new colorados after the 300 and 400er series

i heard infos (garmin-dealer) about new colorados in autumn

that might be the reason because the support of the current colorados is going to fall asleep.

the new models seem to have more features than the current colorados.

does anyone have more information.

Edited by freeday

that might be the reason because the support of the current colorados is going to fall asleep.

What features have you heard about? I don't think that Garmin will stop or slow support of existing models just because new ones are coming out.

Just conjecture on my part, but I could see new Colorado models featuring:

• 1:24K topo maps
  • Aerial imagery on a t model

An announcement might be made at Outdoor Retailer in August. Any new releases targeted for the holidays will likely be announced no later than September.

Just conjecture on my part but this is what I think.

1. Any high tech industry that is worth anything always has new replacement models in production. I would guess that Garmin is already two maybe three models in development.

2. It is almost a certainty that the Garmin dealer has no idea what is scheduled for release in the future. The potential for theft is just way to high and any person involved in the production of future models that leaked details would be looking for a job posthaste.

In any business I have worked in the company does not pre announce any product or time frame as they do not want to curtail the sales of current stock. You wouldn't want to end up with a warehouse of unsold product because the told a dealer that a new product was coming out in Autumn.

Just conjecture on my part but this is what I think.

1. Any high tech industry that is worth anything always has new replacement models in production. I would guess that Garmin is already two maybe three models in development.

2. It is almost a certainty that the Garmin dealer has no idea what is scheduled for release in the future. The potential for theft is just way to high and any person involved in the production of future models that leaked details would be looking for a job posthaste.

In any business I have worked in the company does not pre announce any product or time frame as they do not want to curtail the sales of current stock. You wouldn't want to end up with a warehouse of unsold product because the told a dealer that a new product was coming out in Autumn.

GPS units are just like computers, cell phones & golf clubs. They are obsolete before they hit the market... :D

I can guarantee this will happen eventually. About a year after those are released, there will be new ones with more features as well.

Unfortunately what you are probably referring to are the Colorado units with the hardware changes to fix all of the problems we have been encountering since the release. Maybe with the newest Sirf chip (I can dream). They will probably add a few features that we have been telling them we wanted and call it a new release. I am sorry to sound so down on Garmin but I am really disappointed in the fact that Garmin could not have a substantial firmware update by now that fixes the issues. If there are hardware issues then just tell us so we can move on as informed consumers. Some of you will ask why I am still complaining since I have replaced my Colorado with a 60csx. My wife still has the Colorado and we are holding out for the magic bullet firmware update that makes it all better. What used to be her Colorado being more accurate than mine (consistantly 60' off from one another) is now my 60csx being more accurate that her Colorado. So we are off to Geowoodstock with her Colorado (updateless) and my 60csx along with my old 60cs as a back up for hers. Regardless we are looking forward to a great weekend.

In my mind their are at least three more models coming in the next 6 mo - 2 yrs:

Colo 100 - The obvious stripper, no wireless, no altimeter/compass

Colo 200 - No wireless for sure, unclear about the alti/compass

Colo 600 - The wireless, I assume it's bluetooth, will allow a headset and MP3

Colo 700 - Add a camera

Colo 800 - Add a cell phone

Because I have so little past Garmin experience, not clear when the 100 and 200 will show. The upper end models await faster low power CPU's so are 2+ years out.

This is what I guessed in January.

With my 20-20 hindsight, still seems reasonable. The NuviPhone has been announced, but that's a Road Warrior cell. The Colo 800 will be a Cacheaholic cell. Maybe it'll log into a central database to log a cache find.

Whatever the models, you can bet the prices will out-of-this-world, given the amazing reception of the current over-priced models. Garmin has clearly written new chapters in the business books on extending the pricing model. Tip of the hat.

You could be right.

I do feel after fighting with my 300 that the chipset used is the real problem and is such that firmware and software fixes cannot really "fix" it.I would love to be wrong.

I would not be interested in a new Colorado with the same chipset that is being used at the moment. I believe a number of the problems seen in others with same chipset as this?

One thing I have noted is that the stopwatch mode is continually fast (9mins/day)and it actually hangs at some points. I wonder if this can be seen in all models that have this chipset?

I am also very glad I hung on to my 60csx.

Like Celtic Cacher I am hanging on waiting fot the "magic bullet" but am beginning to wonder after all this time that there may not be one?

Unfortunately what you are probably referring to are the Colorado units with the hardware changes to fix all of the problems we have been encountering since the release. Maybe with the newest Sirf chip (I can dream). They will probably add a few features that we have been telling them we wanted and call it a new release. I am sorry to sound so down on Garmin but I am really disappointed in the fact that Garmin could not have a substantial firmware update by now that fixes the issues. If there are hardware issues then just tell us so we can move on as informed consumers. Some of you will ask why I am still complaining since I have replaced my Colorado with a 60csx. My wife still has the Colorado and we are holding out for the magic bullet firmware update that makes it all better. What used to be her Colorado being more accurate than mine (consistantly 60' off from one another) is now my 60csx being more accurate that her Colorado. So we are off to Geowoodstock with her Colorado (updateless) and my 60csx along with my old 60cs as a back up for hers. Regardless we are looking forward to a great weekend.

I've owned about 8 Garmin units and this is the first time I've traded a newly released unit for a unit that I sold - the 400T for the 60scx. I too think it is the chipset and that it can't be fixed by a firmware upgrade.

I sold the 60scx for US$180 and had to buy a new one for US$299. (REI has them on sale for $299).

Let me know how your Geowoodstock goes. (WTF is Geowoodstock? :D )