cache maintainance

hiya, i recently visited a cache that was already logged as needing maintainance. when i got there the condition of the cache has deteriated to the point that most of the items inside the box have been irreparably damaged by rusty water.

its a cache quite close to me, and i contacted the owner letting him know about the stae of the cache and i mentioned that if its diffecult for him to get there that i offered to adopt the cache.

i mentioned i didnt want to step on his toes on this and i dont wish to.

as far as i can tell he hasnt logged in to his account for a couple of months now. i dont know him or if he is still active on here and caching.

what do i do? should i go repair the cache anyway or leave it to him?

hiya, i recently visited a cache that was already logged as needing maintainance. when i got there the condition of the cache has deteriated to the point that most of the items inside the box have been irreparably damaged by rusty water.

its a cache quite close to me, and i contacted the owner letting him know about the stae of the cache and i mentioned that if its diffecult for him to get there that i offered to adopt the cache.

i mentioned i didnt want to step on his toes on this and i dont wish to.

as far as i can tell he hasnt logged in to his account for a couple of months now. i dont know him or if he is still active on here and caching.

what do i do? should i go repair the cache anyway or leave it to him?

Forced adoptions are no longer possible, so if you can't contact them, I guess it should be flagged for archive. If you maintain/repair it on their behalf, then I'm not sure where you stand legally, as you don't actually own the cache.

J

Edited for spilling orrers.

Edited by Dakar4x4

I would suggest that if there's no response from the owner in a couple of weeks then put a SBA flag on the cache. If it gets archived by the Reviewer this will free up the spot for someone (maybe you? :laughing: ) to place a brand new cache there, which in turn gives all the local cachers a brand new hunt and another smiley to collect.

MrsB :laughing:

I'd have thought just a bit of tidying up would suffice.

Remove the ruined tat and dry the box. There's no need to restock with goodies etc at your own expense

We visited one of our own caches last night and read in the log book that one cacher had tipped out some water and dried the box. It would be a sad state of affairs if you weren't 'legally' allowed to do that! :laughing:

I'd have thought just a bit of tidying up would suffice.

Remove the ruined tat and dry the box. There's no need to restock with goodies etc at your own expense

We visited one of our own caches last night and read in the log book that one cacher had tipped out some water and dried the box. It would be a sad state of affairs if you weren't 'legally' allowed to do that! :laughing:

Totally agree. After all, it's only a plastic box with a value of virtually nothing! I can't see this ever going to court! :laughing:

How about getting around this new ruling by making a statement on your cache page that in the event that you have not logged into GC.com for six months, that anyone else is given the right to maintain the cache if it needs it. After all, it's your property, so you should have the last say. <_<

I have "tidied up" a cache on more than one occasion and frequently replace old/full/wet logsheets with shiny new ones.If it's no bother just do as you see fit and place a note on the cache page.I doubt legality is an issue. :laughing:

I believe the reason behind forced adoptions no longer being allowed was a legal issue... I.E. Groundspeak don't own the cache and are therefore not in a position to transfer ownership of it. That said, I've often replaced full log books, replaced cache containers, maintained other caches when I can and would be very happy for someone to do the same to mine if necessary.

J

I wouldn't have any problem with someone doing a bit of TLC maintenance on any of our caches although (apparently) some cache owners can be a bit funny about it if you try and be too helpful. I just feel that in the longer term, if the owner has lost interest or is unable to maintain the cache for some reason, it's better to let it be archived and create a brand new cache. Personally, I like to see caches being "refreshed" in this way. :laughing:

MrsB

I would suggest that if there's no response from the owner in a couple of weeks then put a SBA flag on the cache. If it gets archived by the Reviewer this will free up the spot for someone (maybe you? :laughing: ) to place a brand new cache there, which in turn gives all the local cachers a brand new hunt and another smiley to collect.

MrsB <_<

I did just this on a great multi which no longer had the stages in place, and had an SBA on it as it was no longer "findable".

Unfortunately I went about things slightly "backwards", and my new listing went live before the old listing got archived, which has confused a few people, and has caused some folk to question my intentions :laughing: Ho hum, another lesson learnt,

So my advice backs up what MrsB has said, it may be wise to let your friendly local reviewer know that you intend to re-list the abandoned cache before you actually do any maintainance!

At the moment there is only one UK Reviewer, Deceangi, who is covering everything with assistance from another Reviewer erik88l-r. I understand cogs are turning in the background, Geocaching CVs are being scanned, possible candidates are being postively vetted (a painless experience, I believe :laughing: ) and hopefully we should have some new UK reviewers soon.

MrsB :laughing:

thanks for the advice. ill leave it for now, but i really hate to see a cache ending up archived especially for the fact that caches are a bit scarce up here where i live and also that i live quite close and dont mind taking it over.

You made the offer.

The cache can use some TLC but it can be found, it's not missing so SBA is not the right log because the cache remains viable.

You can fix it up if you like. That would be a good thing to do. If you don't wish to do that, that's also good.

At this point you have done what you should do. You can fix it or leave it.

It is a fantastic spot for a cache as I know the one you mean. I havent been caching for a long time and I know I find it difficult to get out and around the spots where my own caches are for maintenance trips. However I know that kindly geocachers have replaced log books and even boxes in the past for me and for that I am grateful. I have also done the same myself for others when I have been out and about (admitadly a long time ago now). I have found over time that some of my caches have disapeared and things and I have archived them as I found that I was not able to respond quick enough to maintenance requests. Then when I pass I will remove the geotrash. We live in a wondefull area that has hardly any caches and even less geocachers. It would be a shame to lose the caches we have due to lack of maintenance but sometimes someone who once had lots of time to go caching all of a sudden finds themselves with a severe shortage of spare time. I normally read previos logs of caches that I intend to visit and I might well take a spare box or notepad with me before I go for such as the one you found.

yeah thanks for all the comments and thoughts on this, im going to go back there in the next few days to replace the box and clean up the stuff inside. some of the things im going to have to dispose of as they are rusty or fabric.

ill have to find a few small items to put in their place.

Jaz666, we were the last to find the old multi of which you speak despite having only 3/4 part co-ords. The fourth could only really have been 39.

We also went back a few hours after your new cache went live but were beaten to FTF. The location was VERY close the the old one and the cache container and contents (exept the log) were also the same.

I still don't understand why adoptions we gotten rid of, if the original owner was so bothered about there £2 tupperware box they would have retrieved it before leaving the game. And what about muggling of caches, if their container was so precious then they wouldn't hide it under a rock down a public footpath would they.

...most of the items inside the box have been irreparably damaged by rusty water.

...im going to go back there in the next few days to replace the box and clean up the stuff inside.

But wait! I assumed that the original was an ammo box.

If this is the case, I don't think it should be replaced (unless it's for another ammo box of course :D )

no its a plastic tupperware type container. its quite badly cracked and has let in water and the rust comes from a small metal tin placed inside.

if it was an ammo can i couldnt help out as i dont have and cant get hold of ammo cans, but plastic boxes i can help with they are common in any shop.

I have 6 caches near me that I've unoffically adopted, the owner moved to Bristol in 2003. I have them on my watchlist so I can read the logs etc. and maintain if required. Some recent DNF logs imply that one may have gone missing so I'll probably get it archived and replace with one of my own around the same area.

If you're pretty sure, positive, that the owner's gone AWOL then there's no harm in doing what I'm doing.

TLHM.

One of the problems with taking care of someone else's cache is that there is no ability to clear out the listing. We did one last week that is getting tatty, the owner has not logged in for 2 years, it has 2 TBs listed that have not been mentioned since placing there 1 and 2 years ago and the TB owners are similarly absent from the pages.

The only people who can clear out these erroneous TBs is their owners or the cache owner. So do we put up with TBs showing that went MIA years ago, or put it SBA and let another Cacher have the chance to place a new cache?

Clear out the dead wood and let the game move on? :)

I have a soft spot for caches in remote places and feel that they should receive special cooperation between finders to keep them going.

Actions on remote caches are dictated by common sense and your own preferences. The following is a list in decreasing preference (for me).

1. Contact the owner and volunteer repair.

2. If there is no response from the owner repair anyway.

3. If you get fed up with repairing the cache repeatedly, post a SBA stating that you cannot or will not keep on repairing the cache.

4. If you want to place a cache there then post a SBA and place your own one (it always helps to explain in the log why you are doing it)

5. If there is a situation as descibed in post #21 the archive and relist sounds like the best option.

If the cache is in a good location there is less motivation to archive and relist but if you feel you have and improvement to offer archive and relist is the only way to go.

One of the problems with taking care of someone else's cache is that there is no ability to clear out the listing. We did one last week that is getting tatty, the owner has not logged in for 2 years, it has 2 TBs listed that have not been mentioned since placing there 1 and 2 years ago and the TB owners are similarly absent from the pages.

The only people who can clear out these erroneous TBs is their owners or the cache owner. So do we put up with TBs showing that went MIA years ago, or put it SBA and let another Cacher have the chance to place a new cache?

Reviewers can if requested move TB's/Geocoins into Unknown Location, give me the GC No of the cache and I'll move them

We had a T.B. reported missing by several finders to one of our caches .

We then checked it ourselves and then emailed the T.B. owner and he then cleared it from the cache listing .

We had a T.B. reported missing by several finders to one of our caches .

We then checked it ourselves and then emailed the T.B. owner and he then cleared it from the cache listing .

As the cache owner you have this ability. I always post a note on the TB page so that the owner knows it has been marked as missing. A TB owner does not get notification of someone posting their TB as missing.