Caching with Dogs

Team Catahoula

If you like the woods in NJ and bring your dog, it is really hard to avoid. Bailey has had the vaccine, takes Frontline and wears a tick repellant collar and was just diagnosed again with both lymes disease and the disease you mention. With her big black coat it is nearly impossible to see them. If fact, not that long ago, we came home from a hike and she laid at the feet of my wife and daughter. When she stood up there must have been 30 ticks on the floor (talk about freaking out the wife and kids - I've never seen so many people up on the back of a couch). Anyway, this is about the fourth time for her.

:) wow how shocking! I had a feeling the weather patterns everyone has been observing with allot of rain, it is going to be a major bug infested season! ----

I don't know if Frontline Plus offers a 100% Guarantee and or if you can prove and charge them responsible for vet bills.. although I would think no product can be 100% effective, if it was, would be awfully harmful to a dog's body organs, if it were that potent. ----

I often wished they had a Frontline for Humans... I have pulled a few ticks from myself as well. All you can do is a thorough check after each outing. Maybe a very fine thin fleacomb may help to spot those ticks in thick fur? ---

That is so sad... I am sorry :) to hear. But our 4 legged buddies want to go out with us, and we feel more secure and they could get ticks by just going out in the yard to potty. ----

My Geo-Nose Dog Marvin, Loves outdoors, he's hard to get to come in. I posted a bunch of geocaching photos, from a dog's point of view, in my Gallery. ...! ----

but yeh, I would definitely check the Frontline website for your "rights" as a user and you might be able to get your Vet to back you up as a responsible pet owner, who does faithfully use the product. I know, it may not bring your dog's health back, but could help ease the Vet Bills $$.----

they're not just Pets..they're Family!

We use Revolution. It does kill almost all of the ticks. It's my understanding that the tick must be in the skin for more then 24 hrs to pass Lyme. With Anaplasmosis, all the infected tick has to do is bite to pass the disease. We just found out from the Vet, that Capt Harleys CBC test came back ok. So the Anaplasmois was caught in the very early stage. Everything should be ok with 10 days of antibiotics. We just can't keep the Capt. out of the woods. He lives for it.

If you like the woods in NJ and bring your dog, it is really hard to avoid. Bailey has had the vaccine, takes Frontline and wears a tick repellant collar and was just diagnosed again with both lymes disease and the disease you mention. With her big black coat it is nearly impossible to see them. If fact, not that long ago, we came home from a hike and she laid at the feet of my wife and daughter. When she stood up there must have been 30 ticks on the floor (talk about freaking out the wife and kids - I've never seen so many people up on the back of a couch). Anyway, this is about the fourth time for her.

It is my understanding that when you use FrontLine you should not use a flea or tick collar because it can absorb the FrontLine weakening it effectiveness. I work for a vet and this is what we advise our clients.

Nothing is 100% (not even birthcontrol) The annoplasmosis thing is what has been being diagnosed as Lyme for awhile. Treatment is pretty easy. Is your dog protected against leptosirosis? It is spread through the urine of wildlife and if your dog is caching with you he/she is being exposed. It effects the liver and kidneys and is usually not diagnosed till it is too late. There is a shot for it, but once again NOTHING is 100%. It is the risk you take with life.

It is my understanding that when you use FrontLine you should not use a flea or tick collar because it can absorb the FrontLine weakening it effectiveness. I work for a vet and this is what we advise our clients.

Interesting. I'll have to follow up on that. How does it absorb it - through the skin?

"Interesting. I'll have to follow up on that. How does it absorb it - through the skin?"

FrontLine spreads over the dog's body and is stored in the sebaceous glands. The collar reportedly has a wickng effect and absorbs the liquid. This is according to info given by the company rep at a seminar we attended when FrontLine first became available. I think there is an 800 # on the packaging that you could call for up to date info. We now dispense Vectra 3D which in addition to killing fleas and ticks repells fleas, ticks and mosquitos.

Ladies,

THis is a good reason to let your leg hair grow. I usually feel the little buggers tickling my leg hairs on the way up! All kidding aside, anyone who ventures into the woods of fields of NJ should a) protect themselves (a good DEET containing bug spray, and LONG pants), :unsure: ensure you dogs are using a preventative and c) you and your dog include lymes and other tick borne illness testing as part of your annual health check-up.

Unfortuanetly ticks in NJ are like Mom and apple pie (at least my Mom), except the pie does taste better and you need fewer apples for the meal.