No More Magellan Problems Forever!

Just buy a Garmin. OK December I picked up a Explorist 500 little bugs all through till a few weeks ago when it decided to not load waypoints anymore. So Magellan sends me a brand new Triton 400. Not even 24 hours later unit locks up and can't do anything with it. Useless!! So I traded it in on a brand new Garmin Venture HC and I love it already!!!! :laughing:

Thanks Garmin!!!!

A friend's Magellan Explorist has had problems for more than a year. Finally, he got an RMA to send it in. It was sent back, even though they knew it would only turn on when connected to a computer . . . :laughing:

So, Magellan sent him a brand new Triton 400, which arrived yesterday. It locked up after only three hours . . . <_<

Magellan technical support told him to wait 24 hours, put in new batteries, and try it again . . . :laughing:

Until he finally gets a GPSr from Magellan that works, he has my old Vista C to use. It works perfectly. :blink:

Magellan technical support told him to wait 24 hours, put in new batteries, and try it again . . . <_<

I have to wonder at that advisement. :laughing: I can't think of anything a 24 hour wait would help except their ability to put off having to deal with a problem. :laughing:

I have loved the durability of my MeriPlat but I think after 5 years it is time to upgrade. I'm very seriously looking at the Colorado 400t. I just wish they had the tri-axial compass.

Magellan technical support told him to wait 24 hours, put in new batteries, and try it again . . . :D

I have to wonder at that advisement. :D I can't think of anything a 24 hour wait would help except their ability to put off having to deal with a problem. :D

I have loved the durability of my MeriPlat but I think after 5 years it is time to upgrade. I'm very seriously looking at the Colorado 400t. I just wish they had the tri-axial compass.

Im the one they told to wait 24 hours. So just to say I followed their directions. I did, believe it or not...it still doesnt work. Im about to call tech support. I wonder if I wait 48 hours it might work?

Magellan technical support told him to wait 24 hours, put in new batteries, and try it again . . . :D

I have to wonder at that advisement. :D I can't think of anything a 24 hour wait would help except their ability to put off having to deal with a problem. :D

Im the one they told to wait 24 hours. So just to say I followed their directions. I did, believe it or not...it still doesnt work. Im about to call tech support. I wonder if I wait 48 hours it might work?

This time they told me to try a different type of battery. I did, it didnt work. They said I could send it in and they could get it back to me in 4-6 weeks. I have had it for 1 day!

A friend's Magellan Explorist has had problems for more than a year. Finally, he got an RMA to send it in. It was sent back, even though they knew it would only turn on when connected to a computer . . . :D

So, Magellan sent him a brand new Triton 400, which arrived yesterday. It locked up after only three hours . . . :D

Until he finally gets a GPSr from Magellan that works, he has my old Vista C to use. It works perfectly. :lol:

Don't ever plan on getting your loaner back.

Edited by geoneb

Just buy a Garmin. OK December I picked up a Explorist 500 little bugs all through till a few weeks ago when it decided to not load waypoints anymore. So Magellan sends me a brand new Triton 400. Not even 24 hours later unit locks up and can't do anything with it. Useless!! So I traded it in on a brand new Garmin Venture HC and I love it already!!!! :D

Thanks Garmin!!!!

Own a Magellan GPS? Save yourself time and effort by dropping it in the trash and getting a different brand. Mine is still here in the office in the trash while my new Lowrance is on top of the desk.

Edited by geoneb

Just buy a Garmin. OK December I picked up a Explorist 500 little bugs all through till a few weeks ago when it decided to not load waypoints anymore. So Magellan sends me a brand new Triton 400. Not even 24 hours later unit locks up and can't do anything with it. Useless!! So I traded it in on a brand new Garmin Venture HC and I love it already!!!! :laughing:

Thanks Garmin!!!!

Own a Magellan GPS? Save yourself time and effort by dropping it in the trash and getting a different brand. Mine is still here in the office in the trash while my new Lowrance is on top of the desk.

