Garmin eTrex Legend Install Help

Bat-Bubba

I just purchased a new laptop (with Windows Vista Home Edition) and I'm trying to connect my Garmin eTrex Legend so I can upload caches from GSAK and use it with nRoute. I'm using a serial to USB converter, I did install the driver that came with it. I also went to the Garmin website and downloaded the latest drivers and updates.

The laptop still tries to figure out what to do with the GPSr when I plug it into the USB port. I can't even figure out what number each USB port is so I can tell GSAK. When I go to the Device Manager, it lists the GPSr as "Other Devices," "USB Serial Controller." I have 3 USB connections and they each show Port_#0001.Hub_#0004 - Port_#0001.Hub_#0005 & Port_#0001.Hub_#0006 when the device is plugged into them.

Please help.

I just purchased a new laptop (with Windows Vista Home Edition) and I'm trying to connect my Garmin eTrex Legend so I can upload caches from GSAK and use it with nRoute. I'm using a serial to USB converter, I did install the driver that came with it. I also went to the Garmin website and downloaded the latest drivers and updates.

The laptop still tries to figure out what to do with the GPSr when I plug it into the USB port. I can't even figure out what number each USB port is so I can tell GSAK. When I go to the Device Manager, it lists the GPSr as "Other Devices," "USB Serial Controller." I have 3 USB connections and they each show Port_#0001.Hub_#0004 - Port_#0001.Hub_#0005 & Port_#0001.Hub_#0006 when the device is plugged into them.

Please help.

It's going to show up as a COM port, not a USB port.

Mine's COM4, your's may be different. Look in Device Manager at the COM ports.

Please help.

It's going to show up as a COM port, not a USB port.

Mine's COM4, your's may be different. Look in Device Manager at the COM ports.

bingo!!!

Look for a port labeled something between com1 and com8 - usuall between 1 and 4. If you have a modem card in your PC it may occupy one of those already and the adapter will be on another. Updating the sofgtware is always a good idea on those devices.

Sadly, my experience is that you cannot always get those adaptors to workl on all PCs - may have try different brand.

Please keep me updated here... as I also have the same GPS and I just purchased a laptop as I am away from home for a few months. Of course my new laptop does not have a serial port... so I was about to head down the same road with a serial/USB converter. Please let me know what works!

TKS!

I have a Legend and use a USB to serial adapter as well.

I have found several little things that are buggy or something.

I use a USB mouse as well, sometimes the GPS will make mouse go crazy, I have to unplug serial adapter and wait a few seconds and try it again and usally will use different resources and no more interference.

Next thing, the GPS may be on a different com port each time you try it.

Next, serial to USB adapter doesn't work through a USB hub, most times anyway.

Also you may need to change the GPS output to NEMA and not "garmin" format.

I went out today and purchased the adaptor from Source ($29.99) and my laptop searched automatically online for the drivers and installed them (I did not have to use the install disk that came with the adaptor). Now everything appears to be running smartly!

Now another question popped up today, is there any free map software that I can download my track and view on a map layout?

TKS

Thank you to all that replied, unfortunately the issue is WINDOWS VISTA. Yes, I now join the thousands that hate it with a passion. Microsoft works hard to work against us. All about the buck, right?

Anyway, here is the fix to the problem for all those that experience the same issue.

Windows Vista & Garmin eTrex Legend

How to get Win Vista to work with a Garmin Legend GPSr using a serial/usb cable converter.

1) DO NOT PLUG THE CABLE INTO THE USB PORT UNTIL THE PROPER STEP.

2) Go to Start-> Help and Support, and in the search help box type "compatibility wizard."

3) Select "Start the program compatibility wizard."

4) Select "Click to open the Program Compatibility Wizard."

5) At the welcome screen click "Next."

6) Insert the CD/DVD that came with the cable, but do NOT plug cable into the computer yet.

7) Shut down any autorun option that opens, should you see it.

8) Ignore any Explorer windows referring to the Radioshack USB Serial Driver, and close them.

9) Get back to the Compatibility Wizard.

10) Select "I want to locate the program manually" and click "NEXT."

11) Click Browse and navigate to the drive containing the Radioshack driver CD/DVD.

12) Select the program on the CD/DVD, click "Next."

13) Select a compatibility mode for the program.

I had it running previously on Windows XP SP2, so I selected that.

14) Just click "Next" thru the Vista dire warnings and Vista will install the driver correctly.

15) Restart your computer when advised.

16) NOW, Plug in the USB cable with attached device --Vista will detect the USB device, complete the driver installation, and your device should now work.

Notes: I use GSAK & nRoute so I had to change the "GPS Settings" to the appropriate COM port.

Also, if you previously installed the software, just hit the "Reinstall" button when prompted during the above instruction.

Bat-Bubba

Anyway, here is the fix to the problem for all those that experience the same issue.

Windows Vista & Garmin eTrex Legend

How to get Win Vista to work with a Garmin Legend GPSr using a serial/usb cable converter.

Weird, because I did the exact opposite... I have a new Toshiba laptop with VISTA and I just plugged in everything as I was eager to get started. Windows searched and self installed everything and I did not even insert the CD that came with the cord from Source / Radio shack. Everything is now working very best!

VISTA is great!

(except when playing STARCRAFT as the older networking is no longer supported with the new windows)

Windows searched and self installed everything and I did not even insert the CD that came with the cord from Source / Radio shack. Everything is now working very best!

VISTA is great!

(except when playing STARCRAFT as the older networking is no longer supported with the new windows)

Radio shack sells several different cords. Maybe you got lucky and chose the non problematic cord as Vista also tried to auto install on mine, but nothing. If Vista doesn't suck and didn't have a lot of issues, then why did they add the Compatibility Wizard? Vista still has a long way to go before I give it an okay.