Anyone live near Franklin, NC?

LDove

I am going out there to do some gem finding and also geocaching. Not familiar with the area, and since it is mountainous - can you tell me if there are snakes or any other nasties :laughing: I need to worry about. Any caches that are particularly good in that area? Thanks! :laughing:

I don't live near Franklin, but I do travel there frequently for work. Snakes can be a concern, but I wouldn't let it keep me from enjoying a day of caching. The two poisonous species to be aware of are copperheads and timber rattlers, but I typically only run into one each per year on average (and I spend ALOT of time outdoors when I'm in the area).

As for caches, if you want to avoid the crowds and find a good quick hike in a nice area, I recommend driving up to Albert Mountain and looking for LZ33. We have a research plot up there, so if you run into somebody working in the woods along the bottom half of the trail, and they're from Mississippi, that's our group.

I am going out there to do some gem finding and also geocaching. Not familiar with the area, and since it is mountainous - can you tell me if there are snakes or any other nasties :) I need to worry about. Any caches that are particularly good in that area? Thanks! :)

Make sure you take the scenic drive from Franklin on US 64 to Highlands, NC. The road was cut out of the side of a mountain and there are several waterfalls along the way (with caches of course) Cullasaja falls, Dry falls, Bridle Veil falls, Glenn falls, ect.

http://www.ncwaterfalls.com/cull1.htm

Also if you take RT 441 south, just over the border you can see Black Rock Mountain state park or keep going to the Talluhah gorge which is worth seeing. I recommend getting a day pass and hiking to the bottom.

http://gastateparks.org/info/tallulah/

Booked it, will be about 4 miles out of Franklin so hoping to catch some of the caches mentioned as well as stay away from any snakes. :huh: Do you have tons of mosquitos and ticks there? :grin:

Edited by LDove

Booked it, will be about 4 miles out of Franklin so hoping to catch some of the caches mentioned as well as stay away from any snakes. :huh: Do you have tons of mosquitos and ticks there? :grin:

Yes. Ticks are big this year, mosquitos are actually suffering a bit. Snakes are out in force too. But as DavidMac said, dont let that stop you.

Yes. Ticks are big this year, mosquitos are actually suffering a bit. Snakes are out in force too. But as DavidMac said, dont let that stop you.
Originally from Burlington (but now in Florida) but we return occasionally. Like to hang out at NOC http://www.noc.com/ and we stay around the Franklin/Highlands area (like Highlands much better then the city feel of Franklin but the kids like The Warehouse). Really enjoyed the caches around there like Whiteside Mountain GC92CE that was fun to do in the sleeting snow walking the trails covered with ice :grin:

My nephew is still up there and got bit by a tick last year and got Human granulocytic anaplasmosis (HGA) (or ehrlichiosis) and was pretty bad off for a couple weeks. I recommend tight legged long pants (like the kind with the tie string at the end of the legs), plenty of deet and check your hair and legs often. Don't be paranoid, just be careful. As far as the snakes if you walk heavily and strike your hiking stick on the ground as you walk, they pick up on the vibrations and will probably scoot away before you get too close.

Watch for poison ivy, too. Seems we have a nation wide bumper crop of super potent growth lately. Too bad we can't power our vehicles off poison ivy, fire ants, kudzu and brazillian peppr trees :huh:

Make sure you take the scenic drive from Franklin on US 64 to Highlands, NC.

I have only one thing to say about that stretch of road:

:grin:

If you like mountain roads with blind corners, endless curves, and cliffs that hang over the pavement, it's a great drive. On a motorcycle, it's a blast. If you're used to flat land and wide highways with shoulders, that road may not be for you.

I drove it four times a week for two months last summer. My advice: stay off of it at 7:30 in the morning, when all the good 'ol boys take their work trucks up the mountain. People like to really cut corners on that road, and I saw numerous head-on collisions last year where one person flew around a blind curve completely in the wrong lane (and only by some miracle was I spared from being in two or three of them). Later in the day, the tourists come out and things really slow down (you'll probably spend most of your time in a line of cars 10-deep behind a camper). Still, you could make a whole day out of diving to Highlands and back looking for caches along the way (there are lots of great hides along that route).

Make sure you take the scenic drive from Franklin on US 64 to Highlands, NC.

I have only one thing to say about that stretch of road:

:huh:

If you like mountain roads with blind corners, endless curves, and cliffs that hang over the pavement, it's a great drive. On a motorcycle, it's a blast. If you're used to flat land and wide highways with shoulders, that road may not be for you.

I drove it four times a week for two months last summer. My advice: stay off of it at 7:30 in the morning, when all the good 'ol boys take their work trucks up the mountain. People like to really cut corners on that road, and I saw numerous head-on collisions last year where one person flew around a blind curve completely in the wrong lane (and only by some miracle was I spared from being in two or three of them). Later in the day, the tourists come out and things really slow down (you'll probably spend most of your time in a line of cars 10-deep behind a camper). Still, you could make a whole day out of driving to Highlands and back looking for caches along the way (there are lots of great hides along that route).

It is like that, but not so much. :grin:

Its also the one of most scenic stretches of road around. I've driven it hundreds of times in a Jeep Wrangler with 35" tires and never had any problems. There was a 48' tractor trailer that caused quite a problem when it attempted to (illegally) go that way out of Highlands that I can remember. The only accidents I've seen is when the road was covered with a few inches of snow and there were quite a few cars in ditches.

The Cullasaja waterfall is on the way and probably the largest in the area, and up the road there is a popular swimming spot where kids jump 20' off a boulder into the creek.

Cullasaja falls cache

5ea9e359-fa79-461a-b942-bcbdae1ed7ed.jpg

I've only seen snakes a few times on numerous trips while hiking out there, and you most likely wont see any. They are most noticeable during the "dog days" of summer in August when it is the hottest.

What a beautiful picture! THANK YOU! I will definitely try to get to that, and go when the roads are less busy - probably after sleeping in late and midday. I also appreciate the reassurances about snakes, I am really not afraid of snakes, just wanted to be prepared should I run into any since I am not used to that.