Evil Caches

BiT

Why is it that if you create a challenging or different cache that is properly rated on terrain and difficulty; it (the cache), you, or both are considered evil?

Not that is bothers me or others but I was just curious as to why this nomenclature is used?

Edited by BiT

Why is it that if you create a challenging or different cache that is properly rated on terrain and difficulty; it (the cache), you, or both are considered evil?

Not that is bothers me or others but I was just curious as to why this nomenclature is used?

I don't think its meant as a negative description... It's like when my kids say, "That's fat".. I don't think they are referring to my horizontal giftedness.

Were you tenting your fingers and chuckling malevolently when placing it?

Are you grinning while your eyebrows are pointed down?

Do you employ henchmen?

Do you have a goatee?

Hey! That's my normal demeanor and appearance.

Evil, sick, twisted, etc. are all in common usage in various sports to mean, "conceived by a master of the art to challenge those of exceptional skill (and torment everyone else.)" There's an athletic coach/author whose followers call him "The Evil Russian." Mountain bikers, skateboarders and climbers congratulate each other on following "sick lines." And so on.

Remember when "baad" meant "good?" Like that.

I think it's meant as a compliment.

Call it "evil," call it "good hide," or whatever. I've looked at so many cache pages that the good ones jump off the page at me. When I publish your caches, I wish I could give them gold stars instead of green lights.

Keep 'em coming.

I think "evil" has become a generic term for caches that are tricky. To me, evil is a micro disguised as a rock in a boulder field.

No. Evil is devious, and a worthy challenge. This is good (for those who enjoy them.) A fake rock in a boulder field is just nasty. It has no redeeming value. That's my distinction: Evil versus nasty.

Wiki in Black. Me in Blue.

Evil is a broad term used to indicate a negative moral or ethical judgment, often used to describe intentional acts that are cruel, unjust, or selfish. Cruel yes, unjust or selfish depends on how long your DNF took.

In many cultures, evil is used to describe acts or thoughts which are contrary to some particular religion. In some religions, evil is an active force, often personified as an entity such as Satan or Ahriman. In Geocaching evil is indeed an active force and occasionally is associated with Satan and other demons.

I use the word to classify a cache as tricky and hard to find.

I used the word in the title of one of my hides, a bison tube drilled into the bottom of a small piece of driftwood and left lying in the woods, to give hunters fair warning that they are not likely to just walk up and find it.

Some folks don't like this kind of hide, so the title Rambler's Evil Micro pretty much tells them to avoid it if they don't like that kind of thing.

Here are some of the 105 found and 25 DNF logs (Very few find it on the first try, more than half have to call me for a hint)

March 27 by earthrooster (1127 found)

Well, ya know, I happen to like these evil buggers. I've cussed a few of them in my time, but I really love it when I find one! As it happens, this one is my 1000th cache! Yay me!! It took me almost 30 minutes, two scratches and a jab, but I got the sucker. I didn't even lose much blood on the way back to my Jeep. Thanks for a great one!

earthrooster - trucker from Alabama

[view this log on a separate page]

March 23 by joefrog (1832 found)

I still remember my attempt at FTF on this $%#&@, on Christmas Eve around midnight, ages ago!

Yep... still cussing you.

March 2 by quizzle consortium (33 found)

found it but had to call the owner for help

I think the reason no one has ever complained is because I tell them up-front that it is an 'evil' hide.

No. Evil is devious, and a worthy challenge. This is good (for those who enjoy them.) A fake rock in a boulder field is just nasty. It has no redeeming value. That's my distinction: Evil versus nasty.

Don't really use the word nasty much, but agree that the boulder example would be nasty. "Mean" is another word that we sometimes use to describe an "evil" cache. Mean, being a compliment.

Sometimes after you find a mean or evil cache, you walk away laughing because it was usually a great search.

I think the reason no one has ever complained is because I tell them up-front that it is an 'evil' hide.

We have a cache that has a similar description. We tell people straight up that if they don't like evil micros to put it on their ignore list. Logs seem to be positive after people find it, though.

Were you tenting your fingers and chuckling malevolently when placing it?

Are you grinning while your eyebrows are pointed down?

Do you employ henchmen?

Do you have a goatee?

