a river or major road. We use Memory Map to check on caches before we head out and that is pretty accurate. Lord only knows why GC don't approve of Google Earth as it would be a very useful facility.... if it worked.

If you're exporting from GSAK to MM to check cache locations you can also export to GE and check that way - in which case the pins are as accurate as MM's are...