Well, Having learned a few of the does and donts. I have attempted to

1. Add 7 minutes of stopping for each cache

2. Starting at 630AM instead of 9AM

3. Rerouting the route to make it shorter

and

4. Removed and added a few caches.

So, any and all comments taken into concideration,

Thanks.

Before I forget, Im leaning real hard on Aug 9th for this if enough interest is shown.

Edited by Berta, Nick and Zoey

Draft 2

Well, Having learned a few of the does and donts. I have attempted to

1. Add 7 minutes of stopping for each cache

2. Starting at 630AM instead of 9AM

3. Rerouting the route to make it shorter

and

4. Removed and added a few caches.

So, any and all comments taken into concideration,

Thanks.

Before I forget, Im leaning real hard on Aug 9th for this if enough interest is shown.

I did a quick look see at the route, and I noticed a few problems. I suspect that stops 4,5 and 6 are doable from one parking area although the routing shows three stops. You might want to check out those cache pages to see how to get to the caches. Too long a hike will throw off the timing. I also noticed one cache (sorry I didn't catch the number, but it is fairly early in the route) where the route goes across the river. Any routing program will simply take you to the nearest point on a road to the cache and then direct to the cache. Sometimes that will not work.

I only know this because I have made those same mistakes before.

I would suggest you go through the route cache by cache to make sure it makes sense with the cache description.

I will go through the route again tonight. The only think I had noticed is that you took Stinky's Cache off the list. If you wouldn't mind, I would like to put that on in the noon hour as we were planning on have a BBQ set up for the cachers, hot dogs, hamburgers, etc. Most likely have that going from around 11 - 2pm . Thought Project Fred told ya that :rolleyes:

So, as soon as I figure out how to create an event listing (meaning, heeeeeeeeeeelp) I will get this thing posted.
Mail sent.

I looked over the route, and there's only a few really minor things that I noticed:

• I suspect most people will be out at about stop #72 (Clover Creek Reserve) when it's dinner time, which is quite a ways out. If it were me, I'd lop off the western edge of the route, and go from stop 68 (Phatboyz Weird Gate) to 90 (Reynolds). You can pad it with the 10 or so caches near (and including) GCG8WT, Gateway to Triple F. That's an old one that was pretty creative back in the day.

• The drive between stop 50 (Mr. Fibb) in Bonney Lake and stop 51 (Fisherman's Paradise) near Orting is 10 miles -- that's a long cache-less drive. You might run the route out of Bonney Lake past stop 38 (Skystone) instead, connecting with SR-162 in McMillan.

• There's no caches in Swan Creek Park? There should be, and if there isn't, there's something wrong with cachers in the Tacoma area (/me points at himself)

• I'm glad to see Victor Falls on the route. That's a diamond in the rough.

The drive between stop 50 (Mr. Fibb) in Bonney Lake and stop 51 (Fisherman's Paradise) near Orting has already been rerouted to take out the South Prairie issue. It was mentioned to me yesterday by Landrover. He too had the same idea as you mentioned so I worked to where after Mr Fibb, the route does indeed to go McMillan. I'll see what I can do to lop off some of the more western placed caches to get the hungry people (me too) towards Meridian!

Thanks

Nick

We have the Friday Night Meet and Greet reserved at the Round Table Pizza (72nd and Hosmer in Tacoma) from 7 - 9. The lunch is being worked on right now, we have a location, just making sure we can physically use it from the powers that be :) . I called OCB in Puyallup, they do not have a banquet facility AND it is first come first served. Thinking this might be a problem, does anyone know of a place in Puyallup that has a banquet facility that could work for this? Or does anyone have a big back yard with lots of seating that we could host a BBQ at?? :D

We have the Friday Night Meet and Greet reserved at the Round Table Pizza (72nd and Hosmer in Tacoma) from 7 - 9. The lunch is being worked on right now, we have a location, just making sure we can physically use it from the powers that be :D . I called OCB in Puyallup, they do not have a banquet facility AND it is first come first served. Thinking this might be a problem, does anyone know of a place in Puyallup that has a banquet facility that could work for this? Or does anyone have a big back yard with lots of seating that we could host a BBQ at?? :)

Would the new county park at 14400 Meridian work?

I'm excited to see a cache machine so close to home. Since I've already done nearly all, if not all, of the caches on the route, I'll just listen in on the walkie and attend the dinner.

