Help an Idiot

OK There has never been an electronic object I met I could not figure out until now. So just call me an idiot because I keep heaing how simple the Etrex H is to work but I cant get it to do a darn thing.

I want to put cords in and find a cache. Where do you put the cords you want to go to and how? Yes I read the book and it never says how to take N 28 49.622 W097 00.960 and get it into the gps.....

You can stop looking for the clickstick...

With the unit on, you can just press and hold the ENTER key until the MARK WAYPOINT page is displayed (MOB feature).

Press the DOWN key twice, and then press the ENTER key to select the marked co-ords. Use the UP and/or DOWN keys to scroll over the digits you need to change. Press the ENTER key to select the digit to change and press the ENTER key to select it. Use the UP and/or DOWN keys to change the digit. Press the ENTER key to select the change. Continue until you have finished changing the marked co-ords and select the OK button.

Then press the DOWN key twice more to get to the waypoint's name. Change this to whatever you want/need. Select the OK button.

Press the DOWN key one last time to select the OK? bubble.

Thanks for the help guys. I will try again this pm. I thought this was going to be so simple. After spending 4 or 5 minutes changing each number I made some sort of mistake the GPS said the cache was 704 miles away. Grrrrr

Is the legend more user friendly?

The units with a joy stick have a screen with numbers/letters - you navigate the grid with a joystick to make the selections. More importantly, they also come with a USB connection and MapSource. You can download the coordinates to your computer and upload to the device and, in the case of caches, you can download the waypoints directly to your device.

If you are thinking about a different model, get one of the new ones, i.e. Venture HC, Summit HC, Legend HCx or Vista HCx. The high sensitivity receivers are worth the difference.

The units with a joy stick have a screen with numbers/letters - you navigate the grid with a joystick to make the selections. More importantly, they also come with a USB connection and MapSource. You can download the coordinates to your computer and upload to the device and, in the case of caches, you can download the waypoints directly to your device.

If you are thinking about a different model, get one of the new ones, i.e. Venture HC, Summit HC, Legend HCx or Vista HCx. The high sensitivity receivers are worth the difference.

The eTrex H is high-sensitivity.

Just buy a cable for it so you can transfer waypoints via you PC. It's too easy to make an error entering them by hand.

After spending 4 or 5 minutes changing each number I made some sort of mistake the GPS said the cache was 704 miles away.

Sounds like you may need to set the position (coordinate) format to hddd mm.mmm. I don’t have that unit, so I can’t tell you how.

Is the legend more user friendly?

In regard to entering coordinates, probably not. Most of them work that way. Just try to stay calm and keep trying. Once you get the hang of it, it’s really not bad.
The eTrex H is high-sensitivity.

I understand that, but the Legend, which he mentioned in his second post is a discontinued model and not high-sensitivity.

Just buy a cable for it so you can transfer waypoints via you PC. It's too easy to make an error entering them by hand.

That's correct, assuming that his computer has a serial port. At the same time, a Venture HC, that comes with a USB cable in the box, wouldn't cost much more than an eTrex H, plus a cable plus a USB adaptor.

The Legend I was mentioning is a more expensive model so I assume better. I may exchange since is looks like the cost of the cable for the H would cost more then just switching for the better model.

Thanks for all the help. We just love caching and we havce done all in our area that is pratical with a pc gps. We are in a hurry to get back out there.

BTW Laurenfra is a she

Please accept my apologies. I grew up in an era when the English language included the "rule" that, when gender is unknown/unspecified "he" is appropriate (i.e. she/he was understood).

Assuming that you are doing an exchange, you already have established a relationship with a dealer. If you have the option of dealing with someone else, you should note that OffRoute as a pretty good deal at the moment on the Venture HC - either by itself or bundled with Topo2008.

http://www.offroute.com/product/view_produ...amp;CatID=14347

I have no connections with them except that I am a satisfied customer.

The Venture HC and Legend HCx are similar units. Apart from color, the principle difference is that the Venture has 24mb of internal memory. The Legend has no internal memory - instead it has a slot for a micro SD card and the storage is limited to the size of the card that you get (separate purchase). It would also give you the option of purchasing multiple cards so that, if you wanted to change data, you could swap cards rather than reload new data. With the extra memory, the Legend also has some navigational features (primarily for use in a vehicle) that the Venture doesn't have.