City Navigator NT 2009 Question

just purchased the 60CSx and was going to get the City Navigator North America NT software... see that they have the 2009 version available as an update... has Garmin released the cd/dvd version of 2009 or am I supposed to buy the current version (2008?) and do the update via download... thanks.

just purchased the 60CSx and was going to get the City Navigator North America NT software... see that they have the 2009 version available as an update... has Garmin released the cd/dvd version of 2009 or am I supposed to buy the current version (2008?) and do the update via download... thanks.

I think the way it works is if you buy CNNT 2008 before the release of CNNT 2009 retail, but after 3/1/08, you'll get the upgrade for free. If you buy CNNT 2008 after the retail release of CNNT 2009, no free upgrade. At least that's how I understand it...

And so far, CNNT 2009 isn't available except as an upgrade...

Thrak, where'd you get your 2008 NT?

I bought the 2008 NT version from Amazon for about $85 last week. Once I received it, I unlocked it, installed it, checked the Garmin site that it was indeed recognized etc. I then called Garmin to see what I needed to do to get the 2009 NT upgrade.

After a few questions it turns out that if you buy the 2008 NT version from anyone but Garmin you do not get the 2009 NT upgrade for "free". She indicated that I had to purchase it outright. Apparently if you buy the 2008 NT version from Garmin directly you are then entitled to a "free" upgrade via download.

I've seen various interpretations, ambiguity and confusion posted, but as far as my experience is concerned and feedback from Garmin, you have basically 3 options:

A. Wait for the full 2009 NT version to be released. Date has not been published.

B. Buy the 2008 NT version from Garmin at $135 and you'll be entitled to the 2009 upgrade download (apparently)

C. Buy the 2008 NT version from a 3rd party at a discount and also purchase the 2009 NT upgrade

Edited by CondorTrax

After a few questions it turns out that if you buy the 2008 NT version from anyone but Garmin you do not get the 2009 NT upgrade for "free". She indicated that I had to purchase it outright. Apparently if you buy the 2008 NT version from Garmin directly you are then entitled to a "free" upgrade via download.

I bought 2008 NT from Getfeetwet.com and unlocked it on April 4. I was notified of my free update to 2009 on myGarmin page May 1.

Thrak, where'd you get your 2008 NT?

I bought the 2008 NT version from Amazon for about $85 last week. Once I received it, I unlocked it, installed it, checked the Garmin site that it was indeed recognized etc. I then called Garmin to see what I needed to do to get the 2009 NT upgrade.

I've seen various interpretations, ambiguity and confusion posted, but as far as my experience is concerned and feedback from Garmin, you have basically 3 options:

A. Wait for the full 2009 NT version to be released. Date has not been published.

B. Buy the 2008 NT version from Garmin at $135 and you'll be entitled to the 2009 upgrade download (apparently)

C. Buy the 2008 NT version from a 3rd party at a discount and also purchase the 2009 NT upgrade

You got a line of BS. I bought NT 2008 from Amazon - same as you. Not only that, I bought it in December 2007 and still got the free update. I was surprised but it was listed on my my.garmin page. You need to register your unit. I had mine already registered but had trouble getting the software registered. I finally sent Garmin email and asked them how in heck to register the upgrade from my old maps to the new maps. I guess the fact that I got them to register it (finally) during the first part of this year qualified me for the upgrade.

The line about "if you bought it from Amazon you're out of luck" is a crock. Call again. Tell them you are not satisfied. You got some idiot on the phone the last time.

[Edit]

I bought directly from Amazon - not from "joebob's discount house of software" or some other type of entity selling through Amazon.

Edited by Thrak

Resolved: After speaking to the 5th Garmin rep I finally got my message across. He understood what needed to be done but wasn't sure why it wasn't happening automatically. he put me on hold for 5 min and when he came back on he asked that I log back into myGarmin and loe and behold there was the free upgrade link. I opted for the disc which will take a few weeks to be delivered.

I bought 2009 NT from TigerGPS and got the free upgrade. THe Garmin rep just set it up for me and I choose the disc in case I do a reinstall. The disc arrived in less than a week.

You can also do a reinstall if you choose the download. You just need to save the file and the product key shown on the download page.

I just recently purchased City Navigator NT 2008 for Mac and once I unlocked it online, it showed that I was eligible for a free upgrade to 2009 (I didn't buy 2008 directly from Garmin either). I downloaded and installed 2009 and currently am running it on my Legend HCx.

Robert

I just recently purchased City Navigator NT 2008 for Mac and once I unlocked it online, it showed that I was eligible for a free upgrade to 2009 (I didn't buy 2008 directly from Garmin either). I downloaded and installed 2009 and currently am running it on my Legend HCx.