That might explain it.

Yes - And while I was watching people have a difficult FTF hunt, and Ottawa's ranking cacher be stumped

Yes - Always

Yes - Pay, No ;)

No - Too Patchy :unsure:

I am new to this. But I intend to be evil where i can and angelic where i can.

The flow of things is up and down

Evil makes us smile and frown

easy is boring, of this im sure

in Evil ive found a marvelous cure

mine will hide in plain sight but never be seen

this might seem Evil, it might even sound mean

but my caches will go to whos sights are keen :unsure:

"Evil" as describing a well-crafted and well-camoed hide is often a compliment. I've found many of them and enjoy the challenge. I may try for ALRambler's cache the next time I travel through Birmingham (I was there a few weeks ago, but I didn't have time for caching).

If finding a cache is more a factor of luck and/or hours of mind-numbing searching, then that surpasses evil and enters into the realm of "stupid". A nano stuck in a hole drilled in the bottom of a rock in a field of other similar-sized rocks is just stupid.

I'll also throw out the opinion that caches hidden in areas of extremely high muggle activity, especially when the muggles are extra vigilant in that area, encroaches on "stupid" as well. Like hiding a nano on playground equipment in a popular park, usually covered in kids and surrounded by parents on high alert against potential pedophiles. Hiding such a cache is extremely simple and takes no real creative thought, but finding it is risky very time-consuming (especially when the police arrive).

Edited by J-Way

I am not sure I would call them evil caches. I prefer thinker caches. The ones that give clues in a hint in a subtle way, but makes the cacher think a bit. Hiding creatively is difficult to do and a good thinker cache takes some time and effort. I like to do the thinker caches, it isn't how far you walk or drive, it is the whole cache experience and were you smart enough to out wit the owner....using unique containers, camoflague, etc....I like them myself. Robert and some of the cachers at his event said I had a devious side to my caches, but they make you think, when you figure out the clue.

I am not sure I would call them evil caches. I prefer thinker caches. The ones that give clues in a hint in a subtle way, but makes the cacher think a bit. Hiding creatively is difficult to do and a good thinker cache takes some time and effort. I like to do the thinker caches, it isn't how far you walk or drive, it is the whole cache experience and were you smart enough to out wit the owner....using unique containers, camoflague, etc....I like them myself. Robert and some of the cachers at his event said I had a devious side to my caches, but they make you think, when you figure out the clue.

(Apologies in advance for necro'ing an old post, but a cache I'm trying to find suggested searching for this thread in the forums, and I had an opinion to volunteer for what seems to be a still-relevant notion.)

Sometimes I like a challenge. Light post hides, while novel when my cache count was below 10, are no-brainers now, and only good for when I need a quick cache find to avoid the dreaded 'long dry spell streak' or when I'm showing someone new the caching hobby. Quality is better than quantity, to me -- I'm not sure whether those '100 caches along a short stretch of trail the minimum distance apart' construes cheating, so I've avoided them so far.

Things that make a cache 'good' for me:

- Ones where the hide makes you use your eyes, or makes you try and think like the cache owner.

- Ones where the theme fits the hide, showing originality.

Things which make a cache 'evil good' for me:

- Ones where when you do use the hint in the right way to figure it out, it makes perfect sense.

- Ones with camo so good that you only find it when you touch the thing and it moves if it's magnetic, or when you suddenly realize that the paintjob is just slightly off from stuff around it.

- Ones that involve creative puzzle solving -- one of my recent favorites involved having to go to the Web to do some research to do it right, but also could be solved by brute force.

Things which makes a cache 'evil bad' for me:

- Ones where you would never find it without serious extra help or blind luck -- such as being stuffed inside a gumball machine container that's buried under leaves because it was left in a planter area.

- Ones where your GPS bounce is so erratic that you're within 78 feet of GZ when your coordinates zero out and stop working, and you're looking for an unknown micro size cache.

- Ones where you're literally searching the forest for the trees, with no idea whether you're looking at the right tree, bush, or rock, because there are so many of them with so many leaves -- and the container is a camo bison.