Five year owner and still very happy with my MeriPlat thankyouverymuch. Customer service and product was superior until they sold out errr I mean were bought at least twice since my purchase. When my loan officer (wife) releases my funds, I will be taking a serious look at the Garmin line.

It sometimes seems Magellan bashing is a regular sport of some Garmin owners. I've been a happy Magellan owner for several years with no complaints. I also own three Garmin gpsrs, plus a Delorme PN-20 and an LT-20. I know--I have a gps fetish! I like them all. Customer service, the three times needed, was once from Delorme--a very positive experience--and twice from Garmin--one was positive and one a frustrating disappointment. Look over this forum and you see a multitude of problems with Garmin products. No single company owns the monopoly on designing, building, and marketing less-than-perfect products. When they do, I'll get in line for mine...along with my requisition for a new pair of wings to travel to caches with and a silver cloud to rest on. Until then, I can't wait to fit a "buggie" Triton 2000 into my budget to go with my "buggie" Colorado 400t, my slow processing PN-20, my heat producing SP 7200, my timid Nuvi 350, my overly sensitive LT-20, and my slow booting 'Maggie" Roadmate. I've got my eye on a TomTom, too. So many gpsr's...so little money.

I have an eXplorist 600, my wife uses an eXplorist XL.

When I got my eXplorist 600 it was the greatest thing since bread ... never mind the sliced stuff. I managed to fry it a month after purchase by connecting it to the Magellan branded car mount with the Magelland branded power data cable. Over the last few years I've had to replace that poorly built cable four times, which means, at $60/pop+customs&excise to Canada that I basically bought my GPS twice.

It was a great unit, but it had it's problems. For example, if I wanted to have certain features (like the big numbers data screen) I had to run the European firmware, but that killed the effectiveness of the geocaching mode on my North American unit (it kept getting amnesia). The whole debacle with the (proper) map software not being available when the units launched, and then Magellan wanting full pricing to upgrade from DirectRoute 2 to DirectRoute 3..... and the way they updated their licensing model. Topo Canada was a crap product, and the contour lines were never useful AT ALL for determining where cliffs and river valleys were located, at least not useful when using it on the GPS. If I ran topo on the GPS I couldn't go above 60 km/h without the map falling several km behind me. Changing maps meant rebooting the unit, reacquiring, 5 minutes to start up and load waypoints.

Magellan STARTED off listening to the eXplorist customer base, but there was an ominous silence once the Triton line was announced. Then there is the fact that to get any support at all meant a 5-6 hour (HOUR) wait on the phone, long distance from Canada. I think I may have purchased my GPS three times now that I think about it.

I'm now using a Garmin Colorado.

It is soooooo nice that I can stop cutting up my PQs into three files so the GPS will tolerate them.

Magellan stole my business from Garmin, then gave it back with a first class ticket.

That's a bit ridiculous, don't you think? Grow up! I own two Meridians and a CrossoverGPS. They ALL work as expected. No better, no worse than any other unit out there. I'm a little sick of the Maggie bashers out there, most of which don't even own a Magellan! I don't own a Triton and I can wait for either the firmware to be fixed or a newer better line to be released, given the reports I've read. I hope Magellan can get it's act together and fix their firmware AND customer support. Until then, I'm happy with the Maggies that I already own.

JetSkier

That's a bit ridiculous, don't you think? Grow up! I own two Meridians and a CrossoverGPS. They ALL work as expected. No better, no worse than any other unit out there. I'm a little sick of the Maggie bashers out there, most of which don't even own a Magellan! I don't own a Triton and I can wait for either the firmware to be fixed or a newer better line to be released, given the reports I've read. I hope Magellan can get it's act together and fix their firmware AND customer support. Until then, I'm happy with the Maggies that I already own.

