Coordinate conversions?

Poozhie

My GPS displays in one set of coords. Google Earth displays another set. Does anyone know if there is a way to set the coords on Google Earth to match the coords on my GPS and on Geocahing.com? Or a conversion from one set of coords to another? I like to look at the land on Google Earth and a topo map to help pick the best route to caches so it is not too difficult for my daughter and niece. Thanks for your help in advance.

Edited by Poozhie

I haven't found a way to change the format in google earth to match GC. Somebody might chime in with one. Or, maybe a mass e-mail to the programmers from all geocachers!

Conversion is rather simple tho.

GE to GC

GE - 41° 09' 43.95" Just use the Microsoft calculator (or any protable one) and divide the 43.95 seconds by 60 to get 0.7325 which you round up to .733 - the coordinates for GC are then 41° 09.733'

GC to GE

GC - 41° 09.733' Calculator again only this time is multiply the .733 decimal by 60 to get GE 41° 09' 43.98"

Google Earth does accept the GC format N 41 09.733 W 080 44.493 for input and it will fly to those coordinates, but down below it will show the 09'43.98 if you put the cursor on the point.

You can set Google Earth to show different Coordinates by:

Tools- Options- 3d view tab- show lat/long

There are 4 different setting options.

Hope this helps.

Now THAT's what I was looking for! Guess you gotta look around the program when you download it. I searched the pitiful Google Earth Help and found nothing about that. Was that always there? Or was it part af an update....??

Thanks Bill!!!!!

bb2f5de5-1389-4aeb-82f2-751f87851bb5.jpg

Rattlebars,

I've only been using GE for about a month, so I'm not sure how long it's been there. I lucked upon it myself looking for something else. Glad I could help.

I'm fairly certain that it WAS NOT there in earlier versions. I also remember that GE would not even accept coordinates copied and pasted from GC.COM in Deg Dec Min and you had to type -80 for the longitude or it would not fly. Then after awhile, it would fly with the paste, but without the -80 you'd end up in Uzbekistan somewhere....

Now copy & paste right from the GC Waypoint page and GE flies just fine....

Now that I can see the coordinates in Deg Dec thanks you your help, I can find places to visit and be looking at coordinates I don't have to divide by 60 anymore!