Geocaching.com not working

Shilo

I have had off and on problems the last 3 days with the website and keep getting Signal telling me "Sorry! We encountered an error when requesting that page!"

At first I was using hotel internet and thought it was being on the road issues but I'm home now and still the same thing.

Its alot of different pages and not a certain one. I'm using a WIN Vista laptop using the latest Firefox browser.

Anyone else noticing this?

Yes!

I haven't been able to get on for the last 20 minutes or so now. It sucks cause I was in the middle of posting a new hide. I am glad I typed everything in word first to spellcheck it or I would of lost it.

Yes!

I haven't been able to get on for the last 20 minutes or so now. It sucks cause I was in the middle of posting a new hide. I am glad I typed everything in word first to spellcheck it or I would of lost it.

I lost a long PM to another cacher about a cache of their's. I'll type it in Word and save it this time for later when the site is working again.

I am having the same problem on one of my PCs...no pages on gc.com seem to work. I tried my other PC which is VPNed into work and I can access gc.com fine. Very strange. Both my PCs are beside each other and use the same internet connection.

It might be blocking only certain source ips as I am able to log from a different service provider! :laughing:

EDIT: Ok, strike that.. Just like Ace862 (below) I can from any service provider.. but, it's not working from FireFox, but it does from IE! :laughing:

Edited by GrosseFamille

Looks like whatever they did screwed up session cookies, which forced you to an error page (and probably refreshed your "bad" session). Clearing your sessions (in essence, restarting your browser) tends to fix it.

Why they just don't tell the browser to dump invalid session cookies is a question in and of itself, though.

Looks like whatever they did screwed up session cookies, which forced you to an error page (and probably refreshed your "bad" session). Clearing your sessions (in essence, restarting your browser) tends to fix it.

Why they just don't tell the browser to dump invalid session cookies is a question in and of itself, though.

If one is like me, ie. 8 million tabs open on launching Firefox, a few being gc pages, the easiest way to accomplish this is to just delete the geocaching.com cookie (just in case anyone is actually finding a browser restart alone doesn't do the trick)

If one is like me, ie. 8 million tabs open on launching Firefox, a few being gc pages, the easiest way to accomplish this is to just delete the geocaching.com cookie (just in case anyone is actually finding a browser restart alone doesn't do the trick)

Yep... that's me, too! Luckily I also use the Web Developer plug-in, so it's just as easy as clicking "Cookies | Clear Session Cookies" and then all is well, again. Of course, it took until the time I read this thread and noticed people complaining about IE versus Firefox issues. Gah... gotta love it, eh?

Of course, doing that clears all your sessions. So anything else you "log in to" is likely also going to boot you out to a login prompt. Still a much better alternative to restarting the entire browser, IMO.

Edited by russellvt

Of course, doing that clears all your sessions. So anything else you "log in to" is likely also going to boot you out to a login prompt. Still a much better alternative to restarting the entire browser, IMO.

That's why I deleted just the geocaching.com cookie :laughing:

In case anyone comes looking and isn't sure how to, its Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> Show Cookies

Then just find the geocaching.com cookie and you should be good to go.

The trials we must suffer for a superior browser I suppose...

I think you are all just jealous since you don't ever get to learn how to reload your software and learn commands like "format c:\". :laughing:

Well, it's not like I don't have a Windows partition... (he says as he longs for a Linux port of GSAK)

All I can say is that my Windows ME system has been completely stable since the day I turned it off. :laughing:

OT, it seems the issue for folks today was simply doing whatever was needed to properly reload the pages so they updated and didn't present the cached pages. Yes?

OT, it seems the issue for folks today was simply doing whatever was needed to properly reload the pages so they updated and didn't present the cached pages. Yes?

There were some code changes introduced today (icons are back in Google Earth!) so it looks like a new session/cookie needed to be started.

There were some code changes introduced today (icons are back in Google Earth!) so it looks like a new session/cookie needed to be started.

Help me out here. I close close my browser during the day when I am not using it and at the end of the day. Are you saying you don't? I guess I am a bit old fashioned since my brain gets overloaded if I have too many "things" open at once.

Help me out here. I close close my browser during the day when I am not using it and at the end of the day. Are you saying you don't? I guess I am a bit old fashioned since my brain gets overloaded if I have too many "things" open at once.

Even restarting the browser, I had the old cookie. My cookie may not have been removed when restarting the browser because I use a FF extension 'SessionSaver', but I really don't know. It appears that most other FF users simply had to restart the browser to start a new session/create a new cookie.

But, to answer your question regarding closing my browser, no, I typically leave Firefox open unless something catastrophic occurs simply because most of what I use the computer for happens in the browser.

groundspeakgeneralerrorit1.th.gif

The last few months, it seems like there's always been about a 1% chance of getting that page at any unpredictable moment. (It's sort of like walking through a dog park without looking down.)

In my experience, a retry usually works.

What's a bit annoying is that you can't just hit Reload. That only reloads the error page. Instead, you have to go Back, find the link you clicked, and click it again. Or close the error tab, find the original tab, and re-click the link. Just takes a few more moments. The 1% tax.

It's been being very slow for me lately, and I've seen a lot of database timeouts, particularly on the forums.

The forums are on a totally different set of boxes. What time are you seeing the timeouts. Let me know the time zone you are in also please.

It's been being very slow for me lately, and I've seen a lot of database timeouts, particularly on the forums.

The forums are on a totally different set of boxes. What time are you seeing the timeouts. Let me know the time zone you are in also please.

I got the forum errors last night at 2:30-ish am eastern time, 11:30 pm seattle time. (It was the "too many connections" error.)

I do get the occasional signal-the-frog error page on geocaching.com pages, but an immediate retry will almost always work.