Now, being still somewhat new to caching, I didn't know that when someone says their cache is "evil", they -mean it-. :D I take the challenges as they come, because I'm always big on looking until I find it as long as I can keep coming back, and I never ask for help until I feel I've done due diligence and scoured the area -hard- just in case the cache has been muggled. I'm still a lot shy about meeting fellow cachers, but maybe I'll get over it someday soon. In the mean time, I've certainly found a few 'good', 'evil good', and 'evil bad' caches so far...

Learned something new today: 'avoid the evil unless I want to be out there until sunset!'

-Tielyn

Edited by tielyn

Muhahahahaha :-) I intentionally placed an 'evil' cache recently. I want people to get wet, get covered in mud, and have a little more fun finding my cache - something a little different to magnetic nanos and clip-locks under a bush (of course, those are good too !)

It's a fairly easy wee multi, except to get the 2nd clue you MAY need to wade through a 3 feet deep, rocky, algae covered pond. At GZ, you will need to crawl on your belly though a 2ft high/wide tunnel to retrieve the cache. The tunnel is underneath a wall whcih was once part of a castle or something... and is effectively just a drainage ditch now - it's muddy, there's BUGS, and if it's been raining it'll be wet - and given that it's in Scotland, that's a distinct possiblity !

Is this evil ? Quite possibly :anibad:

I think "evil" has become a generic term for caches that are tricky. To me, evil is a micro disguised as a rock in a boulder field.

In my book, an evil hide is challenging and tricky--but fair. You may have touched the cache several times, not realizing what it was, or you may have looked right at it. The coords are perfect; it's just a very devious hide. When you find it, there may or not be a face-palm moment, but there's definitely a WOW! moment. You feel a sense of accomplishment and want to tell everyone but can't for fear of spoiling their fun. An evil hide is good!

Some COs describe their own hides as evil, but sometimes they're wrong; their hides are just bad. Bad hides include caches with bad coordinates (intentional or not) and needle-in-a-haystack hides--how much effort or cleverness does it take to poke a fake sprig of grass into a field of grass? When you find it, you feel (and may even log) that you're glad that cache is off your map. A bad hide is just bad.

Just my two cents...

Edited by GrievousAngel

In my book, an evil hide is challenging and tricky--but fair. You may have touched the cache several times, not realizing what it was, or you may have looked right at it. The coords are perfect; it's just a very devious hide. When you find it, there may or not be a face-palm moment, but there's definitely a WOW! moment. You feel a sense of accomplishment and want to tell everyone but can't for fear of spoiling their fun. An evil hide is good!

Some COs describe their own hides as evil, but they're wrong; their hides are just bad. Bad hides include caches with bad coordinates (intentional or not) and needle-in-a-haystack hides--how much effort or cleverness does it take to poke a fake sprig of grass into a field of grass? When you find it, you feel (and may even log) that you're glad that cache is off your map. A bad hide is just bad.

Just my two cents...

I agree wholeheartedly. An evil cache is not a nasty cache. Rock pile hides, micros in spruce trees, etc are difficult, but they take no thought to hide and no thought to find. Finding an "evil" cache makes you feel good about yourself.

Some COs describe their own hides as evil, but they're wrong; their hides are just bad. Bad hides include caches with bad coordinates (intentional or not) and needle-in-a-haystack hides--how much effort or cleverness does it take to poke a fake sprig of grass into a field of grass? When you find it, you feel (and may even log) that you're glad that cache is off your map. A bad hide is just bad.

Just my two cents...

I agree wholeheartedly. An evil cache is not a nasty cache. Rock pile hides, micros in spruce trees, etc are difficult, but they take no thought to hide and no thought to find. Finding an "evil" cache makes you feel good about yourself.

+1

An evil cache is clever and fun!! :grin:

Some COs describe their own hides as evil, but sometimes they're wrong; their hides are just bad. Bad hides include caches with bad coordinates (intentional or not) and needle-in-a-haystack hides--how much effort or cleverness does it take to poke a fake sprig of grass into a field of grass? When you find it, you feel (and may even log) that you're glad that cache is off your map. A bad hide is just bad.

That's similar to the distinction I've heard around here, except what you call "bad", we call "bad evil", and what you call "evil", we call "good evil".

To me, a needle-in-a-haystack hide is "bad evil". In contrast, a "good evil" hide has no haystack. After 10 minutes, you've searched "everywhere it could possibly be". Then you have to figure out how and where the CO really hid it.

