Share your Centroid

GlobalRat

S 31° 23.837 E 22° 21.174

In an area called Ubuntu Rural, a few kilometer west of Victoria West in the Northern Cape...

Interesting that caching in WC, EC, FS & GP can give you a centroid in NC...

Guess I will have to go and cache in the NC then sometime soon...

Hi.

Just done mine.

Turns out it's on the Eastern shore of Lake Tanganikya (about 30km inland) - and about 120 km south of Burundi - in Tanzania!

Well I guess my movement over the past 15 months makes sense.

USING SQL method: My centroid has moved north east (go figure) and it now lies in the North Eastern corner of Uganda - near Lake Kirkpatrick (heading towards a small bit of Kenya and then into Ethiopia?)

Using Cache centroid method - I am just across the border in Kenya just on the plains the other side the border mountain range.

I was amazed today: I decided, for fun, to determine where my centroid is. I was fascinated to find that after some 400+ caches, it is only about 2km from my home location and couple of hundred metres from a multicache I did last Saturday:

Centroid : S 26° 08.080 E 28° 03.299

This is quite nice, I went through the post of this topic going back to somewhere in 2008. It would have been great to be part of this game since 2008, but I only found out about this in April 2010. Been doing quite a bit of caching in the last few months across our country and wow! What a privilege. I see that all caches in SA (the ones I have, active/archived and available) have a centroid of close to Bloem. My Centroid is about 10km west from Sasolburg.... (S26 41.071 E27 45.787 to be precise). I wonder out of the people having found more than 1500 caches what percentage of these caches are in SA and what is outside of SA?

I am one of those techically challenged when it comes to this type of thing. :unsure: Could some geeky body [DamhuisClan, BruceTP, or the like] please post HOW we should go about calculating our own centroid? Thank you in advance. :PB)

There are two GSAK macros that can do it for you: Centroidhynr and FindStatGen. If you use the first one you must first filter to display only your own finds before you run the macro.

How would one calculate it manually?

It is much easier to say than to do: You need to calculate the average position (in 3 dimensions) which will give you a point below the surface of the earth. You then have to project back to the closest surface point. The fact that the earth is not a sphere complicates this last part.

I have installed GSAK, downloaded the PQ's of my finds and hides [numbers don't match as archived caches do not show I believe] have tried to use the macros suggested above but find GSAK to be the most user UNfriendly piece of software that I have had the misfortune of using - with respect to my learned caching friends who thrive on its use! :blink: The macros cause NOTHING to happen and on top of everything else GSAK shows that I live [home] on a piece of manor in Ireland! :rolleyes: I think I will be quite happy not knowing where my centroid is!! :ph34r:

Thanks to DamhuisClan and a marathon phone call today we managed to get my centroid sorted.

It is S08° 53.443 E058° 02.729, which is 3858 km SW of my home location and just south of the Seychelles!

I will need to do a lot more caches in the western hemisphere to move it onto some land in Africa. Will be in Europe in a few days but the numbers will be insignificant due to time constraints.

Thanks for the help Anton - most appreciated. :grin:

Been watching my centroid very closely since I started caching overseas earlier this year. By the time I got back to SA in July it was sitting a fair way off shore from Durban. During my time in SA it returned to the mainland and now, since I've moved to Sweden it's been heading north quite rapidly... Soon I'm going to break into Zim - S23 01.657, E30 27.861

Would be fun to plot a "moving centroid" (as i travel a fair bit and stayed in the Middle East my centroid was on the Kenyan/Ethiopian border a while back - probably closer to Tanzania or burundi now.

Would be fun to plot a "moving centroid" (as i travel a fair bit and stayed in the Middle East my centroid was on the Kenyan/Ethiopian border a while back - probably closer to Tanzania or burundi now.

I always liked this idea but never did anything about it... Don't know why I didn't think of this before but I just did a quick search on the GSAK Macros list and found a macro that does exactly that :D Check out CentroidTrack. I had some problems with it initially because there is a restriction in the macro that filters to only caches that are less than 10000km from home (not sure why!?!?!). Anyway, this will only affect those folks that have travelled a long way from home and if you remove the distance restriction from the SQL (line 67 of the macro) then things work correctly. Here is what mine looks like now...

CentroidOverTime.jpg

As you'll see I am now well over the equator and having spent quite a while in the DRC I'm about to break out into CAR and/or South Sudan. The blue markers represent 100 caching days.

I always liked this idea but never did anything about it... Don't know why I didn't think of this before but I just did a quick search on the GSAK Macros list and found a macro that does exactly that :D Check out CentroidTrack. I had some problems with it initially because there is a restriction in the macro that filters to only caches that are less than 10000km from home (not sure why!?!?!). Anyway, this will only affect those folks that have travelled a long way from home and if you remove the distance restriction from the SQL (line 67 of the macro) then things work correctly. Here is what mine looks like now...

CentroidOverTime.jpg

As you'll see I am now well over the equator and having spent quite a while in the DRC I'm about to break out into CAR and/or South Sudan. The blue markers represent 100 caching days.

That looks great Brian.

Will need to get GSAK onto a PC someday and do that too :)