Buying a Geocoin and getting delivered by geocache

fidjit

Just had a thought while reading through the geocoin threads.

Has anybody done this before ?? ( Sorry I'm a bit of a newbie at this )

I'd like to buy a geocoin from overseas ( not in Australia ) and have it delivered via Geocaching. So seller gives me the tracking number and I log, the seller puts it in a cache and (hopefully ) eventually it gets to me in one of my caches here in Tasmania Australia ??

Saves me on shipping fees which can prohibitive :D

Done before ??

Good idea ???

Anyone wanna help :D

Edited by fidjit

Hi!

Yes, some people do this. I have also thought of something similar.

Always depends on the seller, of course. He has to be willing to prepare the coin and release it.

But you always have to be aware of the risk of the coin being lost on the trip. So in the end it's your decision!

You'll need a lot of patience too! There was a mission set up a few months ago where the coins traded were released locally and then adopted out to the recipients. I released mine in Nova Scotia, Canada destined for Missouri, USA. Instead, it has gone across the continent and is now in British Columbia... about 3 times further away from its destination than when it started!

On the other extreme, the coin released in Arizona and making its way towards me has been sitting in someone's backpack (my guess) for two months!

You'll need a lot of patience too!

As they say, it's not the destination, but the journey. After further reading wondering if a travel bug might be a better option. Cheaper outlay and less "collectable" ;D If I can find somebody who is willing to help, might assist to have a tag added to the bug or coin saying " Destination Tasmania Australia GCXXXX". Would love to put on the trackable description where it's going and perhaps have people take a picture of it with them near a prominent landmark for their area............

Anybody out there willing to help ?????

Edited by fidjit

Several people I have traded geocoins with or I have gifted geocoins too have asked me send them the tracking and activation numbers so that they could activate the coins, and then asked me to drop them into local caches. I think it is a great idea.

I'd like to buy a geocoin from overseas ( not in Australia ) and have it delivered via Geocaching. So seller gives me the tracking number and I log, the seller puts it in a cache and (hopefully ) eventually it gets to me in one of my caches here in Tasmania Australia ??

If you don't want a coin in mint condition it's a great idea or even if you're okay with not getting it at all. But then I understand that postal services aren't too reliable when it comes to delivering to Tasmania, getting it confused with Tanzania!! :laughing::laughing:

Bear in mind that in many places (I can only speak from my own experience) mission statements don't mean a whole lot. A friend I introduced to caching a few years ago released 4 TBs in Spokane, WA. with the goal to get to me in SoCal.: 3 made it, 1 didn't. Quickest time was 2 months, slowest of the 3 took about 2 years.

. But then I understand that postal services aren't too reliable when it comes to delivering to Tasmania, getting it confused with Tanzania!! :laughing::laughing:

or Transylvania :D

I've had a couple of offers for help from members. I'm about to contact them to see what we can organise .

Thanks for all the help all :)

I have a couple that I bought from a cacher in Germany, and had them released there. It's a good way to get travelers started somewhere far away, as long as you don't have much of an expectation of ever actually getting the coin into your hands. One has moved a lot (but not very far) and has hit 3 events in the last 2 weeks in Hannover. The other went to a big event in Denmark recently.

On the other extreme, the coin released in Arizona and making its way towards me has been sitting in someone's backpack (my guess) for two months!

I just checked and noticed yesterday, Chuck. I wish I knew who they were. Have you tried emailing them?

I got notice this week that my coin from that mission was in a cache in Sweden at the time it got muggled, so it's probably gone. :laughing: