Knife for a Travel Bug?

Adium

It seems that when someone is used to a system of strictly black and white terms, it is hard for them to wrap their minds around the shades of grey. Unfortunately civilian life is very much shades of grey.

The rules that you are referring to are actually guidelines. There is a bit of a difference. As well if you look at the guidelines under Cache Contents, the very first line says, "Use your common sense in most cases." Looking at the pocket knife in question, I tend to agree with what the majority of the posters here have said.

But if it really upsets you that much, try getting in touch with the TB owner again and find a way to get it back to him.

Or if you don't hear from the owner, I'm sure anyone on this thread would gladly take it off your hands for you.

I agree with this post! Sorry for the confusion as I quoted the wrong post yesterday!!

Knowing the TB owner, I'd have to say he meant no ill-will with sending this bug out in the wild, cut the man a bit of slack. As many have said, it's not a "knife" in the true sense and won't likely hurt anyone much! The TB is not the OPs and should NOT be kept or destroyed by him/her. IF the item does worry you, a piece of packing tape would keep it safe from most any child! As Eartha has asked, either ship it to him/her, ship back to owner or set it back into the world to travel!

Skrip, how you doing friend?? Thanks for the help at the CITO Saturday, much appreciated!!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

As Paul Harvey would say.... "And now, the REST of the story"

I noticed that the OP has a new cache that was archived due to a rules violation. Specifically, cache was hidden in a cemetery without permission. I also find it ironic that the cache page is a rant about too many rules.

Pot, meet Kettle. Kettle meet Pot.

Heres the cache in question

Can I ask what this has to do with anything? Were you merely trying to sling mud at the OP for taking a stance siding with the guidelines, or was there a point to be made that I missed? Posting a comment here now opens the OP to being under the scope? No wonder people would rather not post here!

Painting the OP in a bad light simply because of his beliefs is not a friendly thing to do...is it?

STOP!

This person has a mindset that can not be turned.

This same person was also taught about the use of a BIC pen with the pen removed and of course a pencil. Did I forget a Paperclip?

They will soon request those be blocked from being in a Cache. They are who they are.

If they really felt what they say, then why would they remove it and just leave for someone else.

Just stop feeding this person and move on, just remember who they are.

What is a Blood Circle? What is a Totin' Chip?

Sorry, I linked the wrong post yesterday....HERE'S where I meant to ask about respect!!

First of all, did your momma teach you to respect one another?? Please post respectfully as posting in this manner doesn't paint you in a very friendly light! friendly advice my friend!! Being snide or using sarcasm to get your point across isn't the best way to convey your message!

Some additional information may help this conversation:

The reason why Groundspeak has said a word about knives is that some land managers / park systems are very strict and clear about what is and is not allowed on their lands. Geocaching has even been banned from some areas because of the possible dangers to folks who find a geocache (intentionally or not) and to those who open that geocache and then subsequently handle what is inside. We respect the wishes of the land managers.

This background may help all of those who have been participating in this discussion. Do what you feel is best given what you now know. We have written the guidelines to guide all of us. It is good for the game when geocachers help everyone keep the game safe, fun and family-friendly. Frankly, it is good for all of us if we all behave such that the game doesn't get banned from certain parks.

What Would Jenn Do?

Keeping in mind that what is attached to a travel bug tag is owned by a certain person, I would contact that person and explain the situation, then work towards a mutually agreeable solution.

I'd also try to be a little bit friendlier than some of the folks who have gotten snippy in earlier posts.

Interesting discussion.

It seems to me that the phrase: "Use your common sense in most cases. Explosives, fireworks, ammo, lighters, knives (including pocket knives and multi-tools), drugs, alcohol or other illicit material shouldn't be placed in a cache. As always respect the local laws. Geocaching is a family activity and cache contents should be suitable for all ages." does not forbid to put a knive in a cache.

'Should not' and 'not allowed to' has a different meaning, but hey, english is not my native language. The message that the phrase above is telling us is clear to me: don't put the mentioned things in a cache and also all other things that are not suitable for all ages.

If a knive would visit my cache i would retrieve it from the cache and let the owner know that i am willing to send it back to him (it's not mine), but that i am not allowing it to travel through my cache.

By the way. I am what puzzled by the phrase: "Use your common sense in most cases". What were they thinking of when they wrote that B)

Friendly dutch greatings and save and happy caching!

By the way. I am what puzzled by the phrase: "Use your common sense in most cases". What were they thinking of when they wrote that B)

A lawyer wrote that. That means it doesn't have to make sense. Bottom line for this thread: Americans do what they want to do, when they want to do it. Till the lawyers get involved.

P.S. - I can say that. I am an American. You don't see any Lawyers nearby, do you?

Some additional information may help this conversation:

The reason why Groundspeak has said a word about knives is that some land managers / park systems are very strict and clear about what is and is not allowed on their lands. ...

I've never been in a park yet that bans knives. I've never had a park's employee approach me about either my pocket knife or a kitchen knife in the cooler when we picnic. It's mostly a perception issue.

It's far simpler to have the rule be honor local laws and rules. Then this entire debate would be "is the knife banned in that park? Then move it 3 caches over.

Changing tack.

It's too bad that one persons opinion, about a guideline based on a perception is messing with someones personal property like it's less important than the fluff that sparked the thread.

Edited by Renegade Knight

How many of us carry Leatherman-type tool when we cache or place caches? Seems like a lot of us do..... and seems to me like a teeny tiny one as a TB isn't a vicious threat, but rather more like an homage to a typical caching tool.

Agree or disagree with that, BUT the fact in this case is that the TB owner, Skrip, is one of THE nicest cachers one could ever hope to meet along a trail or anywhere else. He goes out of his way to help others, offers encouragement freely and frequently, and would be the last person to set up a cache or send a TB to purposely hurt, anger, annoy, or cause potential injury to anyone.

Our family has been extremely lucky to be able to cache with him and seek much advice from him (and yes, we have a young child who absolutely adores him - and he has gone out of his way to do special things for our son). Whoever made the comment about extra caching karma points - you have no idea how right you are. We've seen him be kind and generous to cachers that make us want to pull our hair out! B)

Skrip is a very good person and the negative comments made about him were completely unfair and mean-spirited. He deserves his property back and some apologies.....

This is a knife, regardless of what you all think about how dangerous it is, I could effortlessly kill anyone of you with it. A one inch blade held carelessly, with two fingers, to stab someone in a precise location on the arm or thigh can hit an artery causing that person to bleed out in less than 30 seconds.

What if someone attacks you with a banana?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RKTSwAVaoU

What if you come across a killer rabbit?

Edited by Wadcutter

It's windy and rainy, so it's not a very nice weekend to take the kids out for a cache hunt B) /sigh... this is GREAT for you guys though. I get to share my wisdom!! :)

Reading through this thread, it seems that the owner of the item has replied, but there were some good points made here.

• A knife is not a "good" item to place in a cache.
  • It's good to be concerned with other's safety while they are examining objects placed in a cache.
  • This little swiss army knife is not a life threatening weapon, but does pose a hazard if it has a blade out.
  • The knife probably shouldn't be modified, broken, or otherwise permanently disabled.

Someone suggested taping the knife shut, but realistically, the tape will probably come off after a short time, and leave a sticky residue where it used to be.

Here's my suggestion; Most any hardware, home improvement, electrical, automotive and maybe even a hobby or craft store has heat shrink tubing available in a variety of sizes for not too terribly expensive.

Here's a picture of heat-shrink containing a bundle of wires: axim_step6.jpg

All you would need is a 1-1.5' length of heat-shrink tubing with a big enough diameter to fit the knife. A lighter or even candle will provide enough heat to make the tubing shrink tightly around the knife, preventing accidental opening of the blade, doing no permanent damage, and tough that a small child couldn't remove it in the time you are signing the log, but removed easily by an adult who ends up keeping the knife.

That's my $.02

Edited by diveryan
This is a knife, regardless of what you all think about how dangerous it is, I could effortlessly kill anyone of you with it. A one inch blade held carelessly, with two fingers, to stab someone in a precise location on the arm or thigh can hit an artery causing that person to bleed out in less than 30 seconds.

What if someone attacks you with a banana?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RKTSwAVaoU

What if you come across a killer rabbit?

Bananas and rabbits aren't allowed in caches either.

You know............the 'no food' guideline? :blink:

Regardless of the size, if you stab someone in the right place they can bleed out in a matter of seconds.

The exact same could be said about a stick.

Normally, I'd stay the hell out of a topic like this, since the alternative is just asking for trouble... but I just had to say something. Everyone always give specific objects a bad stigma, when the exact same could be said about thousands of alternatives.

I think that you should return the bug tag to the owner if you do not feel comfortable letting the pocketknife travel. You are the person physically stopping the bug so you should give the tag back so that way the owner can move a new bug out.

Or offer to replace the bug on the tag, turning it into something new if the owner will let you.

either way, good luck. Happy caching.