One cache jumps out at me, though. Victor Falls may be a diamond in the rough, but I would be EXTREMELY concerned about safety. It's not the falls so much as the parking. The only legal parking requires you to cross the road on a blind curve. The safe parking is clearly posted "No Parking." Locals take this road way too fast and you truly take your life into your own hands when you cross. Just my 2 cents.

Ive recieved a few e-mails hoping that Victor Falls Revisted as on the route. Having been there myself, its an awsome cache. Especially in winter when the mist off the falls freezes on all the bushes. I understand the parking issue and agree that it could be better.

If I receive enough opposition to this cache, I will remove it.

As far as the rest of the Machine

All venues have been contacted and we have places to eat.

Next week, I hope to have an Event listing ready to go.

Well, the event page was submitted today for publication. Now it appears as though the rules for where an EVENT can be posted are changing. Now they are telling me that I can only talk about getting together for dinner on the cache listing page.

Im confused. I can publish ONE cache, but I cant publish a route of caches.

Ah yes the great event rule conundrum. My limited understanding is ...

An event can be held to discuss caching but to to go caching. So any cahcing that where to take place before or after the said get together was mearly a remarkable coincadence. So how 50-100 cachers all got the same 50-100 caches on the same caches on the same day. They then met to talk about it at dinner.

DO NO take my understanding as truth. I am likely wrong, but I think this is correct.

Well, the event page was submitted today for publication. Now it appears as though the rules for where an EVENT can be posted are changing. Now they are telling me that I can only talk about getting together for dinner on the cache listing page.

I told you about this early in this discussion.

Just remember, the meal, not the caching is the event.

Good point Andrew. If there is too much about the cache run on the cache page it will delay the publication while you work things out with the reviewer.

Ideally there would be a 'cache landing page' that is hosted offsite similar to the sign-up pages used by Shop99er for their events. Then you can focus the cache page on the dinner event itself and put all the cache run route info on the offsite page.

Here is the relevant section of the cache listing guidelines:

Event Caches

In addition, an event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together cachers for an organized hunt of another cache or caches. Such group hunts are best organized using the forums or an email distribution list.

This is why the focus of the cache page needs to be on the dinner event not the cache run.

I told you about this early in this discussion.

Just remember, the meal, not the caching is the event.

Good point Andrew. If there is too much about the cache run on the cache page it will delay the publication while you work things out with the reviewer.

Ideally there would be a 'cache landing page' that is hosted offsite similar to the sign-up pages used by Shop99er for their events. Then you can focus the cache page on the dinner event itself and put all the cache run route info on the offsite page.

Here is the relevant section of the cache listing guidelines:

Event Caches

In addition, an event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together cachers for an organized hunt of another cache or caches. Such group hunts are best organized using the forums or an email distribution list.

This is why the focus of the cache page needs to be on the dinner event not the cache run.

The cache page that was submited was nearly identical to other cache machine pages including the Missoula Cache Machine that was YESTERDAY. I know that another published event has no bearing on any other event but come on, what's the difference here?

Sumner Cache Machine

Sumner Cache Machine Update:

I removed two caches from the route based on E-Mails I received. In both cases, parking was the issue.

I removed Skystone which was # 17 on the route. I appears as though the parking was very limited.

I also removed Crumbling Stairs Revisited *22 on the route. It was on a very busy road and parking there also was very limited.

Being a first timer at building one of these Cache Machines, I had forgotten to add 7 minutes to some of the stops to allow time for finding the caches. That has been addressed.

So far I have approx 25 poeple signed up. As the date approachs, I may e-mail all who signed up and double check to make sure how many we will have for Dinner at Aversano's so that I can give them a heads-up on what to expect.

Thanks

Nick

Sumner Cache Machine

Sumner Cache Machine Update:

I removed two caches from the route based on E-Mails I received. In both cases, parking was the issue.

I removed Skystone which was # 17 on the route. I appears as though the parking was very limited.

I also removed Crumbling Stairs Revisited *22 on the route. It was on a very busy road and parking there also was very limited.

Being a first timer at building one of these Cache Machines, I had forgotten to add 7 minutes to some of the stops to allow time for finding the caches. That has been addressed.

So far I have approx 25 poeple signed up. As the date approachs, I may e-mail all who signed up and double check to make sure how many we will have for Dinner at Aversano's so that I can give them a heads-up on what to expect.

Thanks

Nick

Hrmm, we're still seeing the June 29th draft on the webpage with no changes.

