Etrex Legend HCx

I just bought/upgraded from the Etrex H to the Legend HCx. When using the etrex H the "compass" would move very rapidly but accurately to the direction of the cache. I just started using the Legend and the arrow doesn't do squat, it moves so slowly that it seems as if it isn't even working.....ive tried changing the course and bearing pointer mode, and changing lock to street with no luck..... i figure i must be missing something because other than the pretty pictures and the "1ft increase in accuracy" that the legend shows, the Etrex H was better at locating a cache.

The Legend does not have an electronic compass, so like the H, the unit is just doing its best to point your way. Yes, you have to have it set to show your bearing (not your heading or course), and you have to be navigating to a waypoint (otherwise it doesnt know where to point). It sounds like you've covered those bases. Not sure why it is responding so slowly. I would try fresh batteries, and be sure the unit is not in battery saver mode.

Updating to the latest firmware (2.6/2.6) should help this quite a bit, if it is not already in your unit. Early versions had trouble detecting motion below 2 miles/hour, so if you are moving slowly while trying to figure out where the cache is, it might have trouble detecting the direction you were moving in.

I have a Legend hcx and a Legend cx and the arrow on the hcx is MUCH MUCH slower than the cx. The batteries are good and the hcx is 2.6/2.6. It was not 2.6/2.6 from the factory and the reason I upgraded to 2.6/2.6 was the slow pointer. One in each hand walking around. Wish it could get fixed. My old Venture was better.

i just did the so called 2.6 upgrade and the problem is still there, im sure that its a software problem with garmin, why they didnt fix it...who knows. Im going to try and return it, any suggestions on one that actually works for about 240 and has the pseudo-compass like the etrex H (the only one that ive had that worked awesome)

i just did the so called 2.6 upgrade and the problem is still there, im sure that its a software problem with garmin, why they didnt fix it...who knows. Im going to try and return it, any suggestions on one that actually works for about 240 and has the pseudo-compass like the etrex H (the only one that ive had that worked awesome)

I think the closest you are going to find, if you want high sensitivity is the 60 Cx which can be bought for less than 260 on pricegrabber.