Colorado 300 Sd Card

I have the top and the NA street map on the core unit. there is lots of room for what I need, which is half of southern Ontario.

if you want to dump the whole thing onto the device, you will likely need to use the SD

So I've just bought a Colorado 300 and the Topo Canada. Would it make sense to load my Topo onto an Sd Card or to the GPS directly. I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to computer stuff but I know a bit to get by.

The 300 has about 380MB of free memory, I wouldn't suggest putting more than say 300MB of map data in internal memory to leave room for geocaches, waypoints, tracklogs, Wherigo carts, etc that you will probably want to store there.

To figure out how much of Topo Canada you can put on the Colorado you'll need to go into Mapsource and use the Map tool to select the area you want to load. If you have the Maps tab selected on the lower left side of the window Mapsource will tell you the size of the maps you've selected. See what fits into 300MB, if that is too small of an area then select all of the maps to see how much storage you would need on an SD card to store all of the maps on your Colorado.

GO$Rs

What size SD card would I need to put all of the Canada maps on.

You can't.... There are 7285 tiles and 3.8 GB. The number of tiles is too large.

You do realize Canadian topo maps are available free? http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/

I don't understand what you mean by "Tiles" please explain. It seems to me I should be able to use a 4 GB SD card.

No I didn't realize there was free Canadian topo maps online. I was given the Garmin topo for free from a friend so luckily no $ spent. I will be checking out the Ibycus sight next. Thanx!

The MapSource maps are broken down into “Tiles” or map segments. You select the “Tiles” in MapSource that you want to send to your GPS. The Colorado can only display about 4000 map tiles and it looks like all Canada Topo is 7285 tiles or segments. Therefore you could only display about 55% of Canada Topo maps on your Colorado because of this limitation.

What is the maximum Gb of SD card for Colorado 300?

SD 133x speed will work?

Founded.

G13.) What is the largest SD card that the Colorado will support?

Garmin claims support for a maximum of 4GB SD cards in the Colorado, but 8GB SDHC cards have been verified to work in the Colorado.

:huh:

Edited by jevgeny

Re:

You do realize Canadian topo maps are available free?

Just be aware that Ibycus topo maps are not street routable. They are prettier though, so I use them offroad and use Topo Canada everywhere else. The Ibycus maps have a slower redraw speed in my Venture also.

What is the maximum Gb of SD card for Colorado 300?

SD 133x speed will work?

When I stil had my Colorado 300, I was using a 16GB SDHC class 6 card in it. It worked fine. I had previously used a 4GB SD (non-HC) card of the 133x "flavor" and it seemed to work most of the time, but I had occasional issues with GPX or map corruption when using that "no-name" brand card.

All together about 500 mapsegments or 4 GB

The best thing is to sent the map to the EXTERNAL SD card (in a cardreader), goes much faster.

The map will be called gmapsupp.img by the program, you can rename it as you wish keeping the .img extension. If you don't rename the map and keep it on the same place in the sd it will be overwriten the next time yo make a map wit mapsource.

It is handy to make one 'basemap' from the places you will be often, then other maps from places you visit less.

If it's the first time you make a map, you better try to make a map of 1 mapsegment, you will be ready in a few minutes, if it crashes you did something wrong, but did not wait for hour(s)

Edited by splashy