On the cache page, you wrote, "The Menu will be buffet style, but not an all-you-can-eat type buffet." We tried this in Wenatchee, with bad results. Most restaurateurs have a good feel for how much food an average person eats at a once-through buffet, which works most of the time. After a cache machine event, however, you've got a group of people who have walked several miles, been up since sunrise, and may have skipped lunch. This is a much hungrier than usual group.

You should make sure Aversano's is aware of this, and that they aren't counting on just slightly-above-average appetites.

(Wish I could join you, but this is the weekend of my high-school friends' 18th annual Ocean Shores trip... to Wynoochee Dam this year.)

Travis,

Thanks for the input. When I spoke with the people at Aversano's we had a long discussion as to the appetites of the people who would be in attendance. The way this one will be set up, from my understanding is that there will be tables where the food will be set up and they will continue to fill it, until such time as they figure we are over our budget.

Tha manager told me that they had never had any complaints in the past as far as people not getting enough to eat. She did say however that the area is designed for about 70 people. It is always a tough call to decide just what to do with the after event get together, Im sure. We had scoured the area for a Buffet-style establishment and came up empty handed.

Dont forget, theres a noon-time stop and scarf at Stinky's Cache. If we empty CoreynJoeys pantry, then the hungery's may not be as hungery. (SMILE).

Too bad we live in the part of the country where the weather can turn on a dime. I would have preferrred a get together at a park with BBQ's and stuff like that. It would be cheaper in the long run. But less reliable.

On the cache page, you wrote, "The Menu will be buffet style, but not an all-you-can-eat type buffet." We tried this in Wenatchee, with bad results. Most restaurateurs have a good feel for how much food an average person eats at a once-through buffet, which works most of the time. After a cache machine event, however, you've got a group of people who have walked several miles, been up since sunrise, and may have skipped lunch. This is a much hungrier than usual group.

You should make sure Aversano's is aware of this, and that they aren't counting on just slightly-above-average appetites.

(Wish I could join you, but this is the weekend of my high-school friends' 18th annual Ocean Shores trip... to Wynoochee Dam this year.)

Off topic but Shhhhhhhhhh about the nooch lets keep the nooch a secret :P I will be there this weekend camping.

Sumner Cache Machine

Update to the dining situation at Aversano's for Saturday evening.

I stopped there this weekend and they showed me the banquet area. It will definately hold 70 people.

There has been a change, hopefully for the better.

It IS an all-you-can-eat buffet. BUT, the price is 12.95 for adults and 6.95 for kids.

I had mentioned to the waitress that we had been quoted 10.95 and she mentioned that I could discuss it with the owner, but I decided that the cachers would rather have it all you can eat for 2 dollars more.

Let me know if this will change your plans for the 9th.

I will be posting the Final Route on Monmday evening. Any changes to the route after that time will be available at the Meet and Greet on Friday night at dinner.

If you havent emailed me with your conformation for dinner for Saturday at Aversano's please feel free to let me know. It would help the resturaunt in their planning.

Thanks

Nick

Sumner Cache Machine Final Draft

There has been a few caches added and a few taken off from earlier drafts.

There will also be some notes available Friday night at Roundtable Pizza with details to some of the modifications that may pop up between now and Saturday.

Aversano's called today for verification as to how many to expect for dinner.

I have 70 people who have signed up to run the route and only 34 of them have indicated that they would be joining us for dinner.

SO, I told the hostess to expect anywhere from 40-70 and she was OK with that.

Thanks for your patience with my first attempt at building a cache machine.

Travis, I have a greater appreciation for what you do!!!!

Thanks

Nick

Sumner Cache Machine Final Draft

There has been a few caches added and a few taken off from earlier drafts.

There will also be some notes available Friday night at Roundtable Pizza with details to some of the modifications that may pop up between now and Saturday.

Aversano's called today for verification as to how many to expect for dinner.

I have 70 people who have signed up to run the route and only 34 of them have indicated that they would be joining us for dinner.

SO, I told the hostess to expect anywhere from 40-70 and she was OK with that.

Thanks for your patience with my first attempt at building a cache machine.

Travis, I have a greater appreciation for what you do!!!!

Thanks

Nick

We've updated the book mark to reflect the final route! Currently there are 3 caches on there that are disabled. One of them, Joey's 1/1, will be back up in time for the CM. We'll be checking on the other 2 this week.