JetSkier

I just recieved 2 Triton 500's today and after all of the horrer stories I've read I'm sending them back and ordering a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSX. I'm not even going to take them out of the box. I have a Garmin Legend C that I've never really liked, I also have 2 Crossover GPS'es that my wife and I love, they work just fine and we really enjoy them. I don't like Garmin as a company very much there maps are way over priced, but the Legend C has never given me any problems. It's always worked, I like the features on the Triton but if the thing doesn't work then it doesn't matter what kind of features it has. All of the reviews I've read about the Tritons have been bad and all of the reviews I've read about the 60CSX have been good except one I think. I would rather have a Magellen handheld than a Garmin, but if a Garmin is a better GPS then that's what I'm going to buy.

Edited by Team Wolf Clan

I have to wonder at that advisement. :( I can't think of anything a 24 hour wait would help except their ability to put off having to deal with a problem. :grin:

The rep probably gave that advice because he knew the next day was his day off! :huh:

I went through two explorist 210s and I loved them both. Unfortunately, I'm a little rough on GPSrs and I broke the LCD screen on both. The second one had a dick's sporting goods break/replace warranty and since they no longer carry magellans in my area I'm now a garmin owner.

I like it too. Let's have a garmin complaint thread. The 500 waypoint limit sucks...I had thousands in my magellan and it was ready to take as many more as I wanted to upload. My venture hc seems a little squirrely at close range, the arrow doesn't like to adjust. Still gets me to GZ though.

I like it too. Let's have a garmin complaint thread. The 500 waypoint limit sucks...I had thousands in my magellan and it was ready to take as many more as I wanted to upload. My venture hc seems a little squirrely at close range, the arrow doesn't like to adjust. Still gets me to GZ though.

Not sure which Garmin you've got but the Colorado can support over 30,000 waypoints if you load them as POIs with POILoader. You just lose the ability to edit those in the field. Contrast this with the 200 geocaches/500 waypoints per file limit of the eXplorist line (you oughta see the hoops I used to jump through to cover a long distance caching day).

Magellan technical support told him to wait 24 hours, put in new batteries, and try it again . . . :huh:

I have to wonder at that advisement. :grin: I can't think of anything a 24 hour wait would help except their ability to put off having to deal with a problem. :D

The rep probably gave that advice because he knew the next day was his day off! :(

The next day they told me to try a different type of battery. They ultimately said they would repair it for me and I would have it back within 6 weeks. Thats after it worked for a couple of hours on the first day I had it. Now my new one is supposedly on the way. Im not gonna get my hopes up that this one will be any better

Thanks for all the great helpful info I almost bought the Triton 1500. Im glad I decided to read a few reviews first .I think im going to get the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx looks like it will work well for dual spot riding.

thanks again :rolleyes:

Edited by poodlenuts

I have an eXplorist 200 and I am a newcomer to GPS technology. I love this GPS... my wife thinks I am crazy now... more so than before..... cuz I cant put the thing down...

I went into a local sporting goods store to look for a vehicle mount for it,. When I noticed that there really wasnt any Magellan accessories I should have clued in... But I thought.. what the heck, cant hurt to ask.. right??

So, I ask the "kid" behind the counter, "excuse me, do you have any vehicle mounts for my Magellan??"

holy shmoly !! you would have thought I was asking the kid if I he would give me his right ... leg.. or something...

(Major body lanquage and looks of disdain)..

"Well.. sir... we dont have anything for Magellan and also since your Megellan is DISCONTINUED you will have to go to the internet...

(looks and body lanquage meaning...end of discussion)

Ok... so Megallan isnt his cup of tea.. fine...

I guess cuz I own a Megellan I will have to expect to be treated like I am a leper?

I like it and thats all that matters, I hope that was the first and last Garmin bigot I have deal with..

I don't sweat the Gamin people. I have a GPS 315, eXplorist 200, and eXplorist 400(upgraded to European software). All of them work perfectly and have had no repair issues. The 400 I use has the upgraded Euro software and American basemap and never goes wonky. I like the way it's setup now with the extra screens. I'd gladly take another 400 or even a 500 for the wife since she likes to use it so much. Mounts and accesories can be found on eBay all without the self righteous attitude of some snot nose kid behind the counter. All in all I'd say it's a great unit.

You want to throw out a Magellen in the trash send it my way whether it works or not. We put up a geocaching display in the local library every summer fro awareness. Not going to put one of my working units in there now am I. lol

In regards to the Triton though. I still wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. As far as the Colorado if you can't get the bloody thing wet for fear of water getting in it what is the point? In it' case a 20 foot pole. The things get dropped, sometimes in water. It rains. It should at least be able to keep out water as good as a cheap ten dollar digital watch.

Seriously, you want to get rid of your junk Maggi GPS I'm game. As for the Maggi bashers, ignore them.

I like it and thats all that matters, I hope that was the first and last Garmin bigot I have deal with..

Are you certain he was a "Garmin bigot"? . . . There's other brands too! I don't think he treated you any

different than Magellan treats it's customers. I felt much the same as you when I got my eXplorist XL,

but then reality reared it's ugly head. Magellan is swirling 'round the chute. Gathering in the neophytes

and takin' a dump on the "old heads". Buyer beware!

@ least you got your 'Bobtail' can't go wrong w/ those, I built a '67/'68/'74 . . . had all the goodies-

'rock-crusher', 4:10L/Ss, SaginawPS, PTO & dash, 351W, Autolite 'flattop' on factory manifold on'n'on...,

a fun rig! I even found that special cab-over camper for the P/U cab, guy wanted way too much though!

Norm

I'm a Maggie owner & basher

Edited by RRLover

I have to agree with the above. I own a Sportrak and a Maestro, but I warn people away from Magellan now because of there customer support. They have left their loyal customers stranded by refusing to provide software that updates WAAS in most of their handhelds, including the recently abandoned Explorist series. Their Triton was a disaster when it was released 9 months ago, and if you look at tritonforum.com, it appears that many of the issues are still unresolved. Their customer support was farmed out to a bunch of polite Indians who are not especially fluent in English, knowledgeable about the Magellan products, nor empowered to solve your problems. They have ignored all requests to release a public interface to their Triton series so that third party developers, like Groundspeak, GSAK, and Expert GPS can develop interfaces to these units. People send in their units for repair, and six months later are still trying to figure out what happened to them-Magellan doesn't seem to know.

My guess that Shah Financial is making a pretty buck off their new holding, and once they have sucked every penny out of it they will dump it on the roadside.

Edited by MacFlash

My guess that Shah Financial is making a pretty buck off their new holding, and once they have sucked every penny out of it they will dump it on the roadside.

Here! Here! . . . I second the postulation! . . . All in agreement say "Aye"!

Norm

JetSkier

GROW UP? Learn to read! - it's unanimous against ANY triton gps on this forum.

Did a check this weekend, and sure enough, my wife's 2 year old eXplorist XL has now lost it's ability to find the WAAS satellites, after we had to hard reset it last month to get it working again. I had noticed it seemed to lose it's accuracy lately.

Went to an event cache this weekend and of the 300 people that were there, I'd say half of them were using Colorados now. Including some of the most outspoken Magellan fans that could be found in these parts.

Did a check this weekend, and sure enough, my wife's 2 year old eXplorist XL has now lost it's ability to find the WAAS satellites, after we had to hard reset it last month to get it working again. I had noticed it seemed to lose it's accuracy lately.

Went to an event cache this weekend and of the 300 people that were there, I'd say half of them were using Colorados now. Including some of the most outspoken Magellan fans that could be found in these parts.

northernpenguin ~

My 3 year eXplorist XL also lost its ability to find the WAAS satellites and I thought ,....What the hell, and downloaded the XL 1.55 EU that is found at this sight and WAAS is now showing up in the EPE window and I also have several new useful screens. http://gpsinformation.org/perry/magellan/

Edited by stutzismydog

I don't sweat the Gamin people. I have a GPS 315, eXplorist 200, and eXplorist 400(upgraded to European software). All of them work perfectly and have had no repair issues. The 400 I use has the upgraded Euro software and American basemap and never goes wonky. I like the way it's setup now with the extra screens. I'd gladly take another 400 or even a 500 for the wife since she likes to use it so much. Mounts and accesories can be found on eBay all without the self righteous attitude of some snot nose kid behind the counter. All in all I'd say it's a great unit.