-the mule

This thread caught my eye because I found a similar travelbug at the Geowoodstock VI event. It was a more dangerous knife than this one - It was about a 2 inch blade, no sheath... Just folded up.

I removed the knife, and posted a note to the TB page explaining why I removed it, and my shock in having found it. I also offered to put another hitchhiker on the bug.

After further reading of the TB logs, it seems that the Travelbug was released without a hitchhiker. It was meant to be just a moving dogtag. So, I doubt that the owner even knew about it. Someone along the way must have added the knife.

I still have the TB tag, and if I don't hear back in a week, I'm going to just place the tag into a cache and let it be from there.... I'd hate to give Geocaching a bad name in the press because some kid hurt themself, or someone else!

Please do not just place the tag into a cache. I will be more than happy to send you a traveler to use.

As for removing an improper traveler I highly recommend contacting a gc.com volunteer or employee before taking any action. Eartha as well as other reviewers are always available. Don't put yourself in a position where you don't have their support in taking a tb out of circulation.

I am late coming to this thread, and admittedly did not read all the posts.

The FAQ clearly states:

What shouldn't be in a cache?

Use your common sense in most cases. Explosives, ammo, knives, drugs, and alcohol shouldn't be placed in a cache. Respect the local laws. All ages of people hide and seek caches, so use some thought before placing an item into a cache.

Nothing states "small knives are okay"...I have trashed out at least a dozen knives from caches based on that rule. So what has changed??

I am late coming to this thread, and admittedly did not read all the posts.

The FAQ clearly states:

What shouldn't be in a cache?

Use your common sense in most cases. Explosives, ammo, knives, drugs, and alcohol shouldn't be placed in a cache. Respect the local laws. All ages of people hide and seek caches, so use some thought before placing an item into a cache.

Nothing states "small knives are okay"...I have trashed out at least a dozen knives from caches based on that rule. So what has changed??

Lets break the guideline down.

Use your common sense. - The knife is no more dangerous than any other sharp object in a cache (refering to pens and pencils, even pins that became unclasped.)

Explosives, ammo, knives, drugs, and alcohol shouldn't be placed in a cache - Merely states it shouldn't be, but then we are also told we shouldn't smoke cigarettes because its unhealthy, people still do it, since it's not against the law. There is no law that states no knives in the cache which goes with the next part of the guideline of: Respect the local laws. So unless there is a law that states no knives in a cache then it isn't breaking a law. (There may be laws about knives of certain lengths, Usually the length of over 3 inches is considered a weapon.)

What is on the site are merely guidelines. Not Laws.

The knife is also a TB, and there are no guidelines that state knives cannot be used as a TB. So if you feel the TB shouldn't be placed in a Cache fine. Take it to an event and hand it off to someone in person

Edited by ComputerCacheBug

OH AIN'T IT A JOY TO SEE WE HAVE TREE HUGGIN ANTI GUNNERS AND NOW EVEN ANTI KNIFE FOLKS OUT IN THE WOODS!! BETTER NOT KEEP ANY FORKS AROUND THE KITCHEN SOMEONE COULD GET SERIOUSLY HURT. BETTER NOT OWN A CAR WHAT IF A KID SLAMS THE DOOR ON THEIR HAND OR GOD FORBID KNOCKS IT OUT OF GEAR...BETTER REPLACE ALL YOUR WINDOWS IN YOUR HOME WITH PLEXI GLASS A KID COULD TRIP AND FALL INTO ONE AND BE SERIOUSLY HURT SHOULD I GO ON??? GET A LIFE PEOPLE. OH AND BY THE WAY IF YOU DAMAGE THE ITEM IN ANYWAY OR KEEP IT YOU ARE BREAKING THE LAW ! :grin:

I just started geocaching for some extra exercise and fun, but if this forum discussion is any indication of your definition of fun, I think I will forget about it. I'm 59 and when I was a kid I ate dirt, stepped on rusty nails, threw rocks, played with knives and survived. Today parents wrap their children in such tight cocoons of protectiveness that diseases that were thought to be gone are again causing problems. Infections that were minor inconveniences have become life threatening. More and more children suffer from asthma. Kids can't walk to school in many communities. Come on folks, get a life. The owner of the cache should put a notice on the cache that he or she will destroy any knife of any size left in the cache. Send the TB in question back to the owner and be done with it. Let's get back to caching and fun. :rolleyes:

I just started geocaching for some extra exercise and fun, but if this forum discussion is any indication of your definition of fun, I think I will forget about it.

This forum often greatly differs from the actual experience of actual geocaching. Don't let it keep you from looking for Tupperware in the woods.

stacie-n-jeff-foster,

Using ALL CAPS on the internet is typically considered the same as shouting at someone. You may want to reconsider using all capital letters.

And to those who say: "Get a life."

It's a bit harsh to say that, I think. There is absolutely no need to resort to such language.

Maybe a little personal background will also shed some light on my concern.

I recently completed 5 years of service in the United States Army. So maybe there is still a little bit of that military mentality left inside me. You do what you are told, and what the rules say to do and no further questions.

The rules say very clearly, "NO KNIVES". It doesn't have a "if", "and", or "but" anywhere in that statement. Its a very simple rule. The answer is "NO".

In my mind, (amazed to think so many people think differently), rules are rules! No twisting, bending, shifting, exceptions, VIP privileges, NOTHING! They are rules! According to the rules of Groundspeak, no knives. The creator of this travel bug, plus every person that had a hand in moving it along, are in violation of the rules.

This is a knife, regardless of what you all think about how dangerous it is, I could effortlessly kill anyone of you with it. A one inch blade held carelessly, with two fingers, to stab someone in a precise location on the arm or thigh can hit an artery causing that person to bleed out in less than 30 seconds. Easily to accidentally happen to a pair of 10 year old boys, (who are old enough to use a GPS) arguing over who can play with the knife (seen it happen) accidentally stabs the other in a location like the ones I just described.

Or imagine someone decides to do a little caching on a long lay-over at the airport grabs this TB in a hurry to visit as many caches as possible and still make their flight, ends up missing the flight cause they try to carry a knife on the plane. (I am sure airport security would call this a knife) The TB gets destroyed anyway and someone has to go through a lot of pain and agony cause they had confidence that fellow geocacher's are following Groundspeaks rules and guidelines. (I know lots of people who do this, its the best way to move a TB a very long distance quickly.)

I can sit here for hours going through possible scenarios.

If I had any authority at Groundspeak I would remove "Moderator" status from the moderator who suggested that I "let it go" or in other words said "ignore the rules". The TB would be deactivated so it is no longer trackable and the tag is scrap metal, the person who created the TB would receive a warning and be banned upon a second violation. Those who logged the TB would be sent a notice of the violation and be forced to read and agree the rules before being allowed to access their account. Like I said earlier I still have a bit of military mentality inside of me and don't take likely to disobedience. This is my own opinion based on that thinking.

Bottom line, it is in violation of the rules. I can't place this item in another cache without violating the rules myself. The owner is unresponsive to make a decision as of what to do with it. So, what do I do with it?

I am not letting it go, that is just irresponsible. It is clear though that I can't receive any reasonable answer so I will do what I think is best. I will send the tag off alone with a note explaining what happened and if the owner is ever contacted I can then mail him the knife.

Sorry for wasting everyone's time. You can continue your discussion if you want, my mind is made.

Wow. You know there are plenty of sharp sticks in the woods that can hurt you worse than that little multitool. I applaud you for looking out for your kids safety but you are out in the deep end in this post.

One other reason you shouldn´t let your kids go through a cachecontainer without you checking it first just came across my mind:

What happens if some drug addicted muggles find a cache and decide to trade some of their "tools" into the box? I think THAT is dangerous.

Due to that possibility you shouldn´t let your kids go through it at all without you checking it first! (Even without this possibility you shouldn´t!) Then you would find the TB and take it out in advance -> No danger left -> No problem for this TB

stacie-n-jeff-foster,

Using ALL CAPS on the internet is typically considered the same as shouting at someone. You may want to reconsider using all capital letters.

It's a bit harsh to say that, I think. There is absolutely no need to resort to such language.

i was shouting, morons tend to make me do that! and if you think "get a life" is bad language, it's a good thing i didn't say exactly what i think of people who throw a tantrum over a 2" knife!!!

Edited by stacie-n-jeff-foster

stacie-n-jeff-foster,

i was shouting, morons tend to make me do that! and if you think "get a life" is bad language, it's a good thing i didn't say exactly what i think of people who throw a tantrum over a 2" knife!!!