But caches with bad coordinates aren't even "bad evil". They're just bad.

I used the word in the title of one of my hides, a bison tube drilled into the bottom of a small piece of driftwood and left lying in the woods, to give hunters fair warning that they are not likely to just walk up and find it.

Some folks don't like this kind of hide, so the title Rambler's Evil Micro pretty much tells them to avoid it if they don't like that kind of thing.

Here are some of the 105 found and 25 DNF logs (Very few find it on the first try, more than half have to call me for a hint)

March 27 by earthrooster (1127 found)

Well, ya know, I happen to like these evil buggers. I've cussed a few of them in my time, but I really love it when I find one! As it happens, this one is my 1000th cache! Yay me!! It took me almost 30 minutes, two scratches and a jab, but I got the sucker. I didn't even lose much blood on the way back to my Jeep. Thanks for a great one!

earthrooster - trucker from Alabama

March 23 by joefrog (1832 found)

I still remember my attempt at FTF on this $%#&@, on Christmas Eve around midnight, ages ago!

Yep... still cussing you.

March 2 by quizzle consortium (33 found)

found it but had to call the owner for help

When I go back to ALA later this year to collect all my stuff I will put this one on my list of must grabs !!

Muhahahahaha :-) I intentionally placed an 'evil' cache recently. I want people to get wet, get covered in mud, and have a little more fun finding my cache - something a little different to magnetic nanos and clip-locks under a bush (of course, those are good too !)

It's a fairly easy wee multi, except to get the 2nd clue you MAY need to wade through a 3 feet deep, rocky, algae covered pond. At GZ, you will need to crawl on your belly though a 2ft high/wide tunnel to retrieve the cache. The tunnel is underneath a wall whcih was once part of a castle or something... and is effectively just a drainage ditch now - it's muddy, there's BUGS, and if it's been raining it'll be wet - and given that it's in Scotland, that's a distinct possiblity !

That sounds like FUN :)

That is what all caches should be about.

See, if you told me up front that you had to bring wading boots, a caving helmet, and a flashlight, I'd be all for taking on your evil hide (...the next time I'm in Scotland, anyway.) I believe that being prepared to fight The Evil is what puts the 'fun' back into 'bad evil' hides -- you're ready to be challenged, rather than showing up at a 18' high hide without a grabber (I mean, really, who carries a stepladder as part of their geocaching kit?), or attempting to find a black blinker tucked away inside a hollow object at night. This prompts finders to leave cryptic notes saying, 'I was unprepared for this hide..." and that kinda note gives me pause. If the description seems to indicate what's involved, I'll give it a visit anyway on a sweep just to get the lay of the land -- you never know from the description what you're in for until you arrive on the spot (like the hide where GZ appeared to be underwater from recent flooding).

A little story, if I may:

How to hook your long distance relationship on your weird hobby while saving money on vacation: Go after 'good evil' puzzle hides.

Case example was a set of themed hides in Texas -- the Flying Monkeys. The CO wrote in the description that you were going to be hiking a trail, and the puzzle hide of the bunch was a night hide with a 'voting box' at the end. There were five normal hides and four names -- and having completed a 'series puzzle cache' where each cache contained a code, I figured that the only way Tela and I were going to find it was to find all five of the monkeys. Each normal hide was a carbon copy of the others, and had the simple hint: 'Just hanging around.' GZ proved to be a -very- big tree. The problem was, we arrived at sunset, and while we were bushwhacking to ground zero, not only did the sun set, but the lights of the nearby ballfield went out. We looked around the tree with my itty bitty flashlight for a bit, got stuck several times, and finally called it quits after an hour and a half of searching for some of the others in pitch blackness in the hopes that they would be smaller trees or something.

The next day I remapped out each of the normals and discovered one wasn't actually on the trail -- and was posted after the puzzle hide -- a red herring? We hit that one first, and I was able to show Tela her first bison tube -- (she was the one that found the fishing line attached to what looked like a tag to her). Now that we knew what color camo tape the CO was using, we were MUCH better prepared to go back after the other normals.