Seriously, you want to get rid of your junk Maggi GPS I'm game. As for the Maggi bashers, ignore them.

I've not used any brand except Magellan, so I can't compare it to a Garmin, but I cannot complain about the Magellans I've got. If mine ever do go toes up, I'll probably get a Garmin. You have to find hilltops to get sats with my old 2000, but that's the best it could do, by design. I love my Explorist 400. So much so I got another for my brother to use. He just got it and he told me it sat-locked in less than a minute. That unit was mailed to his address which is 1200 miles away. That's two , NIB, highly sensitive, accurate and detail map expandable GPS's with Topo/road software all for less than $240, total.

Came here and learned how to Re-WASS them with the Euro firmware and both ARE accurate to 10'. I set a waypoint the other day on one of my fence posts. Walked away and did a GOTO. It put me within 6'.

When I purchased my first GPS I bought a Magellan because for the price I was wanting to spend it came with a data cable and I liked the interface. I had it less than a month and it locked up. I couldn't change screens, it wouldn't do anything. I took it back and got a Garmin. Spent an additional $70 because after a month it was time to upgrade anyways! The salespeople tried to convince me to just exchange for another Magellan, but I told them no way - if it was only going to last a month I wanted no part of it. I was disappointed, because like I said, I did like the interface. I never could get it to play nice with my computer tho - I had to input all the data by hand, and that got REAL old real quick. Magellan was absolutely no help on this issue either. Customer Support lost them a customer!

Edited by m.austin

...I just wish they had the tri-axial compass.

You think Garmin would have figured that out by now.

I got a reply back from them. No products are planned with a tri-axial compass. Best guess the rep had was probably due to existing patents. Bummer. He did indicate once the compass is calibrated on the 400t it doesn't have to be held exactly flat, just flat.

I had a Magellan Crossover (for about 2 weeks). The price and features are what originally appealed to me and while the auto Navigation mode worked perfect, the trail navigation mode showed my location as being in the middle of the harbor. When I tried to contact the technical department, I could not get through and only received their answering message, telling me to call back at another time, so I tried for 3 days. After I contacted their sales department, who could only give me a different number to receive the same voice message from their technical department,

I sold that unit on e-bay and spent a lot more on a Garmin Colorado 300.

I haven't required Garmin's customer service support yet, so it's a bit early to comment on that. However, while the Garmin Colorado isn't perfect, it is a vast improvement on the Magellan. I'm pleased with my Garmin purchase so far and will never go near another Magellan.

I am bashing Megellan. Their CrossoverGps was inaccurate (walking on water), their sales department were rude, their tech department was an answering machine telling the customer to call back at another time. I was visibly upset and frustrated after trying to contact them. Without customer service their product is JUNK.

I am bashing Megellan. Their CrossoverGps was inaccurate (walking on water), their sales department were rude, their tech department was an answering machine telling the customer to call back at another time. I was visibly upset and frustrated after trying to contact them. Without customer service their product is JUNK.

I hear you there. I spent a good fifty bucks on long distance (1-800 doesn't work in Canada) trying to penetrate their invincible answering machine. I spent 6 hours on hold waiting for that answering machine to come on when my eXplorist 600 died the first time. It was the thing that soured me to the company after buying TWO explorists.

JetSkier

I'm sure I didn't "mis-read" your quote. You said if anyone owns a Magellan they should drop it in the trash. You made no mention of a Triton. I commented on what you said.

Now you claim that it's unanimous (Webster's definition says "having the agreement and consent of all") on this forum against the Tritons. It may be 99% against the Triton's, but I have read posts of people having no problems with their Tritons. That would make it NOT unanimous!