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?act=boardrules

3. Personal attacks and inflammatory behavior will not be tolerated. If you want to praise or criticize, give examples as to why it is good or bad. General attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated.

stacie-n-jeff-foster,

Ummm, your post just kinda makes you seem like one of those people you are objecting to. Post something that adds to the thread in an insightful way, offering up your unique perspective on the topic. Add to our collective community knowledge. We all know how to shout.

stacie-n-jeff-foster,

Ummm, your post just kinda makes you seem like one of those people you are objecting to. Post something that adds to the thread in an insightful way, offering up your unique perspective on the topic. Add to our collective community knowledge. We all know how to shout.

ok here's some insight.........just because some stupid people don't like pocket knives, they have no right to steal or destroy them if they belong to someone else. not to mention there are much more dangerous items in EVERY cache. let alone the dangers of driving to the cache and walking in the woods searching for caches. so there's some "community knowledge " for you. and when it comes to people complaining about knives or guns i am going to shout because peoples stupidity pisses me off!!!!!!!!!! if you have a problem with guns and knives because of your kids, then teach them how to properly use them instead of lieing to them by telling them they are bad or trying to keep them from knowing they even exist. and anyone who would let their young kids rummage through any type of "box in the woods" geocache or not, without first looking to see what is in it theirself is a complete idiot! i guess you should throw a fit over the boyscouts having their " scout knives" too huh??? give me a freakin break !!

stacie-n-jeff-foster,

ok here's some insight.........just because some stupid people don't like pocket knives, they have no right to steal or destroy them if they belong to someone else. not to mention there are much more dangerous items in EVERY cache. let alone the dangers of driving to the cache and walking in the woods searching for caches. so there's some "community knowledge " for you. and when it comes to people complaining about knives or guns i am going to shout because peoples stupidity pisses me off!!!!!!!!!! if you have a problem with guns and knives because of your kids, then teach them how to properly use them instead of lieing to them by telling them they are bad or trying to keep them from knowing they even exist. and anyone who would let their young kids rummage through any type of "box in the woods" geocache or not, without first looking to see what is in it theirself is a complete idiot! i guess you should throw a fit over the boyscouts having their " scout knives" too huh??? give me a freakin break !!

If you had taken the time to read my earlier posts you would know that I am strongly against the attitude of the OP. I saw no problem with the travel bug and felt the OP's actions were/are out of line. I don't have any problems with people owning weapons and using the responsibly either. I do, and I do. :)

Well, it isn't a good idea, because little children might play with them. Since this one has a sheath on it, and isn't a dangerous deadly knife, there isn't much you can do. It isn't the first one either. Keep the cover on it.

Wow. Bad answer. If I put an unloaded actual gun TB (complete with a trigger lock, and a cover on it) in a cache it isn't dangerous? And there isn't much you could do about it?

Guns are illegal, jacknives are not.

Instead of worrying about bizarre opportunities for unknown children to injure themselves in highly unlikely ways, wouldn't the energy be better spent teaching your own children about the proper handling of things like a jacknife so that your own children definitely won't hurt themselves?

There are things in geocaching that are vastly more dangerous or wrong than a little jacknife, and are commonly accepted - even when they are against the rules:

1. Caches on private property. How many caches are in mall parking lots, or on other land that is, in fact, private property without the knowledge, let alone permission of the land owner?

2. Caches on electrical transformers/boxes.

2a. Caches on under street light skirts. Both this and 2 are essentially the same, very real danger.

On the walk to a cache, a child could injure themselves in so many ways, that the remote chance that a child would injure themselves on a jacknife in the cache is truly irrelevant.

Edited by geoSquid
There are things in geocaching that are vastly more dangerous or wrong than a little jacknife, and are commonly accepted - even when they are against the rules:

1. Caches on private property. How many caches are in mall parking lots, or on other land that is, in fact, private property without the knowledge, let alone permission of the land owner?

2. Caches on electrical transformers/boxes.

2a. Caches on under street light skirts. Both this and 2 are essentially the same, very real danger.

I am glad I am not the only one to notice this. I have had to cross several local caches off of my list because the coordinates had me hunting around places or things I didnt think were appropriate (such as a gas main nearby a local park). There is a series I have found a few for that are hidden in and around local 7-11 stores, often near the rear entrance. I have a hard time looking because it looks like I am casing the place.

Is this a common thing with geocaching? What can be done to discourage folks from hiding caches in places like that?

-snip-

Easily to accidentally happen to a pair of 10 year old boys, (who are old enough to use a GPS) arguing over who can play with the knife (seen it happen) accidentally stabs the other in a location like the ones I just described.

-snip-

I was taught knife safety when I was about seven. If you're worried about 10 year olds stabbing each other, I think they should be taught knife safety as well. Parents are so paranoid about these dangers to their kids, the solution should be showing them how to properly use a knife and tell them the dangers of knife misuse.