So embarrassed

It's my ONLY cache, it's a 1 difficulty and I couldn't find it, lol, but I'm sure its there.

Thought I was making a quick stop by my cache yesterday with my 5 year old who was ready to release her first Travel Bug. We were going grocery shopping and thought it would take 5 minutes, didn't bother bringing the GPS, I knew exactly where it was.

Well after poking around in all kinds of wet and creepy crawly stuff, wading through thorns that I thought must have really grown alot since my last vist, we gave up.

Called home on the way to the store and told my 13 year old of our bloody nonadventure (I had gone in shorts and sandals and was determined to make it through the thorns so dd could drop her bug), when my 13 year old reminds me that I had first planned to place it in the spot I was looking, but later changed my mind because it LOOKED like it would be coved in thorns by spring. :D:anicute:

Note to the wise, bring your GPS even if you THINK you know where your own cache is :anicute:

earlier this year i wanted to pick up a coin from one of my caches, and there was some snow on the ground and i 'knew' where the cache was, so no GPS (it's MY cache!), and i must have went up/down/around the hillside/woods that it was hid, searching for MY cache, i was laughing inside, i almost was ready to go back home, re-load MY cache to find it, but i tried one more time and found it! good thing i remembered my OWN hints!! LOL. hope this makes you feel better.

Edited by Lovey Pigs

I have one cache that I haven't been able to find in a number of visits over 3 years. The first time I couldn't find it I archived it, assuming it was missing, but someone logged a find the same day, so I unarchived it.

Other people seem to have no trouble finding it. It has nearly a dozen finds in the last 3 years, but the only DNFs are mine.

I have a cache that needed a new log a couple different times. Both times, I couldn't find it to do maintenance on it. I can't count how many times I went by to look for that durn thing over time (it's near my home, so I can stop often), and couldn't find it, despite the fact that it kept being found by others. To be fair, the cache did get a lot of DNF's in general. I finally replaced it with a different container and now I can find it. :D Talk about frustrating and embarrassing. :anicute:

I have one cache that I haven't been able to find in a number of visits over 3 years. The first time I couldn't find it I archived it, assuming it was missing, but someone logged a find the same day, so I unarchived it.

Other people seem to have no trouble finding it. It has nearly a dozen finds in the last 3 years, but the only DNFs are mine.

That is just too funny! :D

El Diablo

Like briansnat I've archived one of mine, only to have someone find it - I had the reviewer unarchive it.

It's had 10 finds and one DNF since the unarchive.

I've DNFed it TWICE, myself. I hope it doesn't get a needs maintenance log, cause I can't find it to maintain it. Difficulty 1.5. I guess I should up that?

So....I could log it as a find and you wouldn't be able to verify that I'd actually signed the log.... :D

I thought I had posted a DNF to one of our caches a few years ago but I couldn't find it. The cache had been moved from it's hiding spot and other people were not having a problem finding it. We spend a couple of hours up and down that hill looking for it to put it back where it belonged. Couldn't find it. We went back a few days later and couldn't find it again. Got home to post a DNF and saw that a cacher had placed it where it belonged. I decided not to post a DNF that time so it didn't give people the impression that there might be a problem with it. I didn't think to check there the second time.

Just recently I archived one of our caches that had DNFs and couldn't find it. The original hiding spot was no longer useable. In that case it turns out a local cacher was walking his dog and saw it in the open so he rehid it. That's one of the reasons we tend to check for our missing caches after we archive them when we get back to the area.

That is just too funny! :D

El Diablo

Well in my defense someone apparently moved it about 30 feet. A fellow geocacher described where he found it to me and it isn't where I hid it. One of these days I'm going back armed with the new info, but the cache appears to be in good shape, so no hurry.

LOL, been there and done that! On one of our caches we Disabled it until we could go place a new container and it's almost immediately found by someone who doesn't know it's been lost. Another time, we spend a good twenty minutes looking for our cache only to find that someone hid it better than we did and it's been right there the whole time! That's a little humbling :huh::huh: I just feel better knowing we're not alone now!

What is sad is when it is a guardrail hide (magnet key holder), and you cant find it. My one keeps moving from post to post on the guard rail. Just surprised that it has not moved across the road to the other rail, since the cord point everyone over there.

We have a guardrail cache that used to get moved around a lot (funnily enough, it hasn't happened for a long time). It was moved up to 100 feet one time. I've always tried figuring that one out. Does someone just find it, then walk 100 feet and plunk it down? The cache is there for a nice view. If you move it 100 feet, you don't get that view anymore. Weird. :huh:

What is sad is when it is a guardrail hide (magnet key holder), and you cant find it. My one keeps moving from post to post on the guard rail. Just surprised that it has not moved across the road to the other rail, since the cord point everyone over there.

We have a guardrail cache that used to get moved around a lot (funnily enough, it hasn't happened for a long time). It was moved up to 100 feet one time. I've always tried figuring that one out. Does someone just find it, then walk 100 feet and plunk it down? The cache is there for a nice view. If you move it 100 feet, you don't get that view anymore. Weird. :huh:

The person who moved the cache 100 feet never even noticed the view. All they saw was another numbers cache.

The person who moved the cache 100 feet never even noticed the view. All they saw was another numbers cache.

Well, if that's the case, it's sad. Most people who find that cache really enjoy it.

Nah, that's only a 3.5 and I added .5 after my DNF. :huh:

I found wimsey's Lou Reed cache with a hint from the owner (that couldn't find it himself, teehee). I was back two other times trying to "help" others find it and never found it again. I have lost two of my caches before they were published so I know the feeling.

I got egg all over my face right in front of a WWFM 3 group. I hosted a Flash Mob event that was 40 feet from a cache I placed at the corner of 2 streets in a park. Dering the event a couple people who had not found it went over to look, No luck. Then some who had found it went to look, still no luck. I was called over to show where it was, I could not find it! :laughing: Then the smallest of the group got down on all 4ers and found it about 2 feet from where I hide it but with a Diff, of about 3 1/2 not the 1 1/2 I listed. It seems that some of the local cachers rehide some caches better than they found them.