60CSx Owners... Let's Hope

a bit of information I thought I would pass on... I posed the following question to Garmin last week:

"will the 60csx display the shaded relief topo maps like the Colorado series with the new Topo 2008 maps or is this feature only available on the Colorado series units? Can the shortfalls of the Colorado 400t for backpacking/hiking (versus the 60csx) be corrected in the future with firmware updates?"

their reply:

"Thank you for contacting Garmin International.

I will be happy to answer your questions. The 60CSx does not show shaded relief like the Colorado units. We are working on making a few changes to the unit based on customer requests. There will be updates to the unit sometime in the near future. "

a bit of information I thought I would pass on... I posed the following question to Garmin last week:

"will the 60csx display the shaded relief topo maps like the Colorado series with the new Topo 2008 maps or is this feature only available on the Colorado series units? Can the shortfalls of the Colorado 400t for backpacking/hiking (versus the 60csx) be corrected in the future with firmware updates?"

their reply:

"Thank you for contacting Garmin International.

I will be happy to answer your questions. The 60CSx does not show shaded relief like the Colorado units. We are working on making a few changes to the unit based on customer requests. There will be updates to the unit sometime in the near future. "

You asked two questions, and you got two answers. The "updates to the unit" refers to the Colorado, in answer to your second question. Why would Garmin add features to the 60csx now?

Still, Colorado users take heart - expect "a few changes ... sometime in the near future"!

Edited by bmirak

how did I miss that... got all excited over the wrong GPSr... I really wanted that 400t for my first gps unit, love the display qualities of the thing, but since my only use is for backpacking, I thought the 60CSx was better suited for my needs... maybe by the time I'm ready for a new GPSr they'll have that 400t better suited for backcountry expeditions... now, to get some time in on this thing before the backpacking trip to make sure I know how to use it properly...

how did I miss that... got all excited over the wrong GPSr... I really wanted that 400t for my first gps unit, love the display qualities of the thing, but since my only use is for backpacking, I thought the 60CSx was better suited for my needs... maybe by the time I'm ready for a new GPSr they'll have that 400t better suited for backcountry expeditions... now, to get some time in on this thing before the backpacking trip to make sure I know how to use it properly...

I am in the same boat. I'm going to wait a few more weeks to see if Garmin releases a new firmware update for the CO. Unless there is substantial improvement in performance and features in the next update, I'll be getting the 60csx.

Because 2.51 was a beta release, I suspect that the next firmware is not going to be earth shattering. It will probably be more focused on correcting performance issues (clock speed, accuracy) rather than adding new features.

I almost bought a Colorado when they first came out...boy, am I glad I didn't. I'm keeping my 60Csx until I start to see some good reviews about the Colorados.

What might happen is that Garmin may have to use a new release / chipset to get all the features and modifications to work...like a revision B....or a Colorado 500.

I'll just wait and see.

I sincerely hope they never change the maps for the 60 CSx to the "shaded relief maps" I've seen for the Colorado. I find them cartoonish and would not find them helpful to me, as a visual learner.

Naturally, I'd have no objection to other folks --who do like that style-- having the option to get that style map. As long as I could still get the kind I prefer, too.

Edited by Neos2