First cache ever placed

It was a can of beans under a bush in WA there is now a plaque there and I don't recall who but someone does have the original can of beans I believe that they take to big events.

I don't recall the name of it just remember the ceremony for it a few yrs back.

Team 360 has the original can of bean. Although it's actually a can of blackeye peas. He even put it up on ebay a couple of years ago, but no one met his asking price. Also there was alot more in the original cache than just a can of peas.

El Diablo

Edited by El Diablo

Just for fun.....does anyone know what the first ever cache was called and is it still active?

It is acually in Oregon and there is a plaque to comemmorate it at ORIGINAL STASH TRIBUTE PLAQUE GCGV0P. It is considered Geocaching Holy Ground :D

c979552f-95b2-4a8c-9847-a481f9827d87.jpg

Edited by burgessfour

Well it was more than just a can of beans. Somebody asks this question every couple weeks. If you go to the getting started page of geocaching.com you can read about the history of how it all got started.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/history.aspx

The cache is gone and all that remains is the original can of beans, which has become a travel bug of sorts. A marker has been placed in the original location. If you google original cache, or original can of beans you can find info about it.

http://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=3121

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...=y&decrypt=

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=83154

What I want to know is "What was the first cache placed after there was this 'thing' called geocaching?" or something like that...

I mean, I know there were several caches already in play when the forums were created (if I recall the story right). And the caches weren't even called 'caches' then either, were they?

So... once there was a database in place and a way to look them up, which cache was the first "new" Geocache? Is it still around? Anyone know or do I have to go hunting through lots of old lists and reading old articles again?

What I want to know is "What was the first cache placed after there was this 'thing' called geocaching?" or something like that...

I mean, I know there were several caches already in play when the forums were created (if I recall the story right). And the caches weren't even called 'caches' then either, were they?

So... once there was a database in place and a way to look them up, which cache was the first "new" Geocache? Is it still around? Anyone know or do I have to go hunting through lots of old lists and reading old articles again?

Do you mean:

- The first cache created after Ulmer's (the second cache)? This is known, but not by me.

- The first cache created after Teague started listing all published caches on his personal home page (technically, this was the first "database")? I doubt this is known because he gathered info from lots of places.

- The first cache created after Irish started the Geocaching.com database? You'd probably have to ask Jeremy that one. But look for a cache published as soon after September 2, 2000, as possible. It would be the 76th cache ever published.

It was a can of beans under a bush in WA there is now a plaque there and I don't recall who but someone does have the original can of beans I believe that they take to big events.

I don't recall the name of it just remember the ceremony for it a few yrs back.

Team 360 has the original can of bean. Although it's actually a can of blackeye peas. He even put it up on ebay a couple of years ago, but no one met his asking price. Also there was alot more in the original cache than just a can of peas.

El Diablo

The can is stamped: JH0924 08_ _ B044A. I have several photos but did not know how to submit them.

I'm not really following this, to be honest. :)

The game was invented May 3rd, 2000 by Dave Ulmer, and announced to the world in a usenet newsgroup I suppose you could call that a forum.

It was not called geocaching, but that term was "invented" by Matt Stum, May 30th 2000 in a usenet post months before geocaching.com existed.

The first "database" was created May 8th, 2000 by the guy who was the FTF of the first ever cache, Mike Teague. It was a rather basic "teach yourself html in 15 minutes" type of website, on his personal webspace from his ISP here is an archived snapshot and most of the links still work. At least they did last time I checked. :)

Then on September 2, 2000, Geocaching.com went online, and Teague announced in a usenet post that it would be taking over the database from his website.

All this from the history of geocaching, as posted on the website gpsgames.org

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel