info needed...right of way marker?

ziggystyles

Hi all, first time poster here...been a member of the site for a while, just don't have a GPS yet.

Yesterday while stopping along a highway up in Utah that I take as a shortcut home...I parked my truck and went for a short walk and came across a right of way marker. I can't seem to find any info on them, so I don't really know their purpose or what the numbers mean. One number means elevation, but it doesnt make sense as it says 1763, however we were easily above six thousand feet.

Ideas? Thanks!

TruckinwithRyan004.jpg

The pros can correct me, but I'll say:

This marks a corner between the highway right of way and adjacent landowner's property.

LS is land survey project number

C/L is feet to the R.O.W. (highway) center line

STA is station distance from wherever this highway section started, about 4+ miles away.

ELEV is elevation

set in 2002

This may not necessarily be a corner, but simply a station and offset along the Utah R/W.

The monument was set by:

Detail for 368359-2201

Name RYAN BLAKE CHRISTENSEN

City, State, Zip WEST HAVEN, UT 844016778

License Information:

Profession ENGINEER/LAND SURVEYOR

License Type PROFESSIONAL LAND SURVEYOR

License Number 368359-2201

Obtained By UNKNOWN

License Status ACTIVE

Status Change Reason RENEWAL OF LICENSE

Original Issue Date 04/17/2001

Expiration Date 03/31/2009

Disciplinary Action NONE

Docket Number N/A

As mentioned by BDT and Bill93 this has the

LS for the Land Surveyor in charge

59.714 for 59.714 meters or feet left or right from Centerline

22,801.888 feet or meters from the start of the stationing

1763.57 meters for the elevation(from what you have said) and

2002 the year of the survey

If the elevation is in meters, I would assume that all of the measurements would be in the metric system.

CallawayMT

I thought about the measuring all being metric, but if it 59.714 feet to the middle, that is a nominal 120 foot ROW which is enough for a 4-lane road. If it were meters, you would have a 392 foot ROW which wouldn't be common, especially on a road he called a "shortcut" that he parked alongside.

I thought about the measuring all being metric, but if it 59.714 feet to the middle, that is a nominal 120 foot ROW which is enough for a 4-lane road. If it were meters, you would have a 392 foot ROW which wouldn't be common, especially on a road he called a "shortcut" that he parked alongside.

Bill,

I agree, a 60' half-width is a fairly common road width. The DOT's have been going back and forth between metric and US standard for quite some time. Most are back to the US standard again. Using both on a project is not a great idea, but sometimes they are monumenting an R/W on an old project basis using the current standard.

Hi all,

Sorry I havent replied...had a brain fart here...I really need a GPS...anyone have a free one? lol...that and I thought I would get an email if anyone replied...lol.

1763.57 meters = 5785.99 feet.

Could that be the elevation?

Thats the weird thing...that doesnt make sense...its up in the mountains. Its a few miles from Garden City which is at the base of the mountain and that city is at 5968 feet, so Im thinking the marker would be up towards 7k feet?

59.714 for 59.714 meters or feet left or right from Centerline

22,801.888 feet or meters from the start of the stationing

The centerline makes sense as its not too far from the road...regular two lane state highway...

TruckinwithRyan007.jpg

To clarify...the road is a shortcut for me to take home because if I took the interstate, I end up looping around the same mtn chain south and it takes longer. Where my truck is parked is right at the top of this particular set of hills up in the mountains and its a small dirt pull off area.