...and they were still pains in the tail to turn up, because the GZ coordinates kept bouncing even with a backup GPS to triangulate with. It took some trail reading, geocaching sense, and in one case, pure blind luck for us to find them all, and as night fell on a five hour search day, we noticed that my flashlight wasn't going to cut it for a night hunt. So we hit the local grocery store, picked up a much better flashlight, and went back the next night to do the night cache. The CO had taken the time to write out how to follow the trail in the clear, and we trooped into the pitch black woods with only a flashlight and the stars to guide our way, and at the end of it was a cache you had to find in the dark with only a flashlight. Granted, it was a pretty big cache container, but it was also heavily camo'd with only the hint 'it's okay to go off the trail here'. And once you found it, you had to have the right vote code handy.

...and we got briefly lost trying to get out, because we'd gotten ourselves turned around, and I realized that backtracking to the cache location and then walking backwards to reverse orienteer by the stars was the best way to escape.

Most favorite cache series to date, despite the hundred degree heat, humidity, gashes from stickers, and needing to buy a flashlight upgrade, because the CO put a lot of work into designing a theme, hiding the caches, and giving you -just- enough to do the deed as long as you were willing to do the work to get the hides.

The girlfriend and I had had a lot of other activities planned on our vacation -- museums, spelunking, movies, that sort of thing -- but we wound up geocaching most of the week instead. "It really is that fun." she told her friends when she got home. Now she's trying to hook them on it.

Maybe a better definition of 'evil bad' versus 'evil good' might be 'evil good makes you work for it, and is that much more satisfying when you get it', and 'evil bad is simply impossible to even begin to try and find it without direct assistance above and beyond the hint (or lack thereof) or blind luck'.

-Tielyn

See, if you told me up front that you had to bring wading boots, a caving helmet, and a flashlight, I'd be all for taking on your evil hide (...the next time I'm in Scotland, anyway.) I believe that being prepared to fight The Evil is what puts the 'fun' back into 'bad evil' hides -- you're ready to be challenged, rather than showing up at a 18' high hide without a grabber (I mean, really, who carries a stepladder as part of their geocaching kit?), or attempting to find a black blinker tucked away inside a hollow object at night. This prompts finders to leave cryptic notes saying, 'I was unprepared for this hide..." and that kinda note gives me pause. If the description seems to indicate what's involved, I'll give it a visit anyway on a sweep just to get the lay of the land -- you never know from the description what you're in for until you arrive on the spot (like the hide where GZ appeared to be underwater from recent flooding).

<snip>

I did, the Attributes tell you to bring a flashlight and that it may require wading :-)

Although on the description it says: "Congratulations, you've done the sums and arrived at GZ. At this point, the title should make sense... now it's up to you - Do you want to get wet and mucky, or is it time for some creative thinking ?"

And also: "Depending on the day/time you attempt this, it may also require a return visit (unless you fancy getting wet)."

Perhaps having to 'revisit' with the correct 'equipment' - or more appropriate clothing to make the grab, adds to the fun ? I dunno, I did give fair warning though :anitongue:

Only recently published so we will need to wait and see how popular it is, and how mucky the stories get :lol:

Edited by cjdl

It's good evil, it ain't bad.

We have an older hider and his caches are always called evil. They're ingenious and well crafted! I have found some and given up on some. They're fun if I'm in the mood and make me feel silly when I can'tfind them!

I tend to stay away from evil hides because they frustrate me! There should be an evil attribute. Lol.

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

I actually like these. Tedious and methodological search is relaxing!

Bumping this thread because of recent developments on a cache that I have been watching for some time now, and it just so happens to be the OP's cache.

The cache is SOABWTFITGDC (I think I spelled it right, anyway). I have had a watch on it because it has had only 1 find it its 5 or so years since publication. Since that makes it an "Evil" cache, I think its interesting that the cache owner also started this thread!

By the way, Keystone, who published this cache, has a posting in the thread that, if I read it correctly, is praising the OP/Cache Owner as being someone that publishes quality hides, so I have problems believing that this is a bogus cache, as some may assume.

define EVIL ??

you are evil, when you on purpose do something to harm or hurt or ignore other people.

you are cool, when you show them nice locations, with a greatly made cache, that is made so it can be found

by people with the right skils or tools.