Robert

Lucky you! I too, just bought City Navigator NT 2008 (for PC) and unlocked it online today. All I got upon registering it was an offer for a 10% discount on an update if bought directly from Garmin. The my.garmin page offers nothing more hopeful than that. I wrote them an email to request the free update. I see no information about any "free update policy" anywhere on their site. I'm a bit annoyed to have heard that registration produces an update link, and then experience the opposite. :rolleyes:

Well, I used Mapsource to unlock the maps; just followed the prompts. I went to myGarmin and the maps didn't show up as a registered product so I registered it. I went back to Mapsource and tried to transfer the maps to my GPS but I can't. The option is greyed out. I'll read through the help files to see what I'm missing.

edit: Ahh, I see what I'm not doing. Have to select the Map Tool and start clicking around on the map to get it into the Map list and *then* transfer it. What a pain. :D

For some reason the maps aren't showing up in my account. I can keep registering the unlock code but under myGarmin there are no maps installed with my device. I guess I have to call Garmin tomorrow. What a pain. :D

Edited by quintios

I have a "City Navigator North America" DVD labeled "Version 8.00". Is this the predecessor to "City Navigator NT North America, Version 2008"? If so, then to get to the latest version I would need to buy "Version 2008" and then upgrade to "Verison 2009"?

For some reason the maps aren't showing up in my account. I can keep registering the unlock code but under myGarmin there are no maps installed with my device. I guess I have to call Garmin tomorrow. What a pain. :D

Just in case it's a help to others, here's what happened. When the map never showed up under my account, I called Garmin. They were very helpful, and said I had created two "MyGarmin" accounts somehow. I think what happened is I made one when I registered the GPS, and when I used the CityNav registration tool, it made me another account.

When I called I told them I wanted to purchase the DVD (it's $10 for it). They then told me to go thru the prompts like I was getting the download, and that gave me an unlock key. I got the DVD in the mail about 4 days later.

I've had a really annoying experience with City Navigator 2008 NT (and eventually 2009). I was unable to register City Navigator NT 2008 online under MyGarmin--it didn't even show up on the list as an option. So, I called Garmin and they gave me the unlock code. I asked for the 2009 upgrade and they said wait a day and it should show up as a download, and if not, call back. Well, I had to call back, and they said they'd send a note over to IT and that I'd get an email when it was ready to download. 1 week later, no email so I called back. This time I got to the mobile devices department, and the guy I got on the phone said that I couldn't get it as a download because I had a Vista HCx and it wasn't supported. I tried to tell him that yes, in fact, it was possible and please give me the download, but he was adamant that only the DVD would work. I eventually gave in and said "fine, send me the DVD". They sent it for free, which was nice. Installed it, and then couldn't get it unlocked to my GPS. One more call to Garmin and they said they couldn't do it because of a problem with the website with an undetermined resolution date. :D They said I might eventually get an email that things were resolved. At this point, I got fed up, found a key generator and took care of it myself. All in all, not a shining example of Garmin's storied customer service.

I have a "City Navigator North America" DVD labeled "Version 8.00". Is this the predecessor to "City Navigator NT North America, Version 2008"? If so, then to get to the latest version I would need to buy "Version 2008" and then upgrade to "Verison 2009"?

Yes, v.8 is the predecessor to v.2008. Garmin began using years starting with 2008 (2007 release). You should be able to buy the 2009 update and apply it directly over v.8.

Edited by ryguyMN

Update: Had to call Garmin to get City Navigator to show up in my account. Spoke with "Matt". Helpful guy. He fixed up my account, and within minutes City Navigator showed up as well as a link to the free update to 2009, which I downloaded cause I'm like, really really cheap. :laughing:

He didn't ask where I got the software or anything like that, so apparently it doesn't matter where you bought it, you should get an upgrade for free.

I'm pleased.

Yes, v.8 is the predecessor to v.2008. Garmin began using years starting with 2008 (2007 release). You should be able to buy the 2009 update and apply it directly over v.8.

My v.8 is not an "NT" format. Will the 2009 NT update work or will I need to first buy/install the 2008 NT version and then apply the 2009 NT update?

Thanks.

My v.8 is not an "NT" format. Will the 2009 NT update work or will I need to first buy/install the 2008 NT version and then apply the 2009 NT update?
An update has to match the format of the maps you want to update: non-NT maps require a non-NT update; NT maps require an NT update.

So your choices are to buy a non-NT 2009 update for the maps you have, or buy an NT original install version. Which one is best will depend on your wants/needs.

I'm not sure what the availability is for the various 2009 versions. If the original-install 2009 NT version is available, it would be easier to just buy it than to buy a 2008 NT version and then the 2009 NT update.