Garmin Communicator

Is anyone else out there having problems with the Garmin Communicator plugin with Firefox?

If I click on the "Send to GPS" tab a small window opens as usual but it reports that the plugin is not detected - even if I have just re-installed it and the test page indicates it is all working. It seems to work in IE Tab but not the normal Firefox window. I have tried turning off Greasemonkey but that made no difference.

Any suggestions please?

I never normally use Garmin Communicator as I never use GCXXXX codes, I prefer GSAK Smartnames. However I just tried it and it worked fine with:-

Garmin Comm 2.5.1.0

Firefox 2.0.0.14

Greasemonkey, Adbock +, and several other addons running at the time.

It doesn't appear to be an inherent firefox problem - must be something to do with your settings.

Is anyone else out there having problems with the Garmin Communicator plugin with Firefox?

If I click on the "Send to GPS" tab a small window opens as usual but it reports that the plugin is not detected - even if I have just re-installed it and the test page indicates it is all working. It seems to work in IE Tab but not the normal Firefox window. I have tried turning off Greasemonkey but that made no difference.

Any suggestions please?

Firefox runs the plugin no probs on my 'pooter..

Vista x64 Ultimate, Firefox 2.0.0.14..

Even FF3 beta works, and I'll try it on Safari tonite.

Did you install it for IE and Firefox as 2 separate installs, or just for IE? It needs to be done for each browser you use.

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions. :D

I normally use GSAK to download to my Etrex to get the smart names but the plugin used to work fine.

I had a new cache published nearby and I just wanted to grab the data. The plugin seemed the way to grab the data in one hit but it did not work even after re-installing it as prompted.

I ended up downloading the GPX file direct into GSAK then sending it from there.

It is no big deal, I am just curious as to what is wrong with my settings.

Cheers,

Trevor

I had that problem once. I re-installed the Garmin USB drivers from the CD which came with the unit and it worked fine after that.

Thanks for the suggestion but mine is the original yellow Etrex with a serial cable. I am not sure where those drivers came from if they weren't part of the Communicator download... :laughing:

I'm having the same problem with Firefox. It used to work OK, but now can work once then not again! Downloading the plugin again doesn't seem to help as you can't steer it to Firefox.

I suspect it's conflicting with another Firefox security setting or plugin as it's fine with IE7.

However, I've now moved to Premier membership and Pocket Queries so it's no longer annoying me.

Chris

I'm having the same problem with Firefox. It used to work OK, but now can work once then not again! Downloading the plugin again doesn't seem to help as you can't steer it to Firefox.

I suspect it's conflicting with another Firefox security setting or plugin as it's fine with IE7.

However, I've now moved to Premier membership and Pocket Queries so it's no longer annoying me.

Chris

Thanks for the reply. :laughing:

As I said, I can do it other ways it was just a useful way to grab the co-ords for a new cache in one hit rather than wait for my PQ to arrive. :laughing: . Directing the GPX into GSAK then downloading from there does it for me...