Trinity Mine Caches

W7WT

My wife Arlene fractured her ankle in March. Hopefully it will be OK by the middle of June so we can make a Delorme run on US 2 to Waterville and then down to Vantage to get maps 78, 81, 93, both 103s. Up to 90 and 89 in the Trout Lake area and then over to 87 on I5 and come home. We would like to take the low slung Scion hatch back as it gets twice the MPG that the Land Cruiser does. Arlene will not be able to go on any hikes and will probably stay in the vehicle. Looks like the Scion would be OK for the Trout Lake area but not the Trinity Mine area. Maybe we should bypass that area and just drive the Land Cruiser over later on. Appreciate any thoughts on both the Trinity Mine area and also the Glenwood and Trout Lake area. The Trinity Mine area is in Map 34 and the caches in Map 90 are SE of Glenwood, while the Trout Lake Area is in Map 89 of the NEW Delorme

Atlas. Thanks Dick

My wife Arlene fractured her ankle in March. Hopefully it will be OK by the middle of June so we can make a Delorme run on US 2 to Waterville and then down to Vantage to get maps 78, 81, 93, both 103s. Up to 90 and 89 in the Trout Lake area and then over to 87 on I5 and come home. We would like to take the low slung Scion hatch back as it gets twice the MPG that the Land Cruiser does. Arlene will not be able to go on any hikes and will probably stay in the vehicle. Looks like the Scion would be OK for the Trout Lake area but not the Trinity Mine area. Maybe we should bypass that area and just drive the Land Cruiser over later on. Appreciate any thoughts on both the Trinity Mine area and also the Glenwood and Trout Lake area. The Trinity Mine area is in Map 34 and the caches in Map 90 are SE of Glenwood, while the Trout Lake Area is in Map 89 of the NEW Delorme

Atlas. Thanks Dick

For Trinity Mine and 4 Cottons, the Scion will be just fine. For the other one, the road up the hill was covered with softball sized rocks and I was able to make it up with my Ford Contour, but it was slow going. I only said softball sized because I wasn't sure what to say that might be a bit bigger than that. That was when I did those caches in the Fall of 2006. I'm not sure what this last Winter has done to the road.

Atlas. Thanks Dick

Is it cheaper to do one trip in the Scion and a second shorter trip in the Land Cruiser or a single trip in the Land Cruiser?

Thanks for the information. I am anxious to go on a trip. We were planning on leaving for Alaska this weekend but now will wait until after the Fourth of July. I think we will bypass Trinity for now and take the Scion in June sometime for the southern maps. Then take the Roadtrek to Alaska in

July for about five weeks coming back via Pend Orelle Co. for the last

county for the WA County Challenge. Then swing West and pick up some of the Northern Maps for the Delorme Challege. Then after labor day

take the Land Cruiser and go after the Trinity Mine Caches. I have a son that lives in Fairbanks and could find a cache for us but we would like to take the trip again. Made the trip about 3 times in a land vehicle and five trips in our Piper Cruiser and Archer. Dick

Edited by W7WT

I have not been in to the trinity mine area yet this year. But I have always just driven that road in a car. It is usually pretty good. I am not sure if it is open yet. You might want to check on that. Not all of our back roads are open yet this year. It has been a cold spring and the snow has hung around some of the areas a bit longer. I know of a couple of back roads I tried to go on and found the gates still closed and others still had snow covering part of them as recent as May 10.