I have learned how to read, maybe you need to learn how to write...

JetSkier

unanimous, maybe not but pretty darn close!

The only people I have seen that have anything good to say about the triton line are those who never have used any other GPS(going by what I've read on this forum). Even those who love their older magellan GPS receivers can't stand the triton.

I was a longtime Magellan customer that owned at least 5 models, you couldn't get me take one for free now(I guess I could sell it to someone I don't like). I've seen how much more reliable Lowrance and Garmin models are now and wouldn't recommend Magellan with it's lack of customer service, poor quality units, and very buggy firmware.

Save your money on the Triton 2000. It seems everytime I replace the batteries in my unit, the profiles and owner information are reset. Talking to Magellan tech support, the unit is supposed to do a hard reset everytime the batteries are replaced.

Magellan doesn't mention this in their owners manual and will not stand behind the product by buying it back.

This Triton 2000 is the fifth GPS I've owned, and it is the last Magellan.

It sometimes seems Magellan bashing is a regular sport of some Garmin owners. I've been a happy Magellan owner for several years with no complaints. I also own three Garmin gpsrs, plus a Delorme PN-20 and an LT-20. I know--I have a gps fetish! I like them all. Customer service, the three times needed, was once from Delorme--a very positive experience--and twice from Garmin--one was positive and one a frustrating disappointment. Look over this forum and you see a multitude of problems with Garmin products. No single company owns the monopoly on designing, building, and marketing less-than-perfect products. When they do, I'll get in line for mine...along with my requisition for a new pair of wings to travel to caches with and a silver cloud to rest on. Until then, I can't wait to fit a "buggie" Triton 2000 into my budget to go with my "buggie" Colorado 400t, my slow processing PN-20, my heat producing SP 7200, my timid Nuvi 350, my overly sensitive LT-20, and my slow booting 'Maggie" Roadmate. I've got my eye on a TomTom, too. So many gpsr's...so little money.

I was a huge magellan fan at one time until the customer service got worse and worse. I can't understand ANY of their tech support reps is a huge issue for me when I have to spend most of the time on the phone going what? or repeat that? its freaking ridiculous.

I started with a Roadmate 760 then bought a 6000T and they have been good units then I bought a Explorist 600 for myself for geocaching and at the time I thought it was good unit but due to lack of firmware updates and especially map updates I have decided to move on and try a Triton 2000. Unfortunely I was severely disappointed by the battery usage, the amount of times it locked up, expense of the NG maps, and how sluggish it was. I returned it to the store.

My better half got a Garmin 60CSx when I got my Exporist 600 and every now and then if I head out to a cache myself I grab the Garmin 60CSx because of TOPO 2008. The detail goes way beyond by Explorist. So I am really upset with magellan not coming out with good topo maps.

So I finally went to the other side and bought myself a Colorado 300 and have been out numerous time and I love the unit. In my eyes Magellan is dead to me. The big thing that really upset me was the WAAS not being supported on the Explorist line, unless your unit was on during the updates or updates to the EU 2.57 version. Did they forget that there is a US? Several emails into them and still no answers to my questions.

Storm180

JetSkier

Not so fast! I own a Triton 2000 and an Exlplorist 500 and love them both. The firmware updates work and a new one to finish off the final problems is due out next week. I wouldn't trade my Triton for a Colorado for any reason.

JetSkier

I'm sure I didn't "mis-read" your quote. You said if anyone owns a Magellan they should drop it in the trash. You made no mention of a Triton. I commented on what you said.

Now you claim that it's unanimous (Webster's definition says "having the agreement and consent of all") on this forum against the Tritons. It may be 99% against the Triton's, but I have read posts of people having no problems with their Tritons. That would make it NOT unanimous!

I have learned how to read, maybe you need to learn how to write...

JetSkier

Okay so I'm right only 99% of the time, and you get the remaining 1%.

My final word and best advice for you, my friend, - buy a triton and head for parts unknown.