On Target

I am thinking of organizing a Geocaching event for On Target this year and hoping for some input.

The annual date for it is the 3rd Saturday in July. But if there was enough interest I think it might be fun to having a GeoCaching On Target date a different day that the BSA one.

What are peoples thought on this?

Who would be interested in hosting or attending one and what summit would be of interest to you?

From the geocaching guidelines:

Event caches are gatherings that are open to all geocachers and which are organized by geocachers. While a music concert, a garage sale, an organized sporting event, a ham radio field day or a town’s fireworks display might be of interest to a large percentage of geocachers, such events are not suitable for submission as event caches because the organizers and the primary attendees are not geocachers.

Based on this, I do not believe the suggested event will be published.

From the geocaching guidelines:

Event caches are gatherings that are open to all geocachers and which are organized by geocachers. While a music concert, a garage sale, an organized sporting event, a ham radio field day or a town’s fireworks display might be of interest to a large percentage of geocachers, such events are not suitable for submission as event caches because the organizers and the primary attendees are not geocachers.

Based on this, I do not believe the suggested event will be published.

We think it's a GREAT idea!! We are inspired to think about doing one around here, except we have no mountains--we do have some high spots, tho. Don't worry about the above post, he's way off base. If you host your own event, for geocachers, separate from a Scout event, you're good to go! And the date doesn't matter.

Go for it! We'll be looking for your signal... :anicute::D

What is "On Target"? Is it something to do with Target stores?

It's something done in Boy Scouts, involving signal mirrors and mountain tops. Pretty kewl!

http://ontargetbsa.org/about.htm

What does "On Target" have to do with geocaching?

About as much as eating hotdogs, I'd imagine, yet I see loads of events where munching grub seems to be the primary objective.

I'd like to think that everyone knows how to eat hot dogs :D I don't think an event publishing a hot dog eating contest would be approved though. Perhaps my reading of the guidelines is flawed (wouldnt be the first time)

What is "On Target"? Is it something to do with Target stores?

It's something done in Boy Scouts, involving signal mirrors and mountain tops. Pretty kewl!

http://ontargetbsa.org/about.htm

What does "On Target" have to do with geocaching?

About as much as eating hotdogs, I'd imagine, yet I see loads of events where munching grub seems to be the primary objective.

I'd like to think that everyone knows how to eat hot dogs :D I don't think an event publishing a hot dog eating contest would be approved though. Perhaps my reading of the guidelines is flawed (wouldnt be the first time)

The guidelines were clarified at some point a year or two ago. Events must be organized by geocachers and be primarily meant for geocachers (an event that introduces muggles to geocaching could be approved so long as currently active geocachers are invited to attend). What you do at an event is pretty much up to you. You can have pizza eating events, hot dog eating events, picnic events, roller-skating events, bowling events, and even hiking events. You can't have an event for the sole purpose of an organized cache hunt. But you you do almost anything else. A "on target" event may have other problems since an event is meant to be a gathering of cachers. To have three cachers climb up on peak to signal another group that climbed another peak might not qualify as a gathering, since you couldn't list one set of coordinates for all the peaks involved. It might work as a series of simultaneous events on several peaks. The groups could then signal one another during the events.

Here's the test I use when evaluating the "by geocachers, for geocachers" clause in the listing guidelines:

If no geocachers showed up, would there still be an "On Target" event?

If the answer is "yes" then I'd refer the "event organizer" to Groundspeak if they disagreed with my decision not to list the event as a geocaching event.

I am thinking of organizing a Geocaching event for On Target this year and hoping for some input.

The annual date for it is the 3rd Saturday in July. But if there was enough interest I think it might be fun to having a GeoCaching On Target date a different day that the BSA one.

What are peoples thought on this?

Who would be interested in hosting or attending one and what summit would be of interest to you?

Here's the test I use when evaluating the "by geocachers, for geocachers" clause in the listing guidelines:

If no geocachers showed up, would there still be an "On Target" event?

If the answer is "yes" then I'd refer the "event organizer" to Groundspeak if they disagreed with my decision not to list the event as a geocaching event.

Based on the OP stating that it would be on a different day then it would pass your test, right?

Did everyone miss this part of my original post?

"But if there was enough interest I think it might be fun to having a GeoCaching On Target date a different day than the BSA one."

To clarify my thoughts a bit more what attempt to do is find a peak that no scouts will be on and hike to it for the event. What I think would even be cooler is if multiple events were organized on different peaks and we could signal to another group ("event") of geocachers and do it on a weekend other than the BSA weekend.

I would prefer to get out and see the world than to eat pot luck at the local park. To me an "event" is an activity were geocachers get together and do something a bit different than they normally do. I thought it would be fun to get a group of cachers together and hike to a summit and signal some other peaks. It would be even cooler if multiple groups got together on different summits and we signaled each other....

The events I enjoy the most are events such as launching rockets, caving, weekend backpacking trips, weekend camping trips, attending a local demolition derby, etc.. what do any of those have to do with geocaching???? They are an excuse for geocachers to get together and do an activity. I still don't see the difference between doing an On Target event and any of the other events I mentioned.

Yes, I did miss the distinction about the different day. It was mentioned at the tail end of your idea, and there was a typo. I gather that the official BSA event only occurs on one day?

So, if it's on a different day, then the answer would be "it depends on what it says on the cache page."

Yes, I did miss the distinction about the different day. It was mentioned at the tail end of your idea, and there was a typo. I gather that the official BSA event only occurs on one day?

So, if it's on a different day, then the answer would be "it depends on what it says on the cache page."

Yes the BSA event is just one day. They have a goal being able to pass a signal from Canada to Mexico or something like that. High pointers (aka Peak Baggers) have similair events too, but I am not up to speed on all that.

That's quite a distinction to miss in a three sentence post. It was not mentioned at the "tail end", it was in the middle. The typo in no way obscured the meaning of the sentence.

We still maintain that the date makes no difference as long as there is not an existing non-geocaching event that day at the same site.

The OP's idea is well within the guidelines, but maybe he needs to have a hot dog cookout at the summit so there will be no question... :D