Camo an ammo box

softball29

OK, I got some great responses on my question about ammo to a lock and lock, so I figured I'd do it again. I know I've seen some topics on this, but couldn't find any of the good ones when searching. Hopefully someone can point me to them or just give some advice.

I finally picked up some ammo cans and with the weather being nice this weekend, I want to be able to paint them up and get them ready to send out into the world. Any ideas/thoughts/helpful hints on how to paint them up real nice?

I'm going to get another can of the ammo paint for it, but from there, I'd like to try and figure out how to maybe prime the surface, get 'em ready for the paint and how to get 'em a little better than normal.

Thanks for any advice!

They don't have to be painted up nice. Just so they aren't easily seen. Normally I use a forest green texturized spraypaint as a base layer, then do random squirts of brown and black. Once in a while I take an oak leaf and make a pattern.

In caches hidden among rocks I sometimes use a fleckstone paint.

Here is one with the leaf pattern and one with Fleckstone paint

ac6ec50c-5637-46d0-92ca-c55820d952c4.jpg

The one in the front used the oak leaf and the one in the back was just random squirts of colors.

edf83031-10c3-4391-a24b-3d5a3883dbc0.jpg

Edited by briansnat

So no need for a primer or anything? Just spray and roll? I have some of that camo paint, so hoping that will work well. I think I'll look to make a couple of those stencils, too. :laughing:

Np primer needed, unless you have a really rusty can. If there is rust you might want to sand it off and give it a squirt of a primer. The paint the can comes with acts like a primer. In fact sometimes I just keep the original green layer and just squirt some browns and blacks over it (making sure I cover the military markings)

So no need for a primer or anything? Just spray and roll? I have some of that camo paint, so hoping that will work well. I think I'll look to make a couple of those stencils, too. :laughing:

Np primer needed, unless you have a really rusty can. If there is rust you might want to sand it off and give it a squirt of a primer. The paint the can comes with acts like a primer. In fact sometimes I just keep the original green layer and just squirt some browns and blacks over it (making sure I cover the military markings)

You also my want to degrease them. Most I have bought had oil all over them

You also my want to degrease them. Most I have bought had oil all over them

Strange, I've never had one with grease or oil on it and I've purchased well over 100 of them from various sources over the years.

You don't need a stencil. I'm sure you can find a tree or bush around your house you can get some leaves off of. Just lay some leaves on your ammo box and spray around them. For a different pattern just wrap some rope or heavy string around the box and spray some paint on it.

Edited by lacomo

You don't need a stencil. I'm sure you can find a tree or bush around your house you can get some leaves off of. Just lay some leaves on your ammo box and spray around them. For a different pattern just wrap some rope or heavy string around the box and spray some paint on it.

I think the stencil is for the GC.com info. :laughing:

So no need for a primer or anything? Just spray and roll? I have some of that camo paint, so hoping that will work well. I think I'll look to make a couple of those stencils, too. :)

I think the stencil is for the GC.com info. :D

Yep. :)

As for the oil and grease in a response above -- the place I bought them from cleans all of these up before putting them out for sale. He also checks the whole thing to make sure everything works well. Pretty cool, actually.