Look out, look out, there's a thief about

For the second time, I've had a cache container stolen. The first time it was a small ammo can that was swapped for a Tesco carrier bag. This time it was a large ammo can. The thief emptied the contents, including log book and cache camera into a round plastic tub, with no lid and that was too small to hold everything and stuffed it all back in it's hiding place.

S*d this for a game of soldiers.... anyone know where I can get hold of some 35mm film cans. If you can't beat 'em.... join 'em. :D:anicute::anicute:

For the second time, I've had a cache container stolen. The first time it was a small ammo can that was swapped for a Tesco carrier bag. This time it was a large ammo can. The thief emptied the contents, including log book and cache camera into a round plastic tub, with no lid and that was too small to hold everything and stuffed it all back in it's hiding place.

Eeeeekk... I had one of my caches disappear a couple of weeks ago.. It was a large Ammo can & contents all disappeared. Despite the can being labelled, badged and with my email and phone number on it. I've a couple of spare ammo cans but have used a bit of tupperware for it's replacement, just in case it is someone with an Ammo Can fetish.

J

Hi Pharisee,

Unbelievable! :D

It's clearly pre-meditated - I wonder if the low-life doing this wants the cans for his own caches?

This is doubly sad, when folks have just started talking here about the joys of old style cache's "Back to Basics" with nice big chunky ammo-cans to find.

Commiserations,

Qichina

Edited by qichina

I went to do a maintenance visit on one of my caches last week. It was a large ammo tin. No sign of the ammo tin... the contents were stuffed into a tatty wooden wine presentation box with a plastic slide lid!

It's difficult to think a theft of this type is not pre-meditated. Maybe we should compare notes on previous finders :anicute:

... although I do feel it's a risk we all take when deployoing this type of container.

S*d this for a game of soldiers.... anyone know where I can get hold of some 35mm film cans. If you can't beat 'em.... join 'em. :anicute:;):D

Has this converted you John? :D

:D Ironic, as we were just discussing this very thing at the event yesterday and The Hornet was describing where he has ammo cans swiped and replaced with Tesco bags. I hope this is just an isolated...well, at least very rare, incident

I wonder, did anyone elses cache description actually contain the text "Ammo Can"?

Jon.

:D Ironic, as we were just discussing this very thing at the event yesterday and The Hornet was describing where he has ammo cans swiped and replaced with Tesco bags. I hope this is just an isolated...well, at least very rare, incident

I wonder, did anyone elses cache description actually contain the text "Ammo Can"?

Jon.

Yep..... cache page states that the cache is (was!!) a large ammo can. Maybe that's the answer :anicute: . Think I'll modify all my cache pages to say that the cache is a scrappy little film can :anicute:

Jon.

Yep..... cache page states that the cache is (was!!) a large ammo can. Maybe that's the answer :anicute: . Think I'll modify all my cache pages to say that the cache is a scrappy little film can :anicute:

Maybe worth just quoting a rough estimate of the cache containers volume rather than indicating it's a tempting Ammo Can! "You are looking for a 2L container" etc....

I've changed my cache description because of course it is no longer an ammo can. However, I will now be updating one of my other caches to remove the "Ammo Can" reference.

J

You'd think anyone with an ammo can fetish would take the lot - cache 'n' all.

But our thief seems to have a soft-spot for geocaching - and wants the game to continue, albeit with a different container??!? :anicute: Very odd.

Took: Metal box

Left: Ice Cream tub

TFTC

:D

S*d this for a game of soldiers.... anyone know where I can get hold of some 35mm film cans. If you can't beat 'em.... join 'em. :laughing:<_<:laughing:

I've had a 35mm film container stolen! It was a nicely painted one. Replaced it with a small container (not painted) just big enough for very small TB's and swaps. On the whole this was probably a good thing, just really annoying and inconvenient.

S*d this for a game of soldiers.... anyone know where I can get hold of some 35mm film cans. If you can't beat 'em.... join 'em. :o:o:D

Blimey, the will nick anything!!!!

If you need it I've got an Ammo Can full of 35mm Film Cannister's in my garden shed, why EERRRR!!! :) Just in case, :D:lol:

JUST IN CASE, I went totally loopy and started putting micro's all around Maulden/Chicksands woods :D

I've also got a nice supply of Tesco carier bags :lol:

Well at least a lorry canot squash a carrier bag :D:)

Cheers

Nick ;)

Littleyokel and I where the ones that found the "Iron Mountain" Stafford box snatched.. the contents where strewn around and I tend to think it was a lorry driver that got the cache..

It was pretty large and fairly open ground..

I think that somebody stealing caches if probably not likely to be placing cam boxes at all.

Madyokel.

That's bad news Pharisee as I do enjoy the finding of an ammo while out a caching. :D ,as they are quite rare.I think I've only discovered less than 20 out of 1200 finds so far.I agree with not mentioning the type of container on the cache page.Makes the find more pleasurable. :D As to the contents,well that's another subject altogether. :D

That's bad news Pharisee as I do enjoy the finding of an ammo while out a caching. :D ,as they are quite rare.I think I've only discovered less than 20 out of 1200 finds so far.I agree with not mentioning the type of container on the cache page.Makes the find more pleasurable. :D As to the contents,well that's another subject altogether. :lol:

It varies by area. Up on the moors there are plenty, they tend to be the good old fashioned Geocaches :D in a nice area with a bit of a view and a bit of a walk.

Philip

Perhaps if we all left an indelible (yet invisible) mark on our cans, we'd notice this if we found it again later down the line? Ie, give your ammo can a few nail stamps?

Not a bad idea. Just a set pattern of nail dents or, even better, use letter stamps like those used to 'postcode' bikes. Does mean you'll be checking all the cans you find (assuming you've had one nicked).

sorry to hear these are disappearing. Especially as there is on in the kitchen waiting for me to finish 'creating' the cache.

A very nice ammo can near Lampeter is on my FTF list. Sadly it has not been seen since.. lovely contents it had too, and a geocoin. All gone :D

I have one ammo can out in the wild, off now to remove those words from my cache page if I have used them.. grrr..

I am beginning to wonder if its worth placing caches any more.. I've had loads dstroyed or muggled lately, some more than once :anibad:

At least film canisters dont cost